Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old August 10 2013, 04:47 AM   #1
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Should manned space flight be abandoned if only the rich benefit?

The movie "Elysium" has gotten me thinking, if spaceflight and colonization only benefits the rich, why should the rest of the 99% support and fund space. The assumption has always been that private companies like SpaceX would make access to space affordable. Even with the most optimistic projection, the average person could only afford sub-orbital flight. Worse, current economic projections shows a decrease in the middle class as wealth disparity widens. Factor in Global Climate Change, peak oil, peak water, terrorism etc. the future doesn't look to bright.

So are you comfortable with the 1% forming a breakaway society while the rest of us die on this rock?
Old August 10 2013, 04:50 AM   #2
sojourner
Admiral

Re: Should manned space flight be abandoned if only the rich benefit?

It's a loaded question. Advances in spaceflight benefit everyone in some form or another, even if you yourself never make it to orbit.

I've never owned a $100k Mercedes, but my current car has features that weren't even dreamed of in Mercedes from the 1990's.
Old August 10 2013, 04:52 AM   #3
Ru ru, chu
Fleet Admiral

View Ru ru, chu's Twitter Profile

Our destiny is in space. That cannot be denied. We can't stay locked away on Earth forever. We MUST expand.
Old August 10 2013, 05:05 AM   #4
Yminale
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
It's a loaded question. Advances in spaceflight benefit everyone in some form or another, even if you yourself never make it to orbit.
That's only true if you live in the West. Earth's poor get very little benefit from space.

I've never owned a $100k Mercedes, but my current car has features that weren't even dreamed of in Mercedes from the 1990's.
But if cars only cost $100k or higher, would you still benefit.
Old August 10 2013, 05:07 AM   #5
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Our destiny is in space. That cannot be denied. We can't stay locked away on Earth forever. We MUST expand.
There is no such thing as destiny and in the grand scheme of things it wouldn't matter if we expand or not.
Old August 10 2013, 07:47 AM   #6
sojourner
Admiral

yeah, if your "grand scheme" includes the heat death of the universe. But hey, if it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, why do anything at all? Eating? doesn't matter. Breathing? pointless.

Yminale wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
That's only true if you live in the West. Earth's poor get very little benefit from space.
"very little" is relative in the grand scheme of things. How many lives of the earth's poor have been saved by weather satellites? How many crops have been saved that fed those poor? It's a loaded question. You can't divorce advances in space from benefits here on earth and there is no way to limit those benefits to only applying to the rich.
Old August 10 2013, 07:55 AM   #7
PurpleBuddha
Rear Admiral

I am not sure I can think a reasonable hypothetical where advancing space flight would only benefit the rich, without adding some unrealistic conditions. Maybe you can provide an example.
PurpleBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 09:47 AM   #8
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

should we expand into space? are we ready yet? should humanity be allowed to continue existing?
No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 10:02 AM   #9
Metryq
Captain

A movie with Matt Damon got you thinking? Try thinking outside the box for once. Dump all the political labels you've been indoctrinated with. The world is made up of "creators" and "destroyers."

From the ELYSIUM trailer, the "hero" appears to be a destroyer, not a liberator. "Equality" is a great idea. Unfortunately, it is often Newspeak for "revenge."

Get away from the movie screen and try some written sci-fi, such as Vonnegut's "Harrison Bergeron" or Asimov's Profession.
Old August 10 2013, 11:29 AM   #10
MacLeod
Admiral

Technology can take a while to filter down. If we look at car technology for example, many cars today have traction control as standard go back a few years and only high-end cars had it go back a few more years and only cars like F1 cars had it.

So yes today space travel is expensive, but who knows what it will be like in 20 years, 50 years 100 years.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 11:37 AM   #11
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Metryq wrote: View Post
Dump all the political labels you've been indoctrinated with. The world is made up of "creators" and "destroyers."

From the ELYSIUM trailer, the "hero" appears to be a destroyer, not a liberator. "Equality" is a great idea. Unfortunately, it is often Newspeak for "revenge."
So you are a supporter of "alternative science" and a Randian. Great.
Old August 10 2013, 01:45 PM   #12
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile

How do you define "the rich?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 01:50 PM   #13
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Yminale wrote: View Post
The movie "Elysium" has gotten me thinking, if spaceflight and colonization only benefits the rich, why should the rest of the 99% support and fund space. The assumption has always been that private companies like SpaceX would make access to space affordable. Even with the most optimistic projection, the average person could only afford sub-orbital flight. Worse, current economic projections shows a decrease in the middle class as wealth disparity widens. Factor in Global Climate Change, peak oil, peak water, terrorism etc. the future doesn't look to bright.

So are you comfortable with the 1% forming a breakaway society while the rest of us die on this rock?
First, you will not die on this rock while others fly away to some sort of utopia.

Eventually, you will die, but everyone dies.

Second, should the rich actually have anything while we others don't have anything?

Climate change. Yeah, it's getting warmer, and a couple of white sand postcard island vanish. Big deal.
Peak oil. So we have to get away from it spending money on technology we already have but not willing to invest in because we are too lazy right now. Big deal.
Peak water. Yeah, that's indeed a thing. The rich will have it, the poor won't have it.
But not to burst your bubble: you are part of the rich. You posting on the internet on a Star Trek BBS makes you part of the rich that won't have any water problems by default.

Terrorism. Terrorism is caused by the rich exploiting the poor, or the powerful exploiting the weak.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 03:40 PM   #14
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

View Chrono85's Twitter Profile

It will benefit everyone in the long run, but it takes a while for technologies to become cheap and affordable to the average consumer, and that won't happen unless people are actually using it.
Chrono85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 03:42 PM   #15
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

View Chrono85's Twitter Profile

Terrorism. Terrorism is caused by the rich exploiting the poor, or the powerful exploiting the weak.
Or crazy religious zealots.
Chrono85 is offline   Reply With Quote