RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,803
Posts: 5,471,850
Members: 25,037
Currently online: 569
Newest member: Sabra

TrekToday headlines

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 5 2011, 07:51 PM   #46
Relayer1
Commodore
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: Marvel's Star Trek Comics (1980-82)

Cadet49 wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
ryan123450 wrote: View Post
I read these on the Comics DVD and was struck by how many rediculous stories there were. Dracula, Gnomes, Ghosts, etc. I know they were working under limitations, but seriously?
Sure, it's not like Star Trek would ever have done an episode about a haunted house, or Jack the Ripper, or Alice and the White Rabbit...
...or a recreation of the Old West, meeting a Greek God, Romans in Space ...
Seriously, those bizarre, Twilight Zone-ish episodes that made the classic Trek so great ... you never knew what to expect "out there"!

I just recently read those 80s Marvel comics, and thought many of them were great - really keeping with the tone of TOS.
Or another viewpoint would be that canon they may be, but that's what made classic Trek sometimes, er, pants...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2011, 08:03 PM   #47
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: Marvel's Star Trek Comics (1980-82)

I say it made it fun!
Big, epic and fantastical stuff like the Enterprise crew being the Milky Way's antibodies against an 11,000 mile-long invading space amoeba? Awesome stuff.
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2011, 08:52 PM   #48
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Marvel's Star Trek Comics (1980-82)

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Cadet49 wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post

Sure, it's not like Star Trek would ever have done an episode about a haunted house, or Jack the Ripper, or Alice and the White Rabbit...
...or a recreation of the Old West, meeting a Greek God, Romans in Space ...
Seriously, those bizarre, Twilight Zone-ish episodes that made the classic Trek so great ... you never knew what to expect "out there"!

I just recently read those 80s Marvel comics, and thought many of them were great - really keeping with the tone of TOS.
Or another viewpoint would be that canon they may be, but that's what made classic Trek sometimes, er, pants...

Don't forget Abraham Lincoln, Don Juan, Leonardo da Vinci, and women who turn into cats . . . and vise versa!

I gotta admit: I love the wilder, more fantastical aspects of TOS. I hope STAR TREK never takes itself so seriously that they can't run into Dracula or a giant floating hand once in a while . . . .
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2011, 12:32 AM   #49
DorkBoy [TM]
Captain
 
Re: Marvel's Star Trek Comics (1980-82)

Congratulations guys, you made me pull out my DVD collection (Goodreader + iPad = win) and start re-reading the Marvel run. I am a sucker for the TMP era.

I'm also painstakingly combining jpegs into PDFs with Acrobat now ... thanks for the link!
__________________
Homer: The information superhighway showed the average person what some nerd thinks about Star Trek.
DorkBoy [TM] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2011, 04:00 PM   #50
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Marvel's Star Trek Comics (1980-82)

Greg Cox wrote: View Post

I gotta admit: I love the wilder, more fantastical aspects of TOS. I hope STAR TREK never takes itself so seriously that they can't run into Dracula or a giant floating hand once in a while . . . .
This. First and foremost I want Star Trek to be entertaining.
__________________
"If I hadn't tried, the cost would have been my soul." - Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 04:33 PM   #51
Admiral James Kirk
Writer
 
Admiral James Kirk's Avatar
 
Location: Tucson, AZ
Re: Marvel's Star Trek Comics (1980-82)

I was doing a reread of the Marvel Comic Star Trek series and felt like doing some extra reading on it because I'm having so much fun. Ordinarily I wouldn't resurrect such an ancient thread but...

Christopher wrote: View Post
Marv Wolfman wrote, yes, but Dave Cockrum and Klaus Janson illustrated the issue. It was two pages' worth of material, and it included Spock saying that "Dracula was an Earth legend who supposedly survived 500 years until slain by a man named Quincy Harker. There were reports of his return, but they proved to be unfounded!" Since there's no "Quincy Harker" in Stoker's Dracula, I'm assuming that's a Marvel character.
You're right and you're wrong. Quincy [sic] Harker was a character in the Tomb of Dracula series and-as I recall-did kill Dracula in the last issue. So that was a direct reference to the comic series...

However... Quincey Harker was created by Stoker. He was the son of Jonathan and Mina Harker referenced at the end of the novel. He was only an infant so clearly he did not slay Dracula in Stoker's novel.

