RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,658
Members: 24,813
Currently online: 398
Newest member: SB118_Pavlova

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old August 10 2013, 11:29 PM   #76
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: What you DON'T want to see in Star Trek 3

I'm still in the camp that says reimagined big budget Borg would be all kinds of awesome. Ditch the Uncle Fester make up and rubber costumes, and use CG to remove body parts and replace with machinery. The only problem is not making them too grotesque and cranking up the age rating.
Old August 10 2013, 11:53 PM   #77
The Keeper
Commodore

That's the same kind of imaginary that drew me into that way of thinking in the first place. Agreed, it would be ten kinds of cool but can we not keep something sacred. Save the Borg and it's inherently awesome possibility's for the proper time and place.

Doing a Borg story with the OS crew would send shock-waves through fandom like we've never seen before as it would send a message - TNG is very unlikely to happen, and though I was an OS fan first that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to see them have a shot at the big time eventually.
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 11:58 PM   #78
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I'm still in the camp that says reimagined big budget Borg would be all kinds of awesome. Ditch the Uncle Fester make up and rubber costumes, and use CG to remove body parts and replace with machinery. The only problem is not making them too grotesque and cranking up the age rating.
The only way I could be interested in another Borg story is ditch the Borg Queen and take them back to just being a massive hive mind and near force of nature. have 'em just rolling through and over races and assimilating for no other reason that it being instinct. Intergalactic locusts as it were.

And you know, you just know, they'd assimilate Uhura and make her the Borg Queen.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 02:45 AM   #79
NuFan
Lieutenant Commander

I don't want an old fashioned Star Trek movie. It would absolutely not succeed today.
NuFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 11:30 AM   #80
Admiral

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
And you know, you just know, they'd assimilate Uhura and make her the Borg Queen.
Oh god, and just as she's about to destroy the Earth, Spock has to stab her with his Adamantium claws...
Old August 11 2013, 11:44 AM   #81
SeerSGB
Admiral

Oh god, and just as she's about to destroy the Earth, Spock has to stab her with his Adamantium claws...
Nah, the power of their love would save her. Might even get a cheesy instrumental love ballad out of the mix--so long as it's not another cover of "Faith Of The Heart".

As for "No want I!":

- No City On The Edge Of Forever remake
- Ditto "Where No Man Has Gone Before"
- Ditto "Mirror, Mirror"
- No V'ger

Wouldn't mind:

- Doomsday Machine
- Thoilan Web done up in quasi thriller movie style

Last edited by SeerSGB; August 11 2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old August 11 2013, 12:40 PM   #82
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

The Keeper wrote: View Post
Kruezerman wrote: View Post
P.S.: Just a couple months ago quite a few people wanted the Borg. Now all of a sudden nobody wants them. Moving goalposts much?
I'll cop to it, I bought into that prior Borg buzz but have since changed my mind. Same for my statement above on this thread. If I have a beatdown coming for changing my mind then so be it. My revised opinion:

I'd rather they keep with TOS themes and leave TNG themes for a possible reboot/lead-in to that era. And unless you are APTB with say in the matter one way or another then please don't say it'll never happen, you don't know that for sure.

The Doomsday Machine is better choice IMO than going straight to the Borg/Q; it's an OS concept which could be done on a scale that could leave us all breathless at the scope of it and it fits the bill for not being a traditional villain but is a "force of nature" type antagonist Orci spoke of wanting to do.

All that said, of course I'll always prefer something original to a rehash.
Of course if they did use the Doomsday Machine there are fans who would complain about it being another big black super ship.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 12:45 PM   #83
SeerSGB
Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
The Keeper wrote: View Post
Kruezerman wrote: View Post
P.S.: Just a couple months ago quite a few people wanted the Borg. Now all of a sudden nobody wants them. Moving goalposts much?
I'll cop to it, I bought into that prior Borg buzz but have since changed my mind. Same for my statement above on this thread. If I have a beatdown coming for changing my mind then so be it. My revised opinion:

I'd rather they keep with TOS themes and leave TNG themes for a possible reboot/lead-in to that era. And unless you are APTB with say in the matter one way or another then please don't say it'll never happen, you don't know that for sure.

The Doomsday Machine is better choice IMO than going straight to the Borg/Q; it's an OS concept which could be done on a scale that could leave us all breathless at the scope of it and it fits the bill for not being a traditional villain but is a "force of nature" type antagonist Orci spoke of wanting to do.

All that said, of course I'll always prefer something original to a rehash.
Of course if they did use the Doomsday Machine there are fans who would complain about it being another big black super ship.
The Doomsday Machine would work if you just avoided implying or showing any form of intelligent control. Not good or evil, just an eating machine. Don't give the villain a face. Another good take would be something similar to what Marvel did in FF4 Ultimate with Galactus.

And do we really need to see it for most of the movie? Maybe have the crew investigate a bunch of smashed worlds, then find a planet where the DM is the ultimate boogie man. Have the movie revolve around finding out the truth to the legend and finger out if it can be stopped if its real. Just have it lurking in the background. Maybe see it, maybe we don't. But it's always out there, waiting.
Old August 11 2013, 03:32 PM   #84
lurok
Commodore

All that running/shouting. Enough already.
Old August 11 2013, 05:23 PM   #85
Roald
Commander

As for what I DON'T want... a bad guy a la, well, most Trek films...

The Borg would at least present a RACE as the adversaries, rather than a singular one bent on revenge in some way...
There are many, many things I'd like for ST 3; the absence of a traditional villain being in the top 1...
Roald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 06:40 PM   #86
The Keeper
Commodore

The Doomsday Machine would work if you just avoided implying or showing any form of intelligent control. Not good or evil, just an eating machine. Don't give the villain a face.
Exactly what I was thinking.

And do we really need to see it for most of the movie? Maybe have the crew investigate a bunch of smashed worlds, then find a planet where the DM is the ultimate boogie man. Have the movie revolve around finding out the truth to the legend and finger out if it can be stopped if its real. Just have it lurking in the background. Maybe see it, maybe we don't. But it's always out there, waiting.
I'd want to see it eat at least one world, that would be the money shot! Not seeing it actually ingest a planet was one of the episode weaknesses, imo. (and how tiny it actually appears in comparison to the ships) Wide angle shot of this planet sized thing pulling up to & attaching its maw onto a planet then SLUUUURRRRP it's gone, save a smattering of moon sized crumbs.

Oh, and for added drama, put it on a course for New Vulcan!
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 08:22 PM   #87
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Eh, sounds too generic.
Old August 11 2013, 08:33 PM   #88
Admiral

These new movies take a few cues from old novels, and in Peter David's Vendetta we learned that the ancient Planet Killer was designed to fight....

(hint: They're mentioned in this thread)
Old August 11 2013, 08:53 PM   #89
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

These new movies take a few cues from old novels, and in Peter David's Vendetta we learned that the ancient Planet Killer was designed to fight....
I saw that somewhere actually. That'd be fun!
Old August 11 2013, 09:29 PM   #90
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Orci or Kurtzman's name in the credits.

My biggest wish for the next Trek is that it's about the Enterprise encountering a strange new world, with new life and a new civilisation. I think that'd be pretty y'know, bold. Rather than another bland action movie with a vengeance-seeking villain to appease the masses.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote