Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 9 2013, 10:23 PM   #16
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Re: Dune - The Book and the 1984 film *spoilers for both*

I saw tapes of the Dune miniseries and was largely nonplussed. Some parts were good, a blond Jessica was a nice touch, but a lot of it I found unremarkable. Say what you will about Sting but at least he left an impression. The only thing I remember about the miniseries' Feyd was that he had a triangle behind his head. And I recall not liking the fight scenes in the miniseries very much.

My preferred adaptation of the first Dune book would be the Lynch version. ( I'll never forget how they actually gave you a cheat sheet when you went into the theater, something that would have been a collector's item if it hadn't almost immediately been ink-smeared by greasy popcorn fingerprints. ) My optimal version would be something that doesn't exist. It would include the deleted scenes that were in the extended "Alan Smithee" edition, with their special effects completed, and with all the crap of that edition ( the voiceover, the scenes reused out of their proper sequence, etc. ) taken out.

I also embraced the Dune Messiah / COD adaptation because, well, it's the only version of those books that's been filmed so far, and I liked it ( though it mangles the plot in areas such as Halleck's involvement with Jacurutu ). So I just kind of tolerate the disconnect of Paul Atreides changing from Kyle MacLachlan to Alec Newman.
Old August 9 2013, 10:27 PM   #17
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Of course the Lynch version has the most awesome kids' activities books.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 10:41 PM   #18
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Lindley wrote: View Post
No offense to Patrick Stewart, of course, but P. H. Moriarty is easily the better Gurney Halleck.
Dude, are you smoking your hair or something?
In the book, Gurney is described as "an ugly lump of a man".

Stewart doesn't really match the description or the character. P. H. Moriaty looks like some-one who'd listen at doors and play dirty ditties on the balliset in Castle Caladan.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 11:27 PM   #19
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

But he sounds like he's wandered straight out of Mary Poppins (yes yes I know he's actually from London) - He left such an impression on some friends and I that when I run into them one of us generally greets the other with

"Let me me Laud!!"

In short, he was fackin awful.
Old August 10 2013, 01:50 AM   #20
arch101
Fleet Captain

I had been a fan of the book before the Lynch film, so, I figured this is the best I'm going to get from a filmed version of Dune. I always felt the TV mini format was the only way to tell such an expansive story and I was fortunately rewarded many years later with the two minis. The Lynch film has some good things about it but, for the Dune fan, the minis are the best version (so far). Now that big-budget production has come to cable TV, it wouldn't surprise me if Dune is remade again in the next decade or two. I only hope they do all 4 original books next time.
Old August 10 2013, 02:16 AM   #21
The Wormhole
Admiral

and I'm not sure they got Stilgar right *either* time but I liked the Dune guy a bit better.
The actor from the first mini at least kind of looks like Stilgar as he's described in the books. Steven Berkoff, as great an actor as he is, doesn't. Still, Berkoff has a really cool scene in Children of Dune, even if it is really out of character for Stilgar when he goes all over the top and says "have the men summon WORMS!"
Old August 10 2013, 03:11 AM   #22
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

I saw the Children of Dune mini before reading the books. Then I read the books and watched the first mini. I still have not seen the Lynch film - it just sounds too strange. Weirding modules...

The books are great. I am not sure how anyone could film God Emperor, since two thirds of it is simply dialogue, but I would watch it.
Old August 10 2013, 05:06 AM   #23
Daddy Todd
Captain

arch101 wrote: View Post
I only hope they do all 4 original books next time.
Herbert wrote 6 Dune novels before his death:
Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapterhouse: Dune
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 08:07 AM   #24
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I thought the guy playing Gurney in the miniseries was a pretty bad actor. I also disliked that they completely changed Paul's character. He's a total whining bratt for most of the movie.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 12:04 PM   #25
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Aldo wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
Dune is one of my absolute most favourite novels, and certainly the book I've read the most. I recommend reading the sequels, although Dune Messiah is pretty underwhelming. God Emperor of Dune is hated but I thought it was terrific.
I have the second and third books, and just as soon as I finish 'World War Z' I intend to read them.

The David Lynch movie is solid dumb fun, even though it doesn't really do the story justice or explore the concept of a messiah being deconstructed. Which is y'know, probably the biggest theme of the entire novel.
I enjoyed the movie for what it was. I didn't even mention the "Lynchian" additions in the movie, but I didn't quite mind them too much. Except for the way they turned the "Weirding Way" into a laser gun. That seemed like a desperate attempt to bring in the Star Wars crowd.
God i hated that part.

The book easily explained the power of the Fremen in a simple scene when Thufir Hawat talks with Baron Harkonnen about them.
Fremen grow up in one of the harshest environment known to mankind where they have to fight for their life each day and they manage to thrive in that environment. That's it.. simple but a really powerful explanation.

That sonic gun, as cool as it may have been, doesn't compare to the book at all and with a little imagination and some good writing you could show that. Of course that may not be as flashy as the sonic gun which is the most likely reason it was included in the movie to explain why Fremen are so strong.
Old August 10 2013, 12:37 PM   #26
Takeru
Fleet Captain

I have the second and third books, and just as soon as I finish 'World War Z' I intend to read them.
After you read them you should also read God Emperor, Heretics and Chapterhouse too. God Emperor was weird when I read it for the first time, I almost gave up, don't make that mistake, it's incredible. Heretics and Chapterhouse are great too and unlike many others I don't mind the ending.

Don't bother with the prequels, sequels and interquels written by Brian Herbert and kevin J. Anderson, they're so inferior it's not even funny. The Prelude to Dune trilogy has some nice moments but it feels like an alternate universe and the story could have been told in one novel, it didn't have to be a trilogy.
The Legnds of Dune trilogy takes the legend of the Buthlerian Jihad and turns it into nothing but a set-up for Brian Herbert's sequel to Chapterhouse, a shitty ending that really doesn't feel like it's ending the story Frank Herbert started.

I didn't even touch the books taking place between Dune and Dune Messiah, I've had enough of Brian Herbert's and Anderson's horrible prose, lack of imagination and disrespect for Frank Herbert's work.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 01:08 PM   #27
Shawnster
Captain

Takeru wrote: View Post
I didn't even touch the books taking place between Dune and Dune Messiah, I've had enough of Brian Herbert's and Anderson's horrible prose, lack of imagination and disrespect for Frank Herbert's work.
I had enough of Kevin J Anderson after his second Star Wars novel that I never picked up any of his other books again. He's one of the reasons I stopped reading Star Wars and Star Trek novels altogether - the bad authors seemed to get contracts over and over again.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 01:36 PM   #28
Anachronus
Commodore

Set Harth wrote: View Post
No offense to Patrick Stewart, of course, but P. H. Moriarty is easily the better Gurney Halleck.
Dude, are you smoking your hair or something?
Much as I love Patrick Stewart, I just don't think he's right for the role.

This may be influenced by my seeing the mini first, of course.

Now, Brad Dourif as Piter was much better than the mini's version.
And for me Lynch's Bene Gesserit were much better. No one can top Sian Phillips.

-St. Augustine of Hippo
Anachronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 03:08 PM   #29
Aldo
Admiral

After you read them you should also read God Emperor, Heretics and Chapterhouse too. God Emperor was weird when I read it for the first time, I almost gave up, don't make that mistake, it's incredible. Heretics and Chapterhouse are great too and unlike many others I don't mind the ending.
I do intend to read all of Herbert's Dune books eventually, I was merely pointing out that I have the second and third ones on hand Incidentally I also have Chapterhouse: Dune. Picked those three up at a thrift shop actually.

Brian Herbert's sequel to Chapterhouse, a shitty ending that really doesn't feel like it's ending the story Frank Herbert started.
Not surprising. I had a similar experience when attempting to read Eoin Colfer's '...And Another Thing.' The supposed sixth entry in the "Hitchhiker's Trilogy." I got about halfway in before I couldn't make it any farther and put the book down.
Old August 10 2013, 03:12 PM   #30
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Shawnster wrote: View Post
I had enough of Kevin J Anderson after his second Star Wars novel that I never picked up any of his other books again. He's one of the reasons I stopped reading Star Wars and Star Trek novels altogether - the bad authors seemed to get contracts over and over again.
I can't remember the name of one I read it had endless battles in space and read like a bad Star Wars novel it most certainly wasn't any Dune I understood, never touched another.