Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old August 8 2013, 08:41 PM   #16
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Anyone else hate the "New" Deep Space 9 design?

Hate? No. Dislike? Yeah.

But the beauty of novels is I can imagine it however I want.
Old August 9 2013, 06:44 AM   #17
lonewriter
Lieutenant Commander

I hate it but will still read the books, I think this fan built station would have been perfect for the new DS9
Alternate design

Last edited by Unicron; August 10 2013 at 01:48 AM.
lonewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 05:02 PM   #18
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

It's just a book cover. Where's your imagination?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 05:29 PM   #19
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

^ Well, the link that was posted upthread contains some beauty shots (if you could call it that) of the new station design.

Having said that, I haven't really enjoyed the DS9 books all that much and I only really read them out of some sense of loyalty to the show itself and wanting to know what happens next. Since it turns out the original DS9 is basically being scrapped anyway, I no longer have a reason to keep on reading.
Old August 9 2013, 06:17 PM   #20
ComicGuy89
Lieutenant Commander

Not a fan but I don't hate it. There was a certain character to the old DS9 that I feel a Federation redesign would be unable to capture. Then again, the Galaxy class is not the Constitution class.
ComicGuy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 12:36 AM   #21
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
^ Well, the link that was posted upthread contains some beauty shots (if you could call it that) of the new station design.

Having said that, I haven't really enjoyed the DS9 books all that much and I only really read them out of some sense of loyalty to the show itself and wanting to know what happens next. Since it turns out the original DS9 is basically being scrapped anyway, I no longer have a reason to keep on reading.
But that's my point. What difference does it make in a book? Just imagine it looks like it always did.
Old August 10 2013, 01:47 AM   #22
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

lonewriter wrote: View Post
I hate it but will still read the books, I think this fan built station would have been perfect for the new DS9
Alternate design
I rather like that one actually. Nice use of the spacedock and drydock elements. However, I changed the image to a link because you should only link to images on your own host.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 08:06 AM   #23
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Why destroy the station in the first place? Besides didn't they tow Empok Nor into the Bajor System (it was a DS9/SCE crossover)? Couldn't they have just activated it and had it become Deep Space 9-A?
Old August 10 2013, 07:49 PM   #24
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Why destroy the station in the first place?
For the same reasons the original Enterprise and the Enterprise-D were destroyed--to do something shocking that forever changes the status quo.
Besides didn't they tow Empok Nor into the Bajor System (it was a DS9/SCE crossover)? Couldn't they have just activated it and had it become Deep Space 9-A?
I think in-universe, Starfleet may have decided to build a new state-of-the-art starbase that met Federation specifications and requirements rather than try to repurpose another abandoned Cardassian ore facility.
Old August 12 2013, 03:10 AM   #25
Storyteller
Ensign

Somehow, the new design doesn't bug me much. That window probably isn't glass; does anybody remember that scene in "First Contact" where Picard demonstrates a force field window to Lily? On a slightly (un)related note, I wonder if this picture rings a bell with anybody?

Old August 12 2013, 04:44 AM   #26
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Was that one of the conceptual space station desgns from "Beyond the Farthest Star"?
Old August 12 2013, 06:12 AM   #27
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Why destroy the station in the first place? Besides didn't they tow Empok Nor into the Bajor System (it was a DS9/SCE crossover)? Couldn't they have just activated it and had it become Deep Space 9-A?

IIRC, Empok Nor wasn't repairable as a whole, it was just useful for spare parts.

What I want to know about the pylons on the new DS9 is, what exactly are they for? When the pylons on the old station didn't connect at the top, it's obvious what they were for - starship docking. Do the pylons on the new station stand for anything except decoration? They don't connect to anything, do they?
Old August 12 2013, 06:58 AM   #28
Infern0
Captain

Those Nor class space stations were old and decrepit rust buckets

I'm not surprised they would opt for a modern replacement
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 11:33 AM   #29
Mage
Commodore

They ripped out the old fusion cores for DS9, since those were ejected when they overloaded thanks to sabotage early in the Relaunch. Cardassia couldn't supply new cores since their entire industrial infrastructure was messed up after the war.

As for a new station being build, if you read the books, it was made clear it was as much a symbol as a necesity. To show the Typhon Pact that the Federation won't be bullied down, and that they will rebuild. I think you could almost compare it to what the new Tower being build in New York. To rebuild exactly what was, can open up old wounds for some. But to build something new, something out of the ashes so to speak, is a powerfull symbol for some.
Old August 12 2013, 12:00 PM   #30
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Mage wrote: View Post
They ripped out the old fusion cores for DS9, since those were ejected when they overloaded thanks to sabotage early in the Relaunch. Cardassia couldn't supply new cores since their entire industrial infrastructure was messed up after the war.

As for a new station being build, if you read the books, it was made clear it was as much a symbol as a necesity. To show the Typhon Pact that the Federation won't be bullied down, and that they will rebuild. I think you could almost compare it to what the new Tower being build in New York. To rebuild exactly what was, can open up old wounds for some. But to build something new, something out of the ashes so to speak, is a powerfull symbol for some.
And they still should have build two towers, not only one.