Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old August 9 2013, 11:35 PM   #1
Newspaper Taxi
Captain

Am I the only one that felt uncomfortable about the old Hurt Serials?

I don't really see a lot of people talk about the Hurt serials that ran from '01 to '05. I really felt that the show took on a much darker tone during this period and I'm really shocked at some of the things that the guy we're supposed to call "The Doctor" did. I mean -- the Time War? It made for one hell of a season finale and my favorite regeneration scene ever, but wow. I had a hard time looking at him the same way afterwards.

I'm looking forward to seeing Hurt return in the 50th Anniversary special and I'm glad to see that Smith's Doctor doesn't even consider him to officially be a 'true' Doctor.
Old August 10 2013, 12:14 AM   #2
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Re: Am I the only one that felt uncomfortable about the old Hurt Seria

Hurt serials?
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 12:29 AM   #3
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

John Hurt was the Doctor for half the first decade of this century.

I mean because of the controversy surrounding the, well you know, we don't talk about his tenure much, but the Beeb seems to have got it's house in order since they're finally talking to John again, so we might as well knuckle in and shine the light of day on that cluster####.

When the Master decapitated the wrong penguin.

The special effects were basically claymation, but still that was yucky.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 12:39 AM   #4
MissionFever
Ensign

The Hurt serials were definitely an odd period.

I sort of like the idea that he somehow wasn't really The Doctor. I mean, I know that we saw the regeneration and all but it doesn't feel right.

Also, (and I went back and checked) he never did refer to himself as The Doctor. Sure he's called that, but everyone seems to pick it up from someone else.

It's an odd period.
MissionFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 01:13 AM   #5
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

I did like seeing Ace that one time again tho.
Old August 10 2013, 01:28 AM   #6
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

And the way he betrayed Romana... talk about raising the bar in shocking but well-acted decisions.
"Lie to me."
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 01:40 AM   #7
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Mary Tamm at her finest, I loved how they played with her history line like that.

Old August 10 2013, 01:56 AM   #8
arch101
Fleet Captain

The real tragedy here is that the ep where Adric died again was only aired once and can't be found anywhere, even on YouTube. :-(
Old August 10 2013, 02:34 AM   #9
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

^^^I believe Peter Davison had a hand in squashing the re-airing of Adric's ep. But I notice that no one is talking about the return of "Amazing Grace." What a shock to learn her true nature after the 96 movie led us to believe... well, I still can't get my head around that scene between her and Eric Roberts... let's leave it at that, shall we.

Sir Rhosis

Read "Origins" at http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/articles/origins.htm
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 02:39 AM   #10
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

Sir Rhosis wrote: View Post
^^^I believe Peter Davison had a hand in squashing the re-airing of Adric's ep. But I notice that no one is talking about the return of "Amazing Grace." What a shock to learn her true nature after the 96 movie led us to believe... well, I still can't get my head around that scene between her and Eric Roberts... let's leave it at that, shall we.

Sir Rhosis
Oh that was such a fanwank season, the whole thing :P
Old August 10 2013, 03:30 AM   #11
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

A whole episode where Grace is trying to get away from answering the question of who is the better kisser.

Way too Ally McBeal.

Old August 10 2013, 04:23 AM   #12
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Newspaper Taxi wrote: View Post
I don't really see a lot of people talk about the Hurt serials that ran from '01 to '05. I really felt that the show took on a much darker tone during this period and I'm really shocked at some of the things that the guy we're supposed to call "The Doctor" did. I mean -- the Time War? It made for one hell of a season finale and my favorite regeneration scene ever, but wow. I had a hard time looking at him the same way afterwards.
You need to look at Hurt's four years in the context of the times. When he was cast, mid 2001, things were looking pretty good. Yeah, the economy had taken a tumble after Bush's election, but it had mellowed out. It looked like things were going to be pretty steady. And the first half of Hurt's first season reflected that.

Unfortunately, Hurt made his debut as the Doctor on September 13th. And the world had changed two days before.

It wasn't until "The Sontaran Gambit"/"Sentinel of the Daleks" two-parter in February 2002 that we really began to see how dark Doctor Who could go. Ironically, it wasn't even Hurt's Doctor that was dark. It was what the Thals were doing in that two-parter that was so jaw-droppingly insane, and I think the Doctor was as appalled as the audience was. Clearly, it was a story written in reaction to the Afghanistan mission, but it really opened the door for where Hurt's era would go with the Daleks taking the Sontaran clone banks for themselves and the revelation about the Dalek time machines.

I view Hurt's era as a reaction to the Bush/Blair failure in Iraq, and I see Hurt's Doctor as a tragic hero. You can see in Hurt's Doctor the arc from true believer in the righteous cause to disillusioned warrior who has lost faith in his leaders. You can see it most clearly in "The Tears of the Ten Thousand" when the Doctor confronts Romana and demands to know how many more worlds must burn because of a mistake, and Romana's chilling response -- "The mistake would be in not burning more" -- is the point where the Doctor loses all faith in his cause.

Hurt's era is uncomfortable viewing, because they were trying so hard to make something relevant to the era. In that regard, I think they were trying to ape Star Trek and BSG a little too hard. But Hurt's era is also, in retrospect, difficult to watch simply because it hasn't aged well. The era that followed with Eccleston and Tennant also hasn't aged particularly well -- Eccleston's season in particular is grounded firmly in the 2005 present, and its references have dated badly -- but Hurt's era looks cheap and its political undercurrents are no longer meaningful.

Hurt himself is great. His work, however, is very much of its time. It lacks timelessnes. Say what you will about Steven Moffat as writer, but as a producer he's made his tenure timeless.

Newspaper Taxi wrote: View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing Hurt return in the 50th Anniversary special and I'm glad to see that Smith's Doctor doesn't even consider him to officially be a 'true' Doctor.
I'm glad to see John Hurt back, too. Hurt was my Doctor.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 04:56 AM   #13
TJ Sinclair
Captain

What about the lost Grant Morrison script from that era? Wouldn't it be so weird if Moffat dug that out and they actually filmed the thing?

We can kind of get an idea of what it would be like from Morrison's Batman RIP stories, what with him using certain elements of the plot and naming the bad guy Doctor Hurt and all...
Old August 10 2013, 12:54 PM   #14
MrPointy
Commander

I remember liking the Hurt era because of how grimdark it was. But I was only 18 when it started so I didn't really know better. It definitely was aping BSG, especially in the last two seasons.

I don't think The Doctor really needed to flush that Sontaran out the airlock in "Ghosts of Pyrrha".

I will say, the episode with Peri as the Queen of Rathagon VI is in my top 10 Who episodes of all time. And not because of the nip-slip.
“You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter. Too much is the same as not enough. Without imitating anyone else, you should have as much weaponry as suits you.” -- Lieutenant Commander Data
MrPointy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 01:54 PM   #15
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

Poor Hurt, what Eccleston did in the last 5 minutes of "Moment of the Time Lords" is still the most shocking thing I've ever seen on television. Undoing all of Hurt's brilliant legacy was just painful to watch.