New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 1 2013, 08:20 PM   #31
AtoZ
Commander

Re: Grace Lee Whitney - The Year After Leaving TOS

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
toonloon wrote: View Post
There was a British TV show called "Bring Back Star Trek" in which Grace blamed her character getting written out on positive discrimination, or, as you say in America, affirmative action.

If I'm honest, it made uncomfortable viewing for me.
Huh? How would that have worked? She wasn't replaced by anyone. No one got her job. They eliminated the part all together.
The recurring cast got smaller by one to save money. Grace thought that her primary competitor benefited from being African American.

She could be partly right, in that the show might have found it awkward to eliminate its only black actor. But a much greater factor was the way Grace's minority competitor would strip naked and hide under the executive producer's desk to perform oral sex, and gush about how much she loved him. Little did Grace know, there was simply no way to compete with that.
Agree
AtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 11:37 PM   #32
Harvey
Admiral

toonloon wrote: View Post
There was a British TV show called "Bring Back Star Trek" in which Grace blamed her character getting written out on positive discrimination, or, as you say in America, affirmative action.

If I'm honest, it made uncomfortable viewing for me.
Huh? How would that have worked? She wasn't replaced by anyone. No one got her job. They eliminated the part all together.
The recurring cast got smaller by one to save money. Grace thought that her primary competitor benefited from being African American.

She could be partly right, in that the show might have found it awkward to eliminate its only black actor. But a much greater factor was the way Grace's minority competitor would strip naked and hide under the executive producer's desk to perform oral sex, and gush about how much she loved him. Little did Grace know, there was simply no way to compete with that.
Nichols was only paid a fraction of Whitney's per episode salary (which was comparable to DeForest Kelley's), and only employed as a day player, not a regular. Whitney's release obviously didn't come down to any single issue, it I doubt it had much of anything to do with race.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2013, 01:28 AM   #33
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Harvey wrote: View Post
Nichols was only paid a fraction of Whitney's per episode salary (which was comparable to DeForest Kelley's), and only employed as a day player, not a regular. Whitney's release obviously didn't come down to any single issue, it I doubt it had much of anything to do with race.
If Whitney was being paid like a lead, when the show clearly had no intention of letting her play a lead, and she didn't have the race thing going for her, and she was the only recurring actress not "sleeping" with GR, then how the hell did she last 13 episodes?

Whitney's fate was probably sealed before they wrapped on her second episode.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2013, 01:51 AM   #34
Harvey
Admiral

Like all the regulars, she had a contract for X out of 13 episodes. In her case, at least 7 out of 13. At the end of that 13 episode production cycle, the studio could opt to renew the contract for another 13 episodes, or release the actor from the contract. In Whitney's case, she was released.

The studio couldn't release the actor before then without eating their salary for that production cycle, which Star Trek clearly could not afford to do.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2013, 01:52 AM   #35
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
If Whitney was being paid like a lead, when the show clearly had no intention of letting her play a lead, and she didn't have the race thing going for her, and she was the only recurring actress not "sleeping" with GR, then how the hell did she last 13 episodes?

Whitney's fate was probably sealed before they wrapped on her second episode.
She was intended to be a secondary lead like Kelley, which is why she had "Randcentric" episodes like Enemy With In, Charlie X and Miri. Whitney and Kelley get the same type of billing. When they let her go, her part went to one off characters like Helen Noel not Uhura. Whitney and Kelley get the same type of billing.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 09:05 AM   #36
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

When they let her go, her part went to one off characters like Helen Noel not Uhura. Whitney and Kelley get the same type of billing.
Yep, the original scripts for "Dagger of the Mind" and "The Galileo Seven" supposedly featured Rand rather than Noel and Mears. Whitney calls those episodes her "least favorite".
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 03:19 PM   #37
mb22
Lieutenant Commander

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
When they let her go, her part went to one off characters like Helen Noel not Uhura. Whitney and Kelley get the same type of billing.
Yep, the original scripts for "Dagger of the Mind" and "The Galileo Seven" supposedly featured Rand rather than Noel and Mears. Whitney calls those episodes her "least favorite".
Whitney was still part of the cast when "Dagger of the Mind" was filmed. I guess they were rethinking her role even then.
mb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 09:12 PM   #38
Therin of Andor
Admiral

mb22 wrote: View Post
Whitney was still part of the cast when "Dagger of the Mind" was filmed. I guess they were rethinking her role even then.
Yep. They were definitely regretting putting her on the 13-week contract, and for playing the Kirk/Rand attraction too strong, too often, too early. Also, she was struggling with her addiction to diet pills and she wasn't very well.
Old August 5 2013, 10:44 PM   #39
mb22
Lieutenant Commander

Yep. They were definitely regretting putting her on the 13-week contract, and for playing the Kirk/Rand attraction too strong, too often, too early.
I guess it was too late to rewrite the "Miri" script (Rand's last major episode and filmed right after "Dagger").
mb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 05:38 AM   #40
Tulin
Vice Admiral

AtoZ wrote: View Post
Not too long ago I saw some rare pictures of her visiting the set and lunching with Nimoy and Shatner (who were in costume) and to me it looked like an enjoyable reunion. The pics hinted that this occurred somewhere midway through S2.
The Paramount Commissary was a place to be seen. By casting people.

If you check out IMDb, Grace was still quite busy in the years immediately after Trek, so being on the Paramount lot would be business as usual.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0926298/
COMPLETELY off topic but when I look at your photo, I just imagine you talk like Ed Wynn.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 07:00 AM   #41
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Yep. They were definitely regretting putting her on the 13-week contract, and for playing the Kirk/Rand attraction too strong, too often, too early.
"They were definitely regretting"? What's your source for that?
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 07:36 AM   #42
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
"They were definitely regretting"? What's your source for that?
I can't quote one, but an interview with Roddenberry about Whitney's departure. The cast budget couldn't afford a character that wasn't needed in every episode.
Old August 11 2013, 11:19 PM   #43
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Given the many conflicting stories about why she was let go, I don't think there's any definitive answer anywhere. Roddenberry often dissembled about what actually happened, so I'd take any comments by him with a grain...make that a lick of salt.
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 01:25 AM   #44
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Maurice wrote: View Post
Roddenberry often dissembled about what actually happened, so I'd take any comments by him with a grain...make that a lick of salt.
GR was absolutely one of the least truthful storytellers in Star Trek's oral history. He put out a lot of bull over the years.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote