Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 10 2013, 08:52 PM   #16
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Re: Single-episode Blu-rays?!

I'm holding off until there are full series sets of everything for less than $200 a piece. I don't care if I have to wait until 2100.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 12:30 AM   #17
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

I hope they put Chains of Command out as a single disk movie. I watch that one over and over again on Netflix.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 05:45 PM   #18
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
I'm holding off until there are full series sets of everything for less than $200 a piece. I don't care if I have to wait until 2100.
You'll probably have to wait a lot longer than that.
Aatrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 10:49 PM   #19
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Aatrek wrote: View Post
Yeah, less than $200 each is a price that not even the DVD sets have reached, and they've been out for nearly a decade! As far as everything being available in HD, well... looking at just the series that require remastering, to date CBS have already put out 101 TNG episodes and they take about a week per episode to complete at this point. So there are 77 episodes left of TNG to release (they're actually done with S5, so there's really only 52 episodes left) and 176 DS9's and 172 VOY's. Now assuming they don't farm out any work like they did with TNG, it would take CBS Digital another 400 weeks or sometime around spring 2021 to finish!

The TNG-R project started in summer 2011 and will finish around summer 2014, so it will have taken them 3 years from start to finish with two other VFX companies helping out on two seasons. Basically CBS-D did about 75% of the work. So, at minimum, there's got to be at least another 7 years left to go. Not quite 2100, but
Old August 12 2013, 11:02 PM   #20
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Yeah, less than $200 each is a price that not even the DVD sets have reached, and they've been out for nearly a decade! As far as everything being available in HD, well... looking at just the series that require remastering, to date CBS have already put out 101 TNG episodes and they take about a week per episode to complete at this point. So there are 77 episodes left of TNG to release (they're actually done with S5, so there's really only 52 episodes left) and 176 DS9's and 172 VOY's. Now assuming they don't farm out any work like they did with TNG, it would take CBS Digital another 400 weeks or sometime around spring 2021 to finish!

The TNG-R project started in summer 2011 and will finish around summer 2014, so it will have taken them 3 years from start to finish with two other VFX companies helping out on two seasons. Basically CBS-D did about 75% of the work. So, at minimum, there's got to be at least another 7 years left to go. Not quite 2100, but
Do you know something we don't? Last I heard, no decision had been made yet on Deep Space Nine or Voyager.
Old August 12 2013, 11:06 PM   #21
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post

I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see CBS lavishing the same loving attention to a DS9 or VOY HD restoration. To be honest, if HD DS9/VOY doesn't happen I won't be particularly surprised.

If DS9's going to materialise, I guess we'll be hearing some kind of announcement second quarter 2014 as the TNG sets near completion.
Old August 12 2013, 11:36 PM   #22
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Do you know something we don't? Last I heard, no decision had been made yet on Deep Space Nine or Voyager.
No, sorry... I didn't mean to suggest that. I was just extrapolating. I have no special knowledge of CBS's plans right now. But come on, they're gonna have to do it eventually. They have all the 35mm assets at their disposal (and we now know the CG models and scene files are out there too in the possession of the original VFX supervisors). If CBS doesn't upgrade the two other 24th century series, they can't resell them for streaming, digital download or broadcast.

Also, CBS can just deduct whatever the cost of remastering these series is as a business expense. CBS Digital is owned by them, after all! It gives them steady work for essentially a decade!