February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 5 2011, 07:51 PM   #46
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: Marvel's Star Trek Comics (1980-82)

Cadet49 wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
ryan123450 wrote: View Post
I read these on the Comics DVD and was struck by how many rediculous stories there were. Dracula, Gnomes, Ghosts, etc. I know they were working under limitations, but seriously?
Sure, it's not like Star Trek would ever have done an episode about a haunted house, or Jack the Ripper, or Alice and the White Rabbit...
...or a recreation of the Old West, meeting a Greek God, Romans in Space ...
Seriously, those bizarre, Twilight Zone-ish episodes that made the classic Trek so great ... you never knew what to expect "out there"!

I just recently read those 80s Marvel comics, and thought many of them were great - really keeping with the tone of TOS.
Or another viewpoint would be that canon they may be, but that's what made classic Trek sometimes, er, pants...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2011, 08:03 PM   #47
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I say it made it fun!
Big, epic and fantastical stuff like the Enterprise crew being the Milky Way's antibodies against an 11,000 mile-long invading space amoeba? Awesome stuff.
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2011, 08:52 PM   #48
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Cadet49 wrote: View Post

Sure, it's not like Star Trek would ever have done an episode about a haunted house, or Jack the Ripper, or Alice and the White Rabbit...
...or a recreation of the Old West, meeting a Greek God, Romans in Space ...
Seriously, those bizarre, Twilight Zone-ish episodes that made the classic Trek so great ... you never knew what to expect "out there"!

I just recently read those 80s Marvel comics, and thought many of them were great - really keeping with the tone of TOS.
Or another viewpoint would be that canon they may be, but that's what made classic Trek sometimes, er, pants...

Don't forget Abraham Lincoln, Don Juan, Leonardo da Vinci, and women who turn into cats . . . and vise versa!

I gotta admit: I love the wilder, more fantastical aspects of TOS. I hope STAR TREK never takes itself so seriously that they can't run into Dracula or a giant floating hand once in a while . . . .
Old September 6 2011, 12:32 AM   #49
DorkBoy [TM]
Captain

Congratulations guys, you made me pull out my DVD collection (Goodreader + iPad = win) and start re-reading the Marvel run. I am a sucker for the TMP era.

I'm also painstakingly combining jpegs into PDFs with Acrobat now ... thanks for the link!
Old September 6 2011, 04:00 PM   #50
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Greg Cox wrote: View Post

I gotta admit: I love the wilder, more fantastical aspects of TOS. I hope STAR TREK never takes itself so seriously that they can't run into Dracula or a giant floating hand once in a while . . . .
This. First and foremost I want Star Trek to be entertaining.
Old August 11 2013, 04:33 PM   #51
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

I was doing a reread of the Marvel Comic Star Trek series and felt like doing some extra reading on it because I'm having so much fun. Ordinarily I wouldn't resurrect such an ancient thread but...

Marv Wolfman wrote, yes, but Dave Cockrum and Klaus Janson illustrated the issue. It was two pages' worth of material, and it included Spock saying that "Dracula was an Earth legend who supposedly survived 500 years until slain by a man named Quincy Harker. There were reports of his return, but they proved to be unfounded!" Since there's no "Quincy Harker" in Stoker's Dracula, I'm assuming that's a Marvel character.
You're right and you're wrong. Quincy [sic] Harker was a character in the Tomb of Dracula series and-as I recall-did kill Dracula in the last issue. So that was a direct reference to the comic series...

However... Quincey Harker was created by Stoker. He was the son of Jonathan and Mina Harker referenced at the end of the novel. He was only an infant so clearly he did not slay Dracula in Stoker's novel.

Last edited by Admiral James Kirk; August 12 2013 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Accuracy
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 10:55 PM   #52
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
I was doing a reread of the Marvel Comic Star Trek series and felt like doing some extra reading on it because I'm having so much fun. Ordinarily I wouldn't resurrect such an ancient thread but...

Marv Wolfman wrote, yes, but Dave Cockrum and Klaus Janson illustrated the issue. It was two pages' worth of material, and it included Spock saying that "Dracula was an Earth legend who supposedly survived 500 years until slain by a man named Quincy Harker. There were reports of his return, but they proved to be unfounded!" Since there's no "Quincy Harker" in Stoker's Dracula, I'm assuming that's a Marvel character.

You're right and you're wrong. Quincy [sic] Harker was a character in the Tomb of Dracula series and-as I recall-did kill Dracula in the last issue. So that was a direct reference to the comic series...

However... Quincey Harker was created-or at the very least inspired-by Stoker. He was the son of Jonathan and Mina Harker referenced at the end of the novel. He was only an infant so clearly he did not slay Dracula in Stoker's novel.
Exactly. It should be also be noted that little baby Quincey was named after Quincy Morris, a comrade of the Harkers who died in the final encounter with Dracula in the the novel. Marv Wolfman picked up on this in the comics, portraying Quincey Harker as an elderly man who has devoted his life to slaying Dracula once and for all.

Assisted by Rachel Van Helsing, of course!

Last edited by Greg Cox; August 11 2013 at 11:49 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 06:03 AM   #53
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

However... Quincey Harker was created-or at the very least inspired-by Stoker. He was the son of Jonathan and Mina Harker referenced at the end of the novel. He was only an infant so clearly he did not slay Dracula in Stoker's novel.
Exactly. It should be also be noted that little baby Quincey was named after Quincy Morris, a comrade of the Harkers who died in the final encounter with Dracula in the the novel.

Played by Billy "The Outrageous Okona" Campbell in Bram Stoker's Dracula. I do loves me the Trek connection.
Old August 12 2013, 06:34 PM   #54
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Exactly. It should be also be noted that little baby Quincey was named after Quincy Morris, a comrade of the Harkers who died in the final encounter with Dracula in the the novel.

Played by Billy "The Outrageous Okona" Campbell in Bram Stoker's Dracula. I do loves me the Trek connection.
Surely you mean Jordan Collier of THE 4400 . . . .
Old August 12 2013, 07:53 PM   #55
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

I'm pretty sure I meant Cliff Secord aka The Rocketeer.
Old August 13 2013, 01:32 AM   #56
Daddy Todd
Captain

You're all wrong, it was Dr. Jon Fielding from Tales of the City.
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote