RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,926
Posts: 5,389,592
Members: 24,720
Currently online: 546
Newest member: MrSpock

TrekToday headlines

New Trek-themed Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Aug 21

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 11 2013, 04:56 PM   #16
SJSharksfan39
Admiral
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Location: Clone Club
View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Over.100 channels.and almost no scifi

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Best series I've seen this year. Looking forward to season 2.
__________________
Twitter
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 04:59 PM   #17
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Over.100 channels.and almost no scifi

Dream wrote: View Post
100 channels and nothing worth watching. Overpriced cable bill. Aren't those common complaints everywhere?
That and "Argh! Too much choice from On Demand!"
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 05:48 PM   #18
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Over.100 channels.and almost no scifi

^ C'mon, Greg, you know as well as I do that the lack of prime-time showings of The Ghost and Mrs. Muir is nothing short of a travesty.

Last edited by Gaith; August 11 2013 at 06:09 PM.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 06:01 PM   #19
cylkoth
Commodore
 
Re: Over.100 channels.and almost no scifi

SiddFinch1 wrote: View Post
So I have a ton of channels and despite having a syfy channel there I 1 channel.showing Tos one time a week; Tnt on one channel. The other treks never on. TAS..never.. No battlestar galactica..either version ..no Babylon 5..no farscape..minimal twilight zone other than new years marathon..no outerlimits..original..the one on showtime at times.. no planet if the apes tv show or cartoon..

Is it a lack of ratings? Too expensive? An attempt to sell.Dvds? The serialized nature of b5? The dated look?
As mentioned by others, the shows you're interested in are simply old now, and don't get play on mainstream tv stations or basic cable networks that aren't specifically targeting a particular genre. Non genre shows made during those same eras are also by passed. Why, even TV Land, which was created to feature classic tv, now has a schedule filled with more modern era series and even produces originals.

While there is plenty of genre tv airing now, overtly, unabashedly, ''science fiction'' shows have lost ground to genre lite and fantasy based series. Orphan Black, Fringe, Falling Skies, Defiance, Continuum, Doctor Who, Primeval New World. That's it.
''Genre Lite & Action''-Arrow, Revolution, Under the Dome, Person of Interest, Nikita, the canceled Alphas...
''Fantasy/Horror''-The Walking Dead, Supernatural. Grimm, Vampire Diaries, Once Upon a Time, Beauty & the Beast, Lost Girl, Being Human US & UK, American Horror Story, Warehouse 13, Haven, the cancelled Eureka, Sanctuary, & Sinbad, Netflix' Hemlock Grove.

Recent shows that have ended (or long running and still in production) whose reruns get regular play include TNT airings of Charmed-2 hrs daily, SPN-3 hrs daily. Syfy still airs TNG (as does BBC America), and SG1 with MGM owned THIS TV also running it. BBC America runs nuWho 2 hrs during the weekdays, and alternates it with BSG.
The Chiller channel-sister of Syfy, has Buffy. (I don't get that channel, so I don't know what else they might run). Finally, there's the superhero and fantasy animated shows on Cartoon Network, Nick, Disney XD and The Hub.
__________________
Have spacesuit...will travel.
cylkoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 06:05 PM   #20
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Over.100 channels.and almost no scifi

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
SiddFinch1 wrote: View Post
1 channel.showing Tos one time a week; Tnt on one channel. The other treks never on. TAS..never..
You don't have BBC America?
Depending on where you live, BBCA is not always part of the standard cable package. I'd have to pay extra to get BBCA, much to my growing frustration.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 06:57 PM   #21
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Over.100 channels.and almost no scifi

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
SiddFinch1 wrote: View Post
1 channel.showing Tos one time a week; Tnt on one channel. The other treks never on. TAS..never..
You don't have BBC America?
Depending on where you live, BBCA is not always part of the standard cable package. I'd have to pay extra to get BBCA, much to my growing frustration.
True. But one complaining about having so many channels but not sci fi programming who feels strongly enough should upgrade their package.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 07:30 PM   #22
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Over.100 channels.and almost no scifi

Gaith wrote: View Post
^ C'mon, Greg, you know as well as I do that the lack of prime-time showings of The Ghost and Mrs. Muir is nothing short of a travesty.
Every day I search my cable listings in vain . . .

Seriously, there's so much on TV these days that just keeping up with it can be challenge. At the moment, I'm two episodes behind on both TEEN WOLF and CONTINUUM and I typically have at least two or three old genre movies sitting on my DVR waiting to be viewed.

