Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old August 7 2013, 10:10 PM   #61
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Re: Now that we know the new Doctor...what´s going to change?

I want a sensible mix of the plainer style and the more eccentric styles really. I'd like him in a long black coat with a turned up collar. Maybe have a double breasted waist coat like the eighth doctor. Something along the lines of the Shalka doctor would suit Capaldi.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 10:24 PM   #62
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post
Both of Eleven's main outfits have been eccentric, but primarily so because they're on a younger body. Well, and the current one is eccentric anyway, except that he adopted it in the Victorian era.

Anyhoo, I don't want to see Twelve in anything remotely 9-ish or 10-ish. I'd rather see them go in a direction like 8, 2 or (maybe) 4 with his wardrobe. But as long as we stay away from Six's technicolor dreamcoat, I think we'll be okay.
Today's HD would allow that technicolor thing to blind viewers. Think of the lawsuits!

Like Green Lantern said, the Shalka outfit, slightly toned down as far as the style, would suit Capaldi pretty well.

And I would like to hear his natural accent used.
Ar-Pharazon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 01:15 AM   #63
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Something like this perhaps?

"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 01:39 AM   #64
Sketcher
Commander

I hope they go with something like what Hugh Laurie wore on House - blazer, jeans, t-shirt. Something more contemporary and youthful while still conveying that the Doctor is a smart, eccentric individual.
Sketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 02:21 AM   #65
Saul
Rear Admiral

I hope they don't try to dress him up as a Pirate like they did Matt Smith.
Old August 8 2013, 03:43 AM   #66
jbny67
Commander

What The Future Holds For Capaldi’s Doctor

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/what-the-fu...ctor-51884.htm

jbny67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 03:53 AM   #67
chelly
Commander

When was 11 dressed as a pirate?
chelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 04:10 AM   #68
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

The plan early on was to put him in a big piratey "Jack Sparrow"-esque outfit. He reportedly objected.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Old August 8 2013, 04:12 AM   #69
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

jbny67 wrote: View Post

Note that the picture is a 'shop and based on the same photo I referenced for my drawing.
Old August 8 2013, 08:55 AM   #70
Starkers
Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
jbny67 wrote: View Post

Note that the picture is a 'shop and based on the same photo I referenced for my drawing.
I really don't think the Doctor should be dressed as Walter Bishop (as wonderful as Walter is)

Putting Smith in a tweed jacket emphasised the old man in the young man notion, sticking Capaldi in a cardigan would just make an old man look older!

I kinda like the idea of a blazer with a t-shirt under it, a mixture of styles would suit Capaldi I think.

As for Smith's pirate look, since no pics ever came out it we'll never know what it looked like, though I do suspect it was more grungy/toned down that the Jack Sparrow ensemble people probably suspect. Does perplext me though, I guessed the tweed jacket look v early on, seemed perfect for Matt Smith given that even in his first interview he had a mad professor air about him.
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 09:26 AM   #71
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

I suspect it was a big 19th century coat of some kind with big brass buttons and oversized cuffs, perhaps with a bit of the ratty-edged leather grunginess we see in the notDoctor's outfit.
Old August 8 2013, 11:02 AM   #72
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Well depending on how they deal with the whole Trenzalore thing, I think maybe at least for his post regen, maybe 11's slacks and shirt, no vest.

I DO see Clara being the one to choose his wardrobe - everytime he's regen'd he's had a wardrobe choosing scene, be nice to see him dressed for a change by a companion. I'm thinking black slacks, black loafers, a brighter shirt - like maybe a blue or green oxford and a light colored blazer, no tie for the most part, with a scarf again. Not that he needs a large and loudly colored scarf like 4, but something to sort of give that 'Doctoral' look. Still modern looking, but like a cleaned up version of 11's absent minded professor look.

As for his sonic, I'm thinking strip down the current one, remove the claws and just have it look more silver with the green probe at the end, maybe a return to the extension of the 9/10th Doctor's sonic but with more of a ring and maybe bring in the tilting head feature that 9/10's was supposed to have with extending feet.
Old August 8 2013, 08:45 PM   #73
beneldon
Lieutenant Commander

I began to see the Eccleston Doctor when he was at the dinner table with the orphans in The Empty Child. for some reason, that did it for me but he was only around for another few eps regenerating into David Tennant. I took a liking to #10 as most everyone else in the world early on and was quite saddened when My Favorite Doctor; Tom Baker's record seven series would not be broken. When I saw a picture of Matt Smith as he was slated to be #11 my first thought was "WTF! He looks so twee and fey!" and I hated "Geronimo!" Fish and custard was a good start, but what sealed it for me was the scene in The Hungrey Earth when the people barracaded in the church realized that the kid was missing and it was the Doctor's fault. The way Smith backed up and reacted so innocent with a dawning realization that he really screwed up was just brilliant!

All that said, when the clenching fist turned into Peter Capaldi I wasn't too impressed and subsequent viewings of his Malcolm character has pushed me off this new Doctor.

All THAT said, I've learned my lesson about book cover judging and want to give Mr. Capaldi a chance. I understand him to be a great actor and a fan of the show since childhood so I don't think it's a safe bet I would stop watching the show (such esoteric fandom has no place in true show love!) In fact, I think an "older" Doctor is just what would be needed since this would be his uh, "last" regeneration and the good Doctor would want to take it easy in his twilight years. That, and a dashing male hottie companion is just what the Clara ordered to give the tweenagers a thrill now that fezes and bow ties are no longer cool.
beneldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 12:48 AM   #74
chelly
Commander

Starkers wrote: View Post
I'm still curious as to whether Clara has seen 12's face before or not. Theorectically she should have seen all his incarnations in his timestream, but she does very specifically mention 11 faces when faced by Hurt.
I assumed that his death was from from the intelligence messing with his past and that energy was there because Claire wasn't there to go into the stream and save him. Though I could be forgetting something important.
chelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 01:46 AM   #75
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Okay... Here's a fucking novel idea... How about he's the Doctor who changes his clothes every day.

Lets just consider that even if the TARDIS is self cleaning, and that that self cleaning extends to the people inside the TARDIS and the clothes which they are wearing, as they are still wearing what they are wearing, nanties or targeted microdematerialiazation of fluff, grit and grime, that because the Doctor doesn't sleep (Does he sleep? Can sleep and doesn't have to sleep are different.) he can go for months were he is wearing exactly the same pair of manties without falter or reprieve.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote