Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate Pacific Rim?
A+ 31 24.80%
A 35 28.00%
A- 15 12.00%
B+ 25 20.00%
B 7 5.60%
B- 2 1.60%
C+ 2 1.60%
C 1 0.80%
C- 1 0.80%
D+ 1 0.80%
D 1 0.80%
D- 3 2.40%
F+ 0 0%
F 1 0.80%
F- 0 0%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 7 2013, 02:39 PM   #256
KGator
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Pacific Rim - Grading and Discussion

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
The Wall just didn't make any sense from the beginning. Even if it did manage to keep one out, they knew the portal would keep churning more and more out. I just don't understand the point of how anyone could have thought it was a good idea compared to countless other potential ideas. Hell, why not just gather up all the metals they wasted on the wall and dump it on top of the portal.
I'm thinking the Wall idea wouldn't favor the worlds shipping industry too much either. What happens when the worlds oceans gradually fill up with giant, vicious, dangerous sea monsters because the walls keep them off the land or out of cities???

It looks like Pacific Rim will clear $85-90 million in China which should put the Worldwide Gross between $375 and $415 million. That makes a sequel much more likely. Good news for Pacific Rim fans. Brazil, Spain and Japan are the remaining markets for PR. Japan being the most important. Hopefully it makes $30-35 million there.
KGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 07:54 PM   #257
davejames
Vice Admiral

Wow, they're not kidding about the importance of the foreign market, are they? At this rate, Del Toro could probably make a whole string of PR sequels, and if they all bombed in the US it probably wouldn't even matter much.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 01:53 AM   #258
Gojira
Commodore

Right now it is showing a 104 million $ profit in total world wide box office. I read that the ssequel is underway but it could alays be cancled. If it contines to do well in the foreign market I still think a sequel is very possible.
Old August 8 2013, 05:31 PM   #259
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

This movie would have made huge sense if it was made as an 1800's steampunk movie with giant steam-powered robots.

But anyway, whatever, lots of stuff blowed up so I give it an A
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 05:54 PM   #260
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Snaploud wrote: View Post

Yeah, I'm not buying it. They had a surplus of men working on the wall, and there appeared to be plenty of people wandering around those cities not working on the wall of life. The material used to construct a few Jaegers is miniscule compared to that needed to build a "wall of life" around entire countries. As for money: we're talking about the end of the world here. They could just confiscate the resources or raise taxes if they're that strapped for cash.
Exactly. Besides we have a real life example to compare it against. Towards the end of WWII Germany was being bombed into instinction by the allies - yet they seemed to muster up the resources to build huge underground factories. German slaves/citizens were churning out war materials up until the final days of the war.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 07:13 PM   #261
sojourner
Admiral

.....aaand Godwined. Thread over.
Old August 8 2013, 07:16 PM   #262
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Technically not. Never used the, "N" word.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 08:19 PM   #263
EyalM
Captain

An entertaining but really dumb movie.

The wall seemed to be an ill-conceived way of having the Jaegers working with no resources.
Why not surround the rift (or what ever it was called) with a hundreds of those blasters the hero Jaeger had?
It also seems silly to station the Jaegers on land and wait until the monsters make (or almost make) landfall, when the Jaegers are water proof and could have been stationed next to the rift on rotating duty (no need to spread them out).
Old August 8 2013, 10:48 PM   #264
sojourner
Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
Technically not. Never used the, "N" word.
eh, close enough.
Old August 8 2013, 11:36 PM   #265
Shurik
Fleet Captain

EyalM wrote: View Post

The wall seemed to be an ill-conceived way of having the Jaegers working with no resources.
Why not surround the rift (or what ever it was called) with a hundreds of those blasters the hero Jaeger had?
It also seems silly to station the Jaegers on land and wait until the monsters make (or almost make) landfall, when the Jaegers are water proof and could have been stationed next to the rift on rotating duty (no need to spread them out).
Everything that happens in this movie, happens because why not and because of rule of cool.

Every engineering undergrad can pick this movie apart in about 10 seconds. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.
Old August 8 2013, 11:44 PM   #266
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Shurik wrote: View Post

Everything that happens in this movie, happens because why not and because of rule of cool.

Every engineering undergrad can pick this movie apart in about 10 seconds. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.
Might as well put upThe Trope Pacific Rim page
Old August 8 2013, 11:49 PM   #267
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

^^^
Pretty much this.

I loved the film and found it very entertaining (and still hope we'll see a sequel); but you CAN'T look too closely at the plot.

I mean come on - they KNOW exactly where the portal is; and have for years and are even able to predict, practically to the second, the next incursion. Given that, WHY build giant robots at all? Just set a nuke or two up at the portal, timed to go off as soon as a kaiju steps/swims through?
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 12:46 AM   #268
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Noname Given wrote: View Post

^^^
Pretty much this.

I loved the film and found it very entertaining (and still hope we'll see a sequel); but you CAN'T look too closely at the plot.

I mean come on - they KNOW exactly where the portal is; and have for years and are even able to predict, practically to the second, the next incursion. Given that, WHY build giant robots at all? Just set a nuke or two up at the portal, timed to go off as soon as a kaiju steps/swims through?
It's also much easier to build 1000 bombers which can be armed with bunker busting type of rockets, have them in the air as soon as kaiju shows up and blast the damn thing until it drops dead.

There's a rocket that can penetrate 60m of reinforced concrete. I'm sure it's much easier and faster to build thousands of those than one giant robot.

But again, this movie is so entertaining that none of its logic and common sense defying plot points are able to diminish the fun of watching a giant robot punching a giant monster in the face with oil tanker.
Old August 9 2013, 01:12 AM   #269
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

It's also much easier to build 1000 bombers which can be armed with bunker busting type of rockets, have them in the air as soon as kaiju shows up and blast the damn thing until it drops dead.

There's a rocket that can penetrate 60m of reinforced concrete. I'm sure it's much easier and faster to build thousands of those than one giant robot.

But again, this movie is so entertaining that none of its logic and common sense defying plot points are able to diminish the fun of watching a giant robot punching a giant monster in the face with oil tanker.
By the logic of the movie they must have tried that with the existing inventory before the Battle of San Francisco went six days. Only giants can stop giants and for years they swung ships and cargo containers at the kaiju in hand to hand combat before trying a purpose built sword as a last ditch weapon
Old August 9 2013, 01:37 AM   #270
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Kaiju are only vulnerable to massive amounts of kinetic energy (like a rocket power fist) or nuclear radiation. Conventional explosives just doesn't work.

The problem is that Kaiju move (quite fast when they want to). Bunker Busters are only for fixed installations.