RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,131
Posts: 5,401,559
Members: 24,746
Currently online: 579
Newest member: retrodynamic

TrekToday headlines

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 8 2013, 10:34 PM   #46
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Bulawayo Military Krral
Re: What you DON'T want to see in Star Trek 3

bullethead wrote: View Post
-Poorly done analogies/allegories to contemporary events in order to be "cerebral," "significant," or "relevant." No one want to see incoherent, sledgehammer-to-face messages about stuff. Tell us a story and do it well - the theme will come organically from the mix of elements involved.
The rub is, if a story was done based on a novel like The Galactic Whirlpool, or like the first motion picture, people like you would be hating it to bits and saying that it's boring. Let's face facts and say that you just don't like the current group of creators of Star Trek, and no matter what they do, you'll not be pleased.

Because it was wise the first time and because it needs to be said, again due to people being forgetful:

J. Allen wrote: View Post

ST:TMP) Somewhat cerebral. Mostly a 2001 knockoff. Illia in a ridiculously short skirt.
TWOK) Revenge. Explosions. Getting old. KHAAAAAAAN! A FUCK TON of Pew!Pew!
TSFS) GE-NE-SIS?! Kirk's son killed. Get out! Get out of there! Lots of Pew!Pew!
TVH) They are not the hell your whales. One damn minute, Admiral.
TFF) Three boobed cat stripper. Sha-ka-ree. Lots of Pew!Pew!
TUC) Racism. Cold War. Shakespeare. Lots of Pew!Pew!
GEN) Fantasy land. Duras Sisters. Enterprise go Boom. Lots of Pew!Pew!
FC) BOOM! Sweaty Borg. Sexual healing. Drunks. A METRIC FUCK TON of Pew!Pew!
INS) Face lift. Forced relocation. F. Murray Abraham on a couch. Lots of poorly paced Pew!Pew!
NEM) Dune buggy. Mentally deficient android. Slowly moving doom device. Lots of random Pew!Pew!
Where does all of this bullshit about Star Trek being completely cerebral come from? And when are people going to stop repeating this bullshit?

Last edited by M'Sharak; August 8 2013 at 10:48 PM. Reason: to fix broken quote tag
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 06:04 AM   #47
I am not Spock
Commodore
 
Location: Australia
Re: What you DON'T want to see in Star Trek 3

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post

Am sure all you males fans all have girl friends
Um, nope
__________________
It's a FAAAAKKKEEE!
Senator Vreenak- In the Pale Moonlight
I am not Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 07:28 AM   #48
serenitytrek1
Commander
 
Re: What you DON'T want to see in Star Trek 3

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post

Am sure all you males fans all have girl friends
Um, nope


I seriously doubt that, please don't confirm society's worst stereotypes of how trek fans are geeks and nerds who cant get a girl.


when we all know that is completely not true.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 08:28 AM   #49
I am not Spock
Commodore
 
Location: Australia
Re: What you DON'T want to see in Star Trek 3

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
I am not Spock wrote: View Post
serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post

Am sure all you males fans all have girl friends
Um, nope


I seriously doubt that, please don't confirm society's worst stereotypes of how trek fans are geeks and nerds who cant get a girl.


when we all know that is completely not true.
I can't speak for all fans, but it's definitely true of me
__________________
It's a FAAAAKKKEEE!
Senator Vreenak- In the Pale Moonlight
I am not Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 09:02 AM   #50
anotherdemon
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
anotherdemon's Avatar
 
Re: What you DON'T want to see in Star Trek 3

Whilst they're cool and all, please stop with the super-ships and super-entities.

A good old fashioned exploration adventure mixed up with a conventional war would be what I'd like (with both stories coming together through some intelligent plot device).
anotherdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 11:37 AM   #51
Smellmet
Commander
 
Smellmet's Avatar
 
Location: Goole
Re: What you DON'T want to see in Star Trek 3

anotherdemon wrote: View Post
Whilst they're cool and all, please stop with the super-ships and super-entities.

