Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old August 11 2013, 11:28 AM   #16
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Re: Should the Winter Olympics be moved?

I think the Olympics should be abolished, the IOC is corrupt, their rules about the games not being political are ridiculous, athletes not being allowed to protest things is bullshit.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 12:16 PM   #17
MacLeod
Admiral

Why ban the games because you think the IOC is corrupt, why not ban the World Cup whilst you are at it, FIFA could be just as corrupt. Surely the aim should be if these orgainsation are corrupt to make them uncorrupt.

But in the real world no matter how hard you try there will always be those elemtns which are corrupt, be it in sport, politics, buisness etc...
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 01:25 PM   #18
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Takeru wrote: View Post
I think the Olympics should be abolished, the IOC is corrupt, their rules about the games not being political are ridiculous, athletes not being allowed to protest things is bullshit.
Honestly, the only event I look forward to is Hockey in the Winter Olympics, so that's something that could be put in its own event. That being said, I'm also not competing. Those people might care a bit more.
Old August 11 2013, 02:02 PM   #19
Danny99
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Danny99 wrote: View Post
So you move the Olympics, will that change Russia's laws? No. They are more likely to sue the IOC for lost revenue than having any kind of change in their laws.
And it would still be the right thing to move them.

If you want the luxury of hosting such a great thing as the Olympic Games, then behave.

What's with the fatalistic opinions here? "Uuuh, it won't change anything, so why bother protesting or boycotting?"
You're expecting the IOC to do the right thing, a body that has been mirred in corruption.

The world is filled with this idea that a small group can overcome anything with protesting and while that has happened in the past. The Olympics are in town for what, a month. So they lose the income, but it also isolates the Russian people, thinking "The World Doesn't Get Us" and nothing changes. There's a lot more than a month long sporting event needed to make the change you think will happen. Moving the Olympics is not going to change a damn thing.
Old August 11 2013, 06:20 PM   #20
Roger Wilco
Admiral

They should have never been awarded, and neither should have been Beijing 2008 or the FIFA World Cup 2016 or 2020 to their respective countries.
Old August 11 2013, 10:31 PM   #21
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
They should have never been awarded, and neither should have been Beijing 2008 or the FIFA World Cup 2016 or 2020 to their respective countries.
You are forgetting that these weren't awarded to great, upstanding nations; they were awarded to the highest bidder and/or whoever puts on the best show.

Sport very rarely, if ever, promotes the kind of change people are looking for here. Hell, it took two hundred years from the African slaves coming over on ships to the new world to be allowed to use the same washroom as a white person and there are still people who think they are lesser human beings. Changes like gay marriage, hell even gay acceptance take time and will not take place because a country gets a sporting event taken away from them.

Yes the IOC and FIFA are horrible human beings for awarding these events to these places, but keeping them out will only exacerbate the situations in the short term, instead of fixing them for the long term.
Old August 11 2013, 10:50 PM   #22
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Define irony: People wanting to exclude other nations they don't like from a sporting envent that's purpose is to bring all people together despite their differences.

When you stop and think about it every nation has done something inhumane over their history.

Last edited by R. Star; August 12 2013 at 04:24 PM.
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 08:09 AM   #23
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Right. But the point is about what these countries' goverments are doing now.

I'm not holding the people accountable that much since neither Russia nor PR China nor Qatar are democracies.

And anyway it is not about punishing the people or their countries, it's about not giving them the opportunity to hide their atrocities behing a pretty facade.
Old August 12 2013, 08:52 AM   #24
Brit
Captain

I think once the announcement that gays could be arrested, a lot of people who thought they would go now will not. Not as a protest but simply because their safety cannot be guaranteed. Remember you don't have to be gay to be arrested, only appear to be so, and that dictated by the mores of another culture.

I don't think it will be moved (it should but I don't think it can), but I also don't think we will see all the athletes there that should be.

Given the circumstances would any of you want to go right now?

Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 11:07 AM   #25
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Danny99 wrote: View Post
Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
You are forgetting that these weren't awarded to great, upstanding nations; they were awarded to the highest bidder and/or whoever puts on the best show.

Sport very rarely, if ever, promotes the kind of change people are looking for here. Hell, it took two hundred years from the African slaves coming over on ships to the new world to be allowed to use the same washroom as a white person and there are still people who think they are lesser human beings. Changes like gay marriage, hell even gay acceptance take time and will not take place because a country gets a sporting event taken away from them.

Yes the IOC and FIFA are horrible human beings for awarding these events to these places, but keeping them out will only exacerbate the situations in the short term, instead of fixing them for the long term.
Someone says "It should be like that" and you only say "But it is not like that". Everyone knows that it is not like that. We're debating here what should be done.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 12:57 PM   #26
Shaytan
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shaytan

I think there are other ways to expose what's wrong in those countries, especially when they are under the spotlights. For exemple, TV should stop saying all the time how "those games were great and beautiful and what a great host". They can tell the truth instead, for a change.

And I have still nothing to say against Qatar. It's ruled by Santa Claus.
Old August 12 2013, 04:31 PM   #27
The Haunting
Admiral

Too late in the day to relocate the games now, but yet another mark against Russia having got the World Cup, and you could argue it isn't too late to move that! (but then given they're already going to have to monkey around with another one...

"It should be torn down and the ground sown with salt..."
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 04:41 PM   #28
JariM
Lieutenant

Personally I'm hoping that numerous athletes will make individual decisions to not participate. And that means lesbians, gays as well as straights.
JariM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 05:13 PM   #29
Cookie Monster
Captain

I think it's too probably too late to move them now.
Old August 12 2013, 05:37 PM   #30
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

JariM wrote: View Post
Personally I'm hoping that numerous athletes will make individual decisions to not participate. And that means lesbians, gays as well as straights.
All of the athletes and fans should wear shirts promoting equality of homosexuals. They could also all make out in public so that Russia would have to imprison ALL of them. Which they wouldn't do. Which renders the law absurd.

Heck, I think the vice chancelor of Germany is gay. He should visit, and openly make out with someone.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote