RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,755
Posts: 5,216,227
Members: 24,216
Currently online: 960
Newest member: kasmuruis

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 8 2013, 07:47 PM   #31
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Gotham PD show in "Nolanverse" being developed by the WB

^ but I assume by 'classic villains' Konata Izumu was talking about the very sort of unconventional, extraordinary villains Batman has to fight because ordinary cops aren't equipped to.

As to your point about cop shows being easy to sell to the public, really, what's the point of setting the show in Batman's fictional city and avoiding all comic trappings? Why not just make it a real city? Easier still to sell.
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 07:53 PM   #32
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Gotham PD show in "Nolanverse" being developed by the WB

Not much to add, just that I agree with those saying a 'Gotham Central' type series would make more sense in it's own unique continuity, separate from the Nolan films. Indeed, with AoS already on the way and if the 'Powers' TV show ever gets off the ground, this show could be made redundant very quickly...on the other hand that never stopped them from making a bazillion versions of CSI.

Regardless, the possibility of a live action version of Bullock and Montoya alone makes the show a must see for me. A version of Cassandra Cain could also be interesting.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 07:56 PM   #33
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Gotham PD show in "Nolanverse" being developed by the WB

I think it'd make more sense for them to wait until Batman is reintroduced in the flow-up to MOS and set it in that continuity.
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 08:19 PM   #34
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Gotham PD show in "Nolanverse" being developed by the WB

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I think it'd make more sense for them to wait until Batman is reintroduced in the flow-up to MOS and set it in that continuity.
That's assuming the new Gotham will be as visually mundane (and therefore TV-feasible) as Nolan's, though, and not a hyper-gothic fantasy nightmare town a la Arkham City games. In the meantime, sounds like the rich, white Jonathan Nolan would like to make even more sweet green writing scripts that play into societal fear and distrust of inner cities without waiting to see in which direction the new Batman's Gotham will go.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 08:45 PM   #35
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Gotham PD show in "Nolanverse" being developed by the WB

And that should be 'follow-up.' Bloody iPhone!
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 09:07 PM   #36
Locutus of Bored
No Solicitors!
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: Gotham PD show in "Nolanverse" being developed by the WB

Gaith wrote: View Post
Not to mention that the notion of a glossy, high-budget show fetishizing a super-criminal vs. authoritarian police "war" at a time when many real American police forces are having to lay off desperately needed officers due to budget cuts, and when prisons nationwide are severely overcrowded and increasingly run for profit, is frankly kinda sick.
Gaith wrote: View Post
In the meantime, sounds like the rich, white Jonathan Nolan would like to make even more sweet green writing scripts that play into societal fear and distrust of inner cities without waiting to see in which direction the new Batman's Gotham will go.
You're right, people should just stop writing crime stories altogether until all the nation's social problems are wrapped up completely. So like, never. Or, maybe they can use those stories as a vehicle to talk about those very issues.

I also like the completely baseless implication of racism, classism, and fearmongering against Jonathan Nolan exclusively, because he wrote stories set in a fictional universe that's been around since the 30s.

You stay classy, Gaith.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 09:37 PM   #37
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Gotham PD show in "Nolanverse" being developed by the WB

I don't know. I want to like this idea, but it's not really doing anything for me. It is set in the Nolan continuity, but it seems highly unlikely any of the characters we actually know or care about will be in it. Being set between TDK and TDKR kind of limits what they can do, since we all know how things have to play out, especially if they do use Commissioner Gordon and John Blake (even if recast with different actors). Although on the other hand, that period does span something like eight years which even if the show is a raging success there's a slim chance it'll surpass that length.

So as it stands, unless they do recast Gordon and Blake as I doubt Gary Oldman or JGL will agree to star in the show, it'll likely star brand new characters, or are there police characters from the comics they could use? Then, obviously no Batman, one wonders why bother doing a cop show about Gotham anyway?

Still, I guess it sounds better than the legal drama about Bruce Wayne's lawyers I joke about occasionally.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 09:53 PM   #38
Konata Izumi
Commander
 
Konata Izumi's Avatar
 
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Re: Gotham PD show in "Nolanverse" being developed by the WB

The show sounds like a decent idea. First episode of Person of Interest was thin and aimless. Can Jonathan Nolan write?
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ but I assume by 'classic villains' Konata Izumu was talking about the very sort of unconventional, extraordinary villains Batman has to fight because ordinary cops aren't equipped to.
They don't have to be that incredibly powerful. They can be just weird.
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Easier still to sell.
This is the reason it's in the Nolan universe. They probably wanted a show with some comic book characters.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 10:11 PM   #39
Locutus of Bored
No Solicitors!
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: Gotham PD show in "Nolanverse" being developed by the WB

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Still, I guess it sounds better than the legal drama about Bruce Wayne's lawyers I joke about occasionally.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 10:30 PM   #40
marksound
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Planet Carcazed
Re: Gotham PD show in "Nolanverse" being developed by the WB

This would work:

marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 10:57 PM   #41
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Gotham PD show in "Nolanverse" being developed by the WB

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
You're right, people should just stop writing crime stories altogether until all the nation's social problems are wrapped up completely. So like, never. Or, maybe they can use those stories as a vehicle to talk about those very issues.
Of course artists should talk about these issues. But I've seen around eight hours of the Nolan/Goyer Gotham saga, and apart from "terrorism murder is bad", I don't see any attempt at making any kind of meaningful contribution to the national conversation. Oh, sure, there are feints and throwaway references to stuff like warrantless wiretapping, the Patriot Act and wealth inequality, but they're almost always immediately forgotten in favor of the next big plot twist, or some BS about the state of Officer Matthew Modine's courage. And while their visual representation of Gotham is deliberately contemporary and realistic, pretty much nothing else is.

Mind, DC isn't alone in this. I have deep misgivings about, say, the nature, jurisdiction, and political accountability of SHIELD. (Never mind the fact that the US government totally owns Tony Stark's Arc reactor technology.) But while MCU entertainment also doesn't say anything remotely related to contemporary crime and punishment, it doesn't feed off of those issues as the Dark Knight trilogy does, either.

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
I also like the completely baseless implication of racism, classism, and fearmongering against Jonathan Nolan exclusively, because he wrote stories set in a fictional universe that's been around since the 30s.
Accusing someone of exploiting issues and cultural iconography with heavy racial implications for the purposes of a total fantasy narrative isn't nearly the same thing as accusing them of racism. And I don't care how long the comics have been around, when their adaptations of the same are very much rooted in the now. And "completely baseless"? Are eight hours of film not relevant to a proposed interquel to said films?
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 11:07 PM   #42
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Gotham PD show in "Nolanverse" being developed by the WB

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ but I assume by 'classic villains' Konata Izumu was talking about the very sort of unconventional, extraordinary villains Batman has to fight because ordinary cops aren't equipped to.
It is hardly unprecedented for comics characters to be reinterpreted for the screen. Look at Arrow. It uses a lot of characters from DC Comics but "grounds" them in a more naturalistic universe without superpowers. For instance, Count Vertigo becomes a drug kingpin who sells a vertigo-inducing street drug, and Firefly becomes a former fireman who's now a crazed arsonist.

Besides, Batman's rogues' gallery includes a lot of gangster-type figures, like Rupert Thorne, Black Mask, and Maxie Zeus, and serial-killer types like Zsasz. They're not all costumed supervillains.

Remember, in the Nolanverse, Batman wasn't needed because the criminals surpassed what the police could handle; he was needed because the police force was corrupt and ineffectual. What Nolan's Batman did was create a new sense of hope that inspired the Gothamites to take back the city for themselves, and under Jim Gordon and Harvey Dent, rebuild Gotham's police and judicial system so that they could handle crime themselves, thereby leaving Batman redundant. As I already said, that's why Batman retired at the end of TDK -- because he wasn't needed anymore. That was the whole point of the end of the movie. So this is a natural outgrowth of that. Sure, in the context of the comics or an animated version of Batman, it would be strange for Batman not to get involved in fighting major criminals, but in the context of the Nolanverse it is the natural, expected evolution from the end of TDK.


As to your point about cop shows being easy to sell to the public, really, what's the point of setting the show in Batman's fictional city and avoiding all comic trappings? Why not just make it a real city? Easier still to sell.
What's the point of setting some cop shows in New York, others in Boston, others in San Francisco, and so on? What's the point of giving one detective an eidetic memory, another a knack for reading faces, another a forensic-scientist consultant, another a mystery-novelist partner, etc.? The goal is to follow a formula while also making each show a distinct enough variation on that formula to stand out.

Besides, it's not about fictional settings versus real ones. It's about the fact that Nolan's Batman movies were hugely successful and profitable and so of course they'd want to ride those coattails somehow. Heck, Arrow is already an emulation of the Nolanverse's style and approach, and it's doing pretty well. Why wouldn't they want to promote a show as an actual part of that universe? There's money to be made there, and that's the answer to any and every question about why a television network or a movie studio makes a decision.


The Wormhole wrote: View Post
So as it stands, unless they do recast Gordon and Blake as I doubt Gary Oldman or JGL will agree to star in the show, it'll likely star brand new characters, or are there police characters from the comics they could use?
Absolutely, yes, there are. It's been mentioned earlier in the thread that there has already been an ongoing comic-book series about the Gotham PD, Gotham Central. It didn't sell well, but it was critically acclaimed.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog

Last edited by Christopher; August 9 2013 at 02:22 AM.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 02:14 AM   #43
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey Falls
Re: Gotham PD show in "Nolanverse" being developed by the WB

In the meantime, sounds like the rich, white Jonathan Nolan would like to make even more sweet green writing scripts that play into societal fear and distrust of inner cities
Did this guy "Jonathan Nolan" have anything to do with TDK, in which the big, bad inner city residents, including hardened criminals, mysteriously did the right thing and declined to blow each other up at the risk of their own lives?
__________________
"In the future... do I make it?"
"No."
Set Harth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 02:23 AM   #44
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Gotham PD show in "Nolanverse" being developed by the WB

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Did this guy "Jonathan Nolan" have anything to do with TDK, in which the big, bad inner city residents, including hardened criminals, mysteriously did the right thing and declined to blow each other up at the risk of their own lives?
I figure that's a rhetorical question, but yeah, he cowrote it.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 04:29 AM   #45
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Gotham PD show in "Nolanverse" being developed by the WB

I'll admit when I read the first couple posts of the thread I was skeptical, but as I think about this more it has potential. There seem to be plenty of police characters in the Batman comics that could be used in the show, and there are quite a few villains who would be easy to adapt into the Nolanverse that we never saw in the movies. With the most obvious ones (to me at least) being Penguin, The Riddler, and Black Mask. And there even some of the more fantastic ones would be easy to adapt in a similar style to what Arrow did with Vertigo and Firefly. For instance Poison Ivy could just become a bioterrorist who uses toxins, and Clayface could just be a master of disguise.
Actually I just looked him up and the first Clayface wasn't even a shapeshifter, he was an actor who wore a mask for a character called Clayface. So they could just do a direct adaptation of that storyline with no real changes.
I do think a show set in a more fantastic version of Gotham, with a part-plant/plant controling Poison Ivy and a shapeshifting Clayface could be a lot of fun, but this isn't totally without potential.
__________________
Over the course of many encounters and many years, I have successfully developed a standard operating procedure for dealing with big, nasty monsters. Run away. Me and Monty Python.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
batman

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.