A good old fashioned exploration adventure mixed up with a conventional war would be what I'd like (with both stories coming together through some intelligent plot device).
That would be perfect - and would satisfy a lot of the different Trek 'factions' methinks
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 01:08 PM   #52
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: What you DON'T want to see in Star Trek 3

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
I am not Spock wrote: View Post
serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post

Am sure all you males fans all have girl friends
Um, nope


I seriously doubt that, please don't confirm society's worst stereotypes of how trek fans are geeks and nerds who cant get a girl.


when we all know that is completely not true.
I imagine some fans are gay and some don't actively go looking for companionship.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 02:11 PM   #53
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander
 
Cinema Geekly's Avatar
 
View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile
Re: What you DON'T want to see in Star Trek 3

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post

ST:TMP) Somewhat cerebral. Mostly a 2001 knockoff. Illia in a ridiculously short skirt.
TWOK) Revenge. Explosions. Getting old. KHAAAAAAAN! A FUCK TON of Pew!Pew!
TSFS) GE-NE-SIS?! Kirk's son killed. Get out! Get out of there! Lots of Pew!Pew!
TVH) They are not the hell your whales. One damn minute, Admiral.
TFF) Three boobed cat stripper. Sha-ka-ree. Lots of Pew!Pew!
TUC) Racism. Cold War. Shakespeare. Lots of Pew!Pew!
GEN) Fantasy land. Duras Sisters. Enterprise go Boom. Lots of Pew!Pew!
FC) BOOM! Sweaty Borg. Sexual healing. Drunks. A METRIC FUCK TON of Pew!Pew!
INS) Face lift. Forced relocation. F. Murray Abraham on a couch. Lots of poorly paced Pew!Pew!
NEM) Dune buggy. Mentally deficient android. Slowly moving doom device. Lots of random Pew!Pew!
Where does all of this bullshit about Star Trek being completely cerebral come from? And when are people going to stop repeating this bullshit?
Mostly fans with rose colored glasses who remember the show from their childhood very fondly.

I mean Trek has had some amazing episodes and films, very thoughtful, well written, and well performed. But I never saw an episode that actually taught me anything or changed my mind about a subject. I never saw an episode that really made me think.

Even when I was a kid and my friends and I would play Star Trek we wouldn't spend time sitting around a picnic table discussing a moral dilemma we'd have super cool phaser fights or launch some torpedoes back and forth.

Personally I dig the spite of J. Allen's post because people won't stop trying to hit us over the head saying Trek was this super mind enhancing experience that has been ruined by modern CGI and a faster pace.
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 02:17 PM   #54
bullethead
Fleet Captain
 
bullethead's Avatar
 
Re: What you DON'T want to see in Star Trek 3

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
bullethead wrote: View Post
-Poorly done analogies/allegories to contemporary events in order to be "cerebral," "significant," or "relevant." No one want to see incoherent, sledgehammer-to-face messages about stuff. Tell us a story and do it well - the theme will come organically from the mix of elements involved.
The rub is, if a story was done based on a novel like The Galactic Whirlpool, or like the first motion picture, people like you would be hating it to bits and saying that it's boring. Let's face facts and say that you just don't like the current group of creators of Star Trek, and no matter what they do, you'll not be pleased.
I can't comment on the Galactic Whirlpool, since I haven't read it, but TMP is in no way cerebral beyond the concepts involved. It's a movie with a barebones script and padded out by long VFX shots. Of course it's boring. But it's disingenuous to say that I don't like the current group of Trek creators - I really liked the first movie, in spite of some utterly stupid decisions they made. I just really hate Lindelof, because every single thing he touches turns to shit because he likes sticking things in for the cool factor and not for any real story purpose.

Anyway, you can do smart scifi with a handful of fight scenes between characters or spaceships (and no, that doesn't equal "A FUCK TON of Pew!Pew!" - you want that, watch a Star Wars prequel). It's just a matter of coming up with the right story and making everything cohere properly.
__________________
A business man and engineer discuss how to launch a communications satellite in the 1960s:
Biz Dev Guy: Your communications satellite has to be the size, shape, and weight of a hydrogen bomb.
bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 03:21 PM   #55
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain
 
Kruezerman's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Re: What you DON'T want to see in Star Trek 3

Star Trek is adventure. And politics. And comedy, and romance, and war, and action, etc, etc. It cannot be static an it cannot conform to any one of our preconceived notions as to what it should be. Star Trek is a show about all the above set in the 23rd century on a ship named Enterprise.

