Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Rate The Wolverine
Excellent 17 20.99%
Above Average 37 45.68%
Average 25 30.86%
Below Average 2 2.47%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 6 2013, 08:00 PM   #151
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: THE WOLVERINE - Reviews and Discussion Thread

^ Yes, I always assumed before that movie that the amnesia was trauma-induced, kind of like in The Bourne Identity.
Old August 6 2013, 08:03 PM   #152
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

T'Baio wrote: View Post
I would love to see Claremont/Miller's Wolverine mini-series from 1982 on the big screen.
Or persuade Ellen Page to join in and show Kitty's transformation into Shadowcat.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 10:08 PM   #153
Leonardo T. Dragon
Commander

View Leonardo T. Dragon's Twitter Profile

Dream wrote: View Post
X-Men: The Adamantium Collection Blu-ray (6 movie set, includes open slot for DOFP)

Ironic considering the ridiculous way the claws were treated at the end of the film.

Honestly-- why can't we have a finale where he's no longer held back by implants, etc?
Old August 7 2013, 01:20 AM   #154
JD
Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
I would like them do the "Old Man Logan" storyline as a movie one day.
trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
That story is amazing, especially one particular scene which is a complete gutpunch.
I'd heard of the story before, but never a detailed synopsis. I read the first couple paragraphs there, and that sounds insane. Not sure if if I would enjoy based solely of the Wikipedia page, but it definitely sounds crazy.
Old August 7 2013, 01:38 AM   #155
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

It sounds interesting to me, though I'm not a reader of Marvel. It does sound really, really insane, though. I may look for a trade on it.
Old August 7 2013, 02:15 AM   #156
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

Id like to see the X 23 storyline.
Old August 9 2013, 01:21 AM   #157
JD
Admiral

I saw this this morning and I really enjoyed it. It had a great cast, and a really nice mix of quieter story and character moments, and big action set pieces. I agree with the other posts who thought Tao Okamoto (Mariko) and Rila Fukushima (Yukio) were great. I really hope we get more of one or both of them in a future Wolverine movie. Especially Yukio, the ending was a perfect set up for some more adventures for The Wolverine and his "bodyguard". I voted exellent.

Last edited by JD; August 9 2013 at 01:37 AM.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 09:12 AM   #158
inflatabledalek
Captain

I thought it was OK, definitely too long. Well actually, I think we worked out that, once you discounted the endless trailers and adverts that seem only designed to make you want to go pirate films, it can't have been much more than two hours, it just felt a lot longer. For starters I think they could have established Logan was grieving the death of a loved one and had to get over it without her popping up every half hour to prattle at him, Jean being in there was just pure fan service rather than anything to do with the film. Though I suppose it's interesting he didn't think Scott would be in "Heaven" with her...

It also suffered from the single most obvious surprise villain ever....

"How odd, I see everyone's death but I didn't know Wolverine's old friend was going to die. What can that mean?"

The romance felt pretty unconvincing as well (and it annoyed my mother as she thought Jackman was too old for her. For me, as the character is a good century older than any women he's likely to meet that didn't bother me so much).

You really had to suspend your disbelief at how stupid the villains plan was as well:

It seems they need Wolverine alive for the process, but do something to him that increases the chances he'll get killed. Even though the final fight with the arrows shows they've got a tranquilliser that works on a full strength Logan. If they'd had just knocked him out with that on his first night in the house and took him to the lab and done it to him right there and then they'd have won. I'm also not sure why Crazy Old Man (who it seems can stare into a nuclear explosion and not be instantly blinded, I'm not sure he needs super healing...) felt the need to armour up when he has a whole team of ninjas to do his fighting for him. I mean sure, it turned out he needed it in the end but that was because everything had gone tits up.

A film that took itself less seriously could have probably gotten away with some of the more silly aspects...

But, on the other hand, all the stunts and fights were well done, there's a nice Bond joke, the performances were solid (props to the lady playing Viper for doing a lot with an anaemically written part) and it's probably the most lush looking of all the X-Films. It's amazing how much more expensive something can look just by setting it in a country the series doesn't normally visit.

But that that just balances out at just an OK film. Though extra points for trying something a bit different even if it didn't quite pull it off.

Oh, and though it didn't hit me as a more casual fan until it was pointed out, isn't Logan supposed to be an amnesiac with no idea of his past? So he shouldn't have a clue what he was up to in World War II?
Old August 9 2013, 10:47 AM   #159
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Jean being in there was just pure fan service...
I was okay with this.

inflatabledalek wrote: View Post
Oh, and though it didn't hit me as a more casual fan until it was pointed out, isn't Logan supposed to be an amnesiac with no idea of his past? So he shouldn't have a clue what he was up to in World War II?
This occurred to me too, that Logan shouldn't have any memories of this, unless he's regained them at some point when we weren't looking.
Old August 9 2013, 11:02 AM   #160
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Didn't Captain Picard help him remember his past?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 11:44 AM   #161
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
He couldn't get everything, just bits. The most he could do was lead Logan to Alkali lake leading to the events of X2 where Logan didn't seem to have much more than a faint recollection of Stryker or the room where the adamantium was pumped into his flesh and somehow formed a skeletal structure and sharp knife-like claws.
Old August 9 2013, 12:00 PM   #162
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I don't have a problem with the idea that fragments of Logan's life could gradually come back to him over the years. I would have thought that episodes closer to his shooting with the bullet would be harder to recover - older and more ingrained ones might be harder to erase.
Old August 9 2013, 01:49 PM   #163
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
He couldn't get everything, just bits. The most he could do was lead Logan to Alkali lake leading to the events of X2 where Logan didn't seem to have much more than a faint recollection of Stryker or the room where the adamantium was pumped into his flesh and somehow formed a skeletal structure and sharp knife-like claws.
That's what he helped dredge up the first time. Who knows how much further he dug between X2 and X3?
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 02:05 PM   #164
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Yeah. I mean, we're dealing with the idea of amnesia being caused by a bullet made of a fictional metal being shot at a skull encased by fictional metal. Not a lot of point getting too hung up about the realism of memories resurfacing.
Old August 9 2013, 07:14 PM   #165
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Obiwanshinobi wrote: View Post
. I am also confused on how Mariko's father survived after being poisoned by Viper. I also think they could have used a better villain, than Viper. Speaking of Viper, were those ninjas apart of The Hand? Or just standard ninjas serving Yashida.
I can't remember, however in general there are millions of mutants of varying power levels running around in the X-Man universe. I assumed the Yakuza on the train who were able to hang with The Wolverine in battle must have been mutants too. I will fanwank that he was a mutant. He didn't know it because most of us live our lives without accidentally poisoning ourselves thus his mutant factor protected him from Viper.