Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 10 2013, 03:01 AM   #76
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Re: Alternate history tv shows

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
As an aside, I think there are just too many stupid people nowadays who wouldn't be able to recognize an alternate history series as alternate history. Sort of like my then 40-year-old nephew who thought Oliver Stone's JFK was truth.
Odd in my world director Jack Kennedy made a film about President Oliver Stone.
His sacking of Hanoi is studied by all military cadets
Old August 10 2013, 03:47 AM   #77
Mutara Nebula 1967
Captain

This was never an actual TV series but it was one I created a few years ago when I was in a fantasy network programming game where we had to create a series and write episodes and ratings were determined by voters. I posted a few synopsis here for voters and was encouraged to on the board to make a real pitch to a network or at least turn it into a graphic novel.
I did wind up writing the graphic novel and if I ever get motivated again I will resume pitching it to a graphic novel publisher.

In short DIVERGENT POINT dealt with the idea of what if the history we live is actually THE ALTERNATE HISTORY...that a time travel experiment gone horribly wrong resulted in the crazy messy world we live in where the US actually used Atomic Bombs in WW2-MLK gets gunned down in '68 instead of becoming president in 1976...that sort of thing. And how can it be made right again.

I still have a few copies up on Wordpress if anyone who digs alternate history wants to read more about it, see some of the pages or even pick one up it can be found below.
http://divergentpointgraphicnovel.wordpress.com/

"Looks like the good folks of Island Town are roundin' up a possy and I bet Jack leads the charge in a big white hat."
Mutara Nebula 1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 03:51 AM   #78
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Kennedy used to do a great impression of Vaughn Meader, but stopped out of respect after Meader's death.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 04:14 AM   #79
Valley Forge
Lieutenant Commander

That movie with what's-his-name...the one where they totally parodied Galaxy Quest was hysterical. Can you imagine some show called "Star Trek" in real life?

In other news, we really need a salary cap in baseball. The Cubbies are just too much of a power house. I'm tired of them winning the series every year.

Vf
Valley Forge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 04:25 AM   #80
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I loved the new Trek film. Matt Damon as Kirk. Ben Affleck as Spock. Gary Sinise as McCoy. perfect casting. Grinned at the nod to The Counter Clock Incident that places the film right after the last episode of TAS.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 05:11 AM   #81
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

The New Trek film was awesome, but I'm starting to worry they're oversaturating the market. Right after Enterprise ended in 2008, they immediately launched the 25th century series where they make contact with other galaxies and have to deal with races that aren't humanoid and are completely unlike them. Star Trek: Titan was still on the air! So Star Trek: Titan ends, they immediately announce that new series where Worf was captain AND announce a new throwback film. At this rate people are going to get tired of Trek. If they immediately launched a fourth Star Trek series after TNG ended people would have gotten tired of it ages ago.

And I would have honestly rather seen another DS9 film to conclude the 'Sisko Reborn' arc.

I hear the Borg are going to factor into the new series. We haven't heard from them since TNG, I can't WAIT to see more of them.
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 05:37 AM   #82
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Valley Forge wrote: View Post
That movie with what's-his-name...the one where they totally parodied Galaxy Quest was hysterical. Can you imagine some show called "Star Trek" in real life?
There was that little-known Desilu show Star Trek, about a group of Hollywood entertainers on a USO tour during World War II. It only lasted one season and hasn't had a home video release because of multiple issues with music clearances.
Old August 10 2013, 05:42 AM   #83
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
Valley Forge wrote: View Post
There was that little-known Desilu show Star Trek, about a group of Hollywood entertainers on a USO tour during World War II. It only lasted one season and hasn't had a home video release because of multiple issues with music clearances.
It did launch Nichelle Nichols singing career. She could paper a wall with all those gold records.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old August 10 2013, 12:08 PM   #84
jespah
Commodore

View jespah's Twitter Profile

Remember that cult favorite French show, Le étoile voyage? It ran for six seasons, with Maurice Chevalier as Le capitan Bayonette and Juliette Binoche as La première choisse. Some guy named Leonard Nimoy was brought in after a while to provide comic relief with his drag impressions and numerous drug references.
jespah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 01:31 PM   #85
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

I have to say the biggest mind blowing season finale was at the end of Firefly's 9th season. After years of fighting against the Alliance, Mal Reynolds is killed by Alliance deep cover agent River Tam.

Then the body glows, and Nathan Fillion changes into Charlie Sheen and is alive again. He just stood up and said "Call me the Captain.'

They called it a 'regeneration' in the season 10 premier. My friends as I were talking about that all summer long.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 03:23 PM   #86
lennier1
Commodore

Zipang, basic idea from The Final Countdown, but with a modern Japanese destroyer that's thrown back in time into WW2.

Sadly, the anime covers only a fraction of the manga storyline.

Alternate history is actually not such a rare setting in Japanese entertainment, like Code Geass, the Kerberos Saga (not a show but actually a whole franchise of movies, books, audio dramas and other installments), Full Metal Panic (another franchise across different media),

As for US content, not sure if Otherworld, Alien Nation and Amerika were already mentioned.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 07:04 PM   #87
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
I have to say the biggest mind blowing season finale was at the end of Firefly's 9th season. After years of fighting against the Alliance, Mal Reynolds is killed by Alliance deep cover agent River Tam.

Then the body glows, and Nathan Fillion changes into Charlie Sheen and is alive again. He just stood up and said "Call me the Captain.'

They called it a 'regeneration' in the season 10 premier. My friends as I were talking about that all summer long.
I only hope they manage to close the series out as satisfyingly as they did Battlestar Galactica. I was worried they'd pull some lame 'God did everything' thing, but they really managed to tie up everything perfectly. It was almost as good as Lost's ending. Hopefully Firefly's series finale will live up to the same standards.
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 07:09 PM   #88
lennier1
Commodore

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
It was almost as good as Lost's ending.
I still feel it cheapened the whole thing when we found out that it's the same place as in Fantasy Island, just decades after its abandonment.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 07:30 PM   #89
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Gotta say when Lee and Kirby went over to DC they really changed comics. They took the Challengers of the Unknown and revamped them into super heroes, but a different style of hero that DC had at the time. Prof became Mr. Elastic, Rocky became The Thing, Red became the Human Torch, and June became the Invisible Girl. Having Ace seemingly die in the accident that gave them their powers, only to return as their greatest foe was a brilliant move.
Old August 10 2013, 11:51 PM   #90
Mistral
Vice Admiral

I've been thinking about what Nerys said about MASH. I'm actually not surprised it didn't last as long as the real WWII. Expecting any tv series to last 9 years without becoming stale is really asking a lot. I mean, look at The Rifleman. It lasted so long that Miss Kitty went from a hot love interest into an old maid aunt. Along the way, they must have told the same stories a dozen times over. If it weren't for all of the Luddites in California the show would have been yanked after 5 years, tops, instead of lasting 22.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote