Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 11 2013, 09:46 AM   #136
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile
Re: News about early 2014 schedule

Its "The Fearful Summons". Just pulled it out of my collection. Just not my type of book.
I think I'll stick to the 5YM books as long as they keep doing them.

I knew it was after Kirk's retirement. I thought that everything after TOS was post-5YM. Sorry I didn't realise thats the terminology for the TMP era.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 10:58 AM   #137
Relayer1
Commodore

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Wasn't there also some odd Spock-on-stage references in Denny Martin Flinn's "The Fearful Summons"? He co-wrote ST VI and this novel was a highly-anticipated movie-era story that seemingly left many readers underwhelmed.

Ah:
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=...ons%22&f=false
If its the one I'm thinking if, it was truly awful - one of the worst books I've ever read. I seem to recall a smiling Spock...
Old August 11 2013, 01:21 PM   #138
Christopher
Writer

^Spock smiled in "The Cage," and when Uhura was singing to him in "Charlie X." And given his emotional epiphany in TMP, Spock smiling in the movie era isn't really out of character. The Fearful Summons has many, err, issues, but I wouldn't call that one of them.

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
I thought that everything after TOS was post-5YM. Sorry I didn't realise thats the terminology for the TMP era.
Well, sure, in the sense that the Internet age is post-WWII -- it's technically accurate to call it that, but too broad to be informative. Think about it: from "Turnabout Intruder" to ST:TMP is about four years. From TMP to The Undiscovered Country is twenty years. So a book like Ex Machina or The Covenant of the Crown is 4-5 times closer to the 5YM era than it is to a book like The Fearful Summons. "Post-5YM" covers an enormous span of time, and it should go without saying that a book set after TUC, with Kirk around 60 years old, Sulu off on his own command, the Enterprise decommissioned, Spock exploring a diplomatic career, and the crew having gone their separate ways except for occasional special missions, is not the same sort of tale as one set in the mission right after TMP, with Kirk just over 40 and the crew still pretty much the same as before except that Chekov's the security chief, Chapel's a doctor, and Spock has gained more balance between logic and emotion.

Not to mention that the relatively small number of books set in the movie era have been written by many different people over the course of more than three decades, so it would make no sense to expect any uniformity among them. You can't judge an entire era based on a single entry -- especially not The Fearful Summons, which... well, let's just say it doesn't have many fans.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 01:59 PM   #139
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Two things I remember from The Fearful Summons:

-Kirk being chatted up by a telepathic Phylosian in a bar.

-Sulu's Vulcan science officer exclaiming, "What in Hades?!"
Old August 11 2013, 03:24 PM   #140
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
You can't judge an entire era based on a single entry -- especially not The Fearful Summons, which... well, let's just say it doesn't have many fans.
I did read about half of "Mind Meld" about 4 years ago and thought that was pretty interesting before I misplaced my copy. Might be time to find it again. I'm sure thats a later era novel.
Old August 11 2013, 03:45 PM   #141
Christopher
Writer

Mind Meld is one of the several novels that take place on the E-A soon after TUC even though TUC was supposed to be the last mission of that crew aboard the E-A.

Old August 11 2013, 11:16 PM   #142
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

To be fair, Mind Meld actually explains that. The crew is on leave, awaiting their final orders (they're wondering if the ship will be repaired or scrapped) when she's placed on special diplomatic duty, reporting to Ambassador Sarek, for the duration of the novel. I think most of the post-TUC novels explain why the ship in still in service, which means you get this hodgepodge of decommissionings and recommisionings.
Old August 12 2013, 12:06 AM   #143
Christopher
Writer

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
I think most of the post-TUC novels explain why the ship in still in service, which means you get this hodgepodge of decommissionings and recommisionings.
Well, the first three TOS hardcovers to come out after TUC were all set just after it, but each one handled it differently. Best Destiny started out with the ship heading for decommissioning, but the events of the novel led to that decision being reversed -- something I was amazed Carey was allowed to get away with in that era. Shadows on the Sun, conversely, had the ship coming in for decommissioning on schedule, in keeping with the end of the movie. But then Sarek completely ignored the end of the movie and had the ship still in service without any explanation.

Of the later post-TUC/pre-GEN books, Mind Meld is the only one where the crew is still serving together on the Enterprise. The Ashes of Eden shows the decommissioned E-A's destruction, and the ship doesn't appear in The Fearful Summons or The Last Roundup.

Old August 12 2013, 02:18 AM   #144
JWolf
Commodore

Is The Last Roundup worth reading?
Old August 12 2013, 02:49 AM   #145
TheAlmanac
Writer

View TheAlmanac's Twitter Profile

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
I think most of the post-TUC novels explain why the ship in still in service, which means you get this hodgepodge of decommissionings and recommisionings.
It seems like such a strange choice to set so many stories during this specific period. If you're so keen to tell a story with that Enterprise-A crew, what's wrong with a story set in 2292?

But then Sarek completely ignored the end of the movie and had the ship still in service without any explanation.
At the time, I think I was still viewing the novels as more interconnected, since I assumed the reversal from Best Destiny carried over into Sarek.