For example, I still haven't gotten around to watching THE SEVEN FACES OF DR. LAO, which I taped a few weeks ago, because I've been too busy binge-watching BIG BANG THEORY reruns on TBS . . .
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 07:48 PM   #23
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Over.100 channels.and almost no scifi

One of the things I'm finding a problem with Netflix is that there is just too much I want to watch and more being added. So I usually end up watching rubbish because I don't want to get in to something I don't have time to finish.
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 07:52 PM   #24
Opus
Commodore
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Location: Bloom County
Re: Over.100 channels.and almost no scifi

I've been watching reruns of The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman on some retroTV network. It's been great, but I have surely felt my age as most of the commercials have to do with Liberty Mutual life insurance, prostate care and reusable catheters.
__________________
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 08:04 PM   #25
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Over.100 channels.and almost no scifi

Opus wrote: View Post
I've been watching reruns of The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman on some retroTV network. It's been great, but I have surely felt my age as most of the commercials have to do with Liberty Mutual life insurance, prostate care and reusable catheters.
Hah! I know the feeling!
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 08:15 PM   #26
jayceee
Commander
 
Re: Over.100 channels.and almost no scifi

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
One of the things I'm finding a problem with Netflix is that there is just too much I want to watch and more being added. So I usually end up watching rubbish because I don't want to get in to something I don't have time to finish.
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Seriously, there's so much on TV these days that just keeping up with it can be challenge. At the moment, I'm two episodes behind on both TEEN WOLF and CONTINUUM and I typically have at least two or three old genre movies sitting on my DVR waiting to be viewed.

For example, I still haven't gotten around to watching THE SEVEN FACES OF DR. LAO, which I taped a few weeks ago, because I've been too busy binge-watching BIG BANG THEORY reruns on TBS . . .
This sort of thing happens too when one owns a large dvd/bluray collection (independent of having a cable/satellite/streaming service).

Over the last several years I accumulated a large collection of tv show dvd season sets. (Mostly stuff found in bargain bins under $15). Even without watching a lot of current first run tv shows, I've been slowly making my way through these dvd season sets. By my own estimates, I believe I have only watched through around 25% or 30% of my dvd collection. (It usually takes me around a week or so to finish a season of 20+ episodes on dvd, if I watch 3 or 4 episodes every evening).
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 08:23 PM   #27
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Over.100 channels.and almost no scifi

Yep, I have a big DVD collection, which I'm starting to get rid of, but I think "I'll start watching (Buffy/X-Files/DS9) and then I start and before I get through much of it I think "I want to watch (Farscape/Battlestar Galactica/Being Human) and it seems like I never get through anything any more because it's just too tempting to start something else.
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 08:46 PM   #28
jayceee
Commander
 
Re: Over.100 channels.and almost no scifi

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
Yep, I have a big DVD collection, which I'm starting to get rid of, but I think "I'll start watching (Buffy/X-Files/DS9) and then I start and before I get through much of it I think "I want to watch (Farscape/Battlestar Galactica/Being Human) and it seems like I never get through anything any more because it's just too tempting to start something else.
I know the feeling.

I use to buy a lot of $5 blurays and $2/$3 dvd movies, and $10-$15 tv season sets. A lot of this ended up being stuff that "I think I'll watch someday on a rainy day".

With so many unwatched dvds/blurays on my bookshelves, I eventually got burned out on "collecting" it. I decided to stop regularly buying new movies and tv show season sets, back at the beginning of this year. It didn't make much sense anymore buying dvds/blurays that I only watch once, or didn't watch at all (ie. I'll watch it on a rainy day someday, sorta deal).
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 08:54 PM   #29
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Over.100 channels.and almost no scifi

jayceee wrote: View Post
Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
Yep, I have a big DVD collection, which I'm starting to get rid of, but I think "I'll start watching (Buffy/X-Files/DS9) and then I start and before I get through much of it I think "I want to watch (Farscape/Battlestar Galactica/Being Human) and it seems like I never get through anything any more because it's just too tempting to start something else.
I know the feeling.

I use to buy a lot of $5 blurays and $2/$3 dvd movies, and $10-$15 tv season sets. A lot of this ended up being stuff that "I think I'll watch someday on a rainy day".

With so many unwatched dvds/blurays on my bookshelves, I eventually got burned out on "collecting" it. I decided to stop regularly buying new movies and tv show season sets, back at the beginning of this year. It didn't make much sense anymore buying dvds/blurays that I only watch once, or didn't watch at all (ie. I'll watch it on a rainy day someday, sorta deal).
I stopped regularly buying DVDs when I got Netflix, but yeah, I have so many that I think "I'll watch again some day" and then never actually want to watch when I go to look at the DVD shelves.
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 09:26 PM   #30
jayceee
Commander
 
Re: Over.100 channels.and almost no scifi

The other thing I've been noticing as I got older, is how a lot of stuff I use to really like watching when I was younger, looks kinda "cheesy" and quaint through the eyes of a middle aged adult.

Yesterday I decided to clear out some old stuff from my dvr. So I ended up watching through a bunch of movies, which I taped over the last two months or so. There were several Resident Evil movies, Demolition Man, some James Bond movies I haven't seen in in ages, etc ...

When I was younger, I really liked Demolition Man. But watching it now, I found the movie to be kinda silly and mindless.

Watching through the Resident Evil movies, they seemed like mindless action movies with a minimal plot. This was definitely the sort of thing I could have got into when I was younger. Today, not so much.
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.