I consider Into Darkness a well written film that is certainly the best Trek film put out so far. Did it have problems? Of course, EVERY movie has problems but it didn't matter. It was special to me because it was Star Trek. The fact that we have people who are taking such good care of it shows that we are indeed blessed and are in for a treat come 2016.

What don't I want to see? I don't know. I don't want to see it return to the bland era of the late nineties again. I want it to be as bright and fast and fun as it has been.

Those four men, Abrams, Lindelof, Orci, and Kurtzman have given us our Trek back in spades. Both movies were love letters to us and gave the general audience a true taste of what we have been enjoying.

Trek is back baby.
__________________
*Tim Duncan fills glass with milk*
"Hm, you know what..."
*adds squirt of chocolate syrup*
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 03:31 PM   #56
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: What you DON'T want to see in Star Trek 3

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
What don't I want to see? I don't know. I don't want to see it return to the bland era of the late nineties again. I want it to be as bright and fast and fun as it has been.
+1
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 03:42 PM   #57
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain
 
Kruezerman's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Re: What you DON'T want to see in Star Trek 3

P.S.: Just a couple months ago quite a few people wanted the Borg. Now all of a sudden nobody wants them. Moving goalposts much?
__________________
*Tim Duncan fills glass with milk*
"Hm, you know what..."
*adds squirt of chocolate syrup*
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 03:52 PM   #58
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: What you DON'T want to see in Star Trek 3

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
P.S.: Just a couple months ago quite a few people wanted the Borg. Now all of a sudden nobody wants them. Moving goalposts much?
I still am in the Kirk vs. the Borg camp! Short of that, I'd like a time-travel flick set during the Eugenics Wars with Kirk taking on Khan on his home-field.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 04:29 PM   #59
Ovation
Vice Admiral
 
Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: What you DON'T want to see in Star Trek 3

Don't want: soap-opera explorations of "relationships". Spock and Uhura are a couple? Fine. But don't make it the central theme of the film. Same goes for Kirk/Marcus, if they go the couple route.

Don't want: lengthy exposition by characters to explain things that should be left for the viewers to work out on their own (for example, if it appears a great distance has been travelled in a short time span, the default assumption should be that nothing important happened in the interim and not "we didn't see every parsec of space that was traversed between the two scenes--why don't they respect speed limits"). I do NOT want some character to then launch into a speech about all the neat things they did in the interim, to explain away the passage of time.

Don't want: any hint, however remote, that this new timeline will be "fixed" in order to merge back to the TOS timeline. Just…no.

Don't want: serious reduction in screen time for Kirk or Spock in order to have a more "ensemble" feel to the film. Kirk and Spock are essential. The other "five" are important but not at the expense of Kirk and Spock.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 05:57 PM   #60
Smellmet
Commander
 
Smellmet's Avatar
 
Location: Goole
Re: What you DON'T want to see in Star Trek 3

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
Star Trek is adventure. And politics. And comedy, and romance, and war, and action, etc, etc. It cannot be static an it cannot conform to any one of our preconceived notions as to what it should be. Star Trek is a show about all the above set in the 23rd century on a ship named Enterprise.

I consider Into Darkness a well written film that is certainly the best Trek film put out so far. Did it have problems? Of course, EVERY movie has problems but it didn't matter. It was special to me because it was Star Trek. The fact that we have people who are taking such good care of it shows that we are indeed blessed and are in for a treat come 2016.

What don't I want to see? I don't know. I don't want to see it return to the bland era of the late nineties again. I want it to be as bright and fast and fun as it has been.

Those four men, Abrams, Lindelof, Orci, and Kurtzman have given us our Trek back in spades. Both movies were love letters to us and gave the general audience a true taste of what we have been enjoying.

Trek is back baby.
100% agree with this.

Ovation wrote: View Post
Don't want: any hint, however remote, that this new timeline will be "fixed" in order to merge back to the TOS timeline. Just…no.
And this.

This sums up my hopes for the franchise...
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.