The History of Things That Never Were
TheAlmanac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 03:10 AM   #146
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

Wow I didn't realise that "Sarek" was post TUC but there it is on the back cover "After the events of STAR TREK VI:THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY". I suppose now thinking about it, it has Amanda dying and she was alive at least until TVH.

So this begs the questions that have already been asked:
1. Why are most TOS books set 5YM?
2. Why no Abrams Universe books?
3. Why are other Trek series books set after/before the TV series/movies (is that correct - I don't read them?)

Is the answer to 1. that there are people like me who mostly want 5YM, or because the timeline after the first 5YM is in debate?
Is the answer to 2. that Bad Robot wants to control the reboot universe :waves fits at Abrams:
Old August 12 2013, 03:31 AM   #147
Christopher
Writer

TheAlmanac wrote: View Post
It seems like such a strange choice to set so many stories during this specific period. If you're so keen to tell a story with that Enterprise-A crew, what's wrong with a story set in 2292?
These were the first three once-a-year hardcovers that came out after TUC, as I said. The hardcover format meant they were higher-profile, and maybe it was considered appropriate for them to be "current" -- similarly to how the DC comics mostly kept current with the films' timeframe.

Or maybe it's that Diane Carey, Mike Friedman, and Ann Crispin all independently felt they had one more story to tell after the "final adventure." Evidently Christie Golden had the same desire when she later wrote The Last Roundup.

As for The Fearful Summons, that book was written for one specific reason: to recycle the abandoned "Kirk reassembles the crew" sequence that was supposed to open TUC. So it had to be set in a time when the crew had gone their separate ways.

As for The Ashes of Eden, Shatner tended to base his Kirk novels on where he was in his own life, so naturally he set his story after Kirk's retirement.

As for Mind Meld, I have no idea why it was set there instead of between TFF & TUC.

But then Sarek completely ignored the end of the movie and had the ship still in service without any explanation.
At the time, I think I was still viewing the novels as more interconnected, since I assumed the reversal from Best Destiny carried over into Sarek.
Which would've been easier to buy if Shadows on the Sun hadn't come out between them.

Although it's easy enough to assume the books take place out of publication order -- say, the events of Best Destiny cause a temporary postponement of the decommissioning, then Sarek and Mind Meld happen, then the decommissioning goes ahead after all and Shadows on the Sun happens, followed by The Last Roundup and The Ashes of Eden. That's how the chronology in Voyages of the Imagination does it, anyway.

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
So this begs the questions that have already been asked:
1. Why are most TOS books set 5YM?
2. Why no Abrams Universe books?
3. Why are other Trek series books set after/before the TV series/movies (is that correct - I don't read them?)

Is the answer to 1. that there are people like me who mostly want 5YM, or because the timeline after the first 5YM is in debate?
Is the answer to 2. that Bad Robot wants to control the reboot universe :waves fits at Abrams:
1. Most TOS books are in the 5-year mission because that's the most popular setting. Apparently movie-era books don't sell as well -- though TWOK-era books are evidently a safer bet than TMP-era ones.

2. There have been Abramsverse books, the young-adult Starfleet Academy novels, though there don't seem to be any more of those coming up. Otherwise, Bad Robot seems content to focus on comics and video games.

3. The books based on the shows other than TOS tend to be set after the series because there's more storytelling freedom, since characters can grow and change. Particularly for something like DS9, which was heavily serialized, there's not as much room to fit in stories during the series. But TOS was always a more episodic series and so standalone stories that put everything back in the box at the end seem to be better-received by TOS fans.

Old August 12 2013, 04:33 AM   #148
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

3. The books based on the shows other than TOS tend to be set after the series because there's more storytelling freedom, since characters can grow and change. Particularly for something like DS9, which was heavily serialized, there's not as much room to fit in stories during the series. But TOS was always a more episodic series and so standalone stories that put everything back in the box at the end seem to be better-received by TOS fans.
Plus, the later series were left open-ended so there's more future to explore, as opposed to the TOS characters whose futures were roughly charted over the course of the movies--and where we already know the future of the Federation up to the TNG era.

Granted, there are still nooks and crannies in the 23rd Century left to explore, but it's not like the 24th Century where you can keep on going without bumping into the pre-established continuity of the Next Next Generation!
Old August 12 2013, 01:30 PM   #149
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Or maybe it's that Diane Carey, Mike Friedman, and Ann Crispin all independently felt they had one more story to tell after the "final adventure." Evidently Christie Golden had the same desire when she later wrote The Last Roundup.
I think that last may have come from John Ordover rather than Christie Golden, as The Last Roundup was originally announced as a trilogy by Diane Carey (books #98 - 100).

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 01:44 PM   #150
Christopher
Writer

^Oh yes, that's right, I remember now. It was supposed to be the conclusion of the numbered-novel era, finishing it off with #100, so I guess the idea was to make it the (latest) final adventure of the full original cast. But when the plans with Carey didn't work out, they turned it into a non-numbered hardcover instead -- probably because they'd lost time by having to restart, and one book took less time than three.