Last edited by Admiral James Kirk; August 12 2013 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Accuracy
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 10:55 PM   #52
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Marvel's Star Trek Comics (1980-82)

Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
I was doing a reread of the Marvel Comic Star Trek series and felt like doing some extra reading on it because I'm having so much fun. Ordinarily I wouldn't resurrect such an ancient thread but...

Christopher wrote: View Post
Marv Wolfman wrote, yes, but Dave Cockrum and Klaus Janson illustrated the issue. It was two pages' worth of material, and it included Spock saying that "Dracula was an Earth legend who supposedly survived 500 years until slain by a man named Quincy Harker. There were reports of his return, but they proved to be unfounded!" Since there's no "Quincy Harker" in Stoker's Dracula, I'm assuming that's a Marvel character.


You're right and you're wrong. Quincy [sic] Harker was a character in the Tomb of Dracula series and-as I recall-did kill Dracula in the last issue. So that was a direct reference to the comic series...

However... Quincey Harker was created-or at the very least inspired-by Stoker. He was the son of Jonathan and Mina Harker referenced at the end of the novel. He was only an infant so clearly he did not slay Dracula in Stoker's novel.
Exactly. It should be also be noted that little baby Quincey was named after Quincy Morris, a comrade of the Harkers who died in the final encounter with Dracula in the the novel. Marv Wolfman picked up on this in the comics, portraying Quincey Harker as an elderly man who has devoted his life to slaying Dracula once and for all.

Assisted by Rachel Van Helsing, of course!
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com

Last edited by Greg Cox; August 11 2013 at 11:49 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 06:03 AM   #53
Admiral James Kirk
Writer
 
Admiral James Kirk's Avatar
 
Location: Tucson, AZ
Re: Marvel's Star Trek Comics (1980-82)

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
I was doing a reread of the Marvel Comic Star Trek series and felt like doing some extra reading on it because I'm having so much fun. Ordinarily I wouldn't resurrect such an ancient thread but...

Christopher wrote: View Post
Marv Wolfman wrote, yes, but Dave Cockrum and Klaus Janson illustrated the issue. It was two pages' worth of material, and it included Spock saying that "Dracula was an Earth legend who supposedly survived 500 years until slain by a man named Quincy Harker. There were reports of his return, but they proved to be unfounded!" Since there's no "Quincy Harker" in Stoker's Dracula, I'm assuming that's a Marvel character.


You're right and you're wrong. Quincy [sic] Harker was a character in the Tomb of Dracula series and-as I recall-did kill Dracula in the last issue. So that was a direct reference to the comic series...

However... Quincey Harker was created-or at the very least inspired-by Stoker. He was the son of Jonathan and Mina Harker referenced at the end of the novel. He was only an infant so clearly he did not slay Dracula in Stoker's novel.
Exactly. It should be also be noted that little baby Quincey was named after Quincy Morris, a comrade of the Harkers who died in the final encounter with Dracula in the the novel.

Played by Billy "The Outrageous Okona" Campbell in Bram Stoker's Dracula. I do loves me the Trek connection.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 06:34 PM   #54
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Marvel's Star Trek Comics (1980-82)

Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
I was doing a reread of the Marvel Comic Star Trek series and felt like doing some extra reading on it because I'm having so much fun. Ordinarily I wouldn't resurrect such an ancient thread but...





You're right and you're wrong. Quincy [sic] Harker was a character in the Tomb of Dracula series and-as I recall-did kill Dracula in the last issue. So that was a direct reference to the comic series...

However... Quincey Harker was created-or at the very least inspired-by Stoker. He was the son of Jonathan and Mina Harker referenced at the end of the novel. He was only an infant so clearly he did not slay Dracula in Stoker's novel.
Exactly. It should be also be noted that little baby Quincey was named after Quincy Morris, a comrade of the Harkers who died in the final encounter with Dracula in the the novel.

Played by Billy "The Outrageous Okona" Campbell in Bram Stoker's Dracula. I do loves me the Trek connection.
Surely you mean Jordan Collier of THE 4400 . . . .
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 07:53 PM   #55
Admiral James Kirk
Writer
 
Admiral James Kirk's Avatar
 
Location: Tucson, AZ
Re: Marvel's Star Trek Comics (1980-82)

I'm pretty sure I meant Cliff Secord aka The Rocketeer.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2013, 01:32 AM   #56
Daddy Todd
Captain
 
Daddy Todd's Avatar
 
Re: Marvel's Star Trek Comics (1980-82)

You're all wrong, it was Dr. Jon Fielding from Tales of the City.
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.