Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old August 6 2013, 11:44 PM   #16
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Mars One - Unethical?

I really see no issue with this so long as everyone involved understands the risks and voluntarily agree to them and that the parent company is bound to support them regardless of the results. If people WANT to do this, and it's all consensual, go for it. As for never coming back? It's part of the deal, and part of making a colony. 400 years ago, people sailed across the ocean and never came back after all.
Old August 7 2013, 12:31 AM   #17
sojourner
Admiral

!. NASA is not a regulating body. It has no say in how commercial companies conduct business, on earth or in space.
2. Yes, NASA could get to Mars. Assuming someone is willing to pay for it.
3. Mars One will never generate enough money to get one person beyond Earth orbit, never mind to Mars.
4. Should they somehow amazingly beyond all comprehension get people to Mars, well, that's on them. The company has been pretty open to it's intentions and is far from "misleading" potential colonists.
Old August 7 2013, 12:51 AM   #18
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kathy Kringle

sojourner wrote: View Post
!. NASA is not a regulating body. It has no say in how commercial companies conduct business, on earth or in space.
2. Yes, NASA could get to Mars. Assuming someone is willing to pay for it.
3. Mars One will never generate enough money to get one person beyond Earth orbit, never mind to Mars.
4. Should they somehow amazingly beyond all comprehension get people to Mars, well, that's on them. The company has been pretty open to it's intentions and is far from "misleading" potential colonists.
I agree they have been open about their intentions.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Kathy Kringle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 02:58 AM   #19
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
Yeah...

But I am unsure what you meant by a colossal wank?
You mean since they probably won't do it anyway, debating ethics is too premature at this time?
Essentially, yes. I meant "wank" in the figurative sense of "a waste of time."

But for anyone who thinks this could actually work and wants to volunteer, I say sure, go ahead!

GET YOUR ASS TO MARS!

Old August 7 2013, 04:13 AM   #20
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I'll wait for the second wave of colonists.
Old August 7 2013, 04:29 AM   #21
Storyteller
Ensign

Look at it this way, Captain Kathryn. Bas Lansdorp spends tons of cash to get colonists to Mars. Once we're there, the man himself admitted that there's nothing stopping us from putting duct tape over the cameras. Where's the reality show now, hotshot? Same deal if the rockets keep blowing up. You're not going to have much of a reality show if you can't keep the colonists alive for longer than it takes to make the transit from Earth to Mars.

Look, the applicants know from the start that it's a one-way trip. We know about the reality show that's supposed to raise money to send us. Some of us don't like the idea of having cameras shoved in our faces, but that's the way it is. Bas Lansdorp is going to have some serious egg on his face and nobody will ever take a business venture of his seriously again if his lofty promises don't come to fruition. He knows it, too. I got a chance to ask him a question at a recent meetup and his answer implied that he's aware of the realities of the situation.

He gets cash, we get something that's a little more valuable than cash. And, anyway, many of the original American colonies were sponsored by private companies who expected to make a profit. And they had to have been seeing pounds go down the drain when we declared independence.

Last edited by Storyteller; August 7 2013 at 06:58 PM.
Storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 04:30 AM   #22
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Viva la Mars Revolution?
Old August 7 2013, 04:32 AM   #23
Storyteller
Ensign

^^Eventually. It'll take time, but eventually. And, considering the circumstances, Mars itself could be our biggest ally.
Old August 7 2013, 06:11 PM   #24
farmkid
Commodore

I don't have a problem with the profit aspect of this. After all, most technological progress in the history of mankind has been motivated by someone trying to make a buck. The government can't afford it because it has overextended itself on so many other things that are harder to cut (read cost more votes if they're cut) and there's nothing left for NASA. There's no profit in it for NASA, so why not fund it through reality TV?
Old August 10 2013, 09:03 PM   #25
publiusr
Commodore

I think we just have too many space advocates drinking Ayn Rand Cool-Aid.
NASA should be in business of building rockets--the larger the better. That allows returns.

The folks here are just more examples of people falling all over themselves to keep from building heavy lift. One way missions--they think--require less mass. But they need constant supplies, otherwise you get the nightmare described here:

http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthre...63#post2150263
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 11:45 PM   #26
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

Sounds like an updated version of this classic.

Is there a monkey in it?

Old August 11 2013, 09:16 AM   #27
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

Private entities are what is needed to get mankind into space, that said, these guys make my skin crawl. Leaving the Earth should mean leaving our -isims behind.
No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 09:20 PM   #28
publiusr
Commodore

Agreed.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 01:18 AM   #29
Storyteller
Ensign

publiusr wrote: View Post
I think we just have too many space advocates drinking Ayn Rand Cool-Aid.
NASA should be in business of building rockets--the larger the better. That allows returns.

The folks here are just more examples of people falling all over themselves to keep from building heavy lift. One way missions--they think--require less mass. But they need constant supplies, otherwise you get the nightmare described here:

http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthre...63#post2150263
Will be interesting to hear your thoughts on what will be needed to create a self-sufficient colony that won't need constant supply ships. Grow food? Produce our own air and spare parts? There's been talk of 3D printers. Because, let's face it, the idea of living and dying on Mars without a guaranteed return trip just doesn't scare some of us.
Old August 12 2013, 10:17 AM   #30
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

I don't think growing food would be a problem. Yes the sun is further away but it's still bright enough to grow food in a sufficiently modified botanical environment. If you can still harness the power of the sun, you can grow food for free, once the environment has been created. Once the startup water for this system has been installed, it can be recycled indefinitely, for both humans and plants. The beauty of water is that if it's kept inside a sealed environment, it never changes and can be filtered repeatedly. The biggest problems for humans would be physiological (managing illness and ageing) and psychological (living in a container for the duration of life; keeping motivated; living with regret and loss).