Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 7 2013, 11:31 PM   #16
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Re: Alternate history tv shows

Mysterion wrote: View Post
A perennial favorite of late-night cable TV:

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
(RKO, 1946)

Archeologist "Indy" Jones (Jimmy Stewart) and his girlfriend Marion (June Allyson) and sidekick Sallah (Orson Welles) undertake a quest to find the Ark of The Covenant before the Nazis do. Directed by John Ford (under protest and contractual obligation), Raiders continues to be a fan-favorite despite it's obvious low-budget back-lot locations. The film does feature some innovative special effects work by Ray Harryhausen (although there is an obvious pane of glass separating Stewart from a snake in one scene). Look for some interesting supporting performances by Peter Lorre as the Gestapo Agent Major Toht, and Claude Raines as Indy's rival Dr. Belloq. Despite the film's age and flaws, many find it to be superior to Steven Spielberg's 1981 re-make starring Tom Selleck as Jones and Sean Young as Marion.

(Excerpted with permission from "The Ultimate Movie Guide" by Roger Ebert (1999, Schuster & Simon, New Amsterdam)
I never much cared for Raiders...but I never passed up the chance to catch one of the old Lone Ranger movies on late night tv. I always thought Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce nailed the characters of Tonto and The Ranger. Johnny Depp's recent attempt to channel Rathbone's Tonto felt really flat by comparison, nearly as lame as that weak re-make he did of Ernest Borgnine's Oscar-winning film, Harvey.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 01:51 AM   #17
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Star Trek TOS has sort of become this over the years, if unintentionally.
Most TV shows are Alternate Histories to some degree.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 03:55 AM   #18
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Mistral wrote: View Post
Mysterion wrote: View Post
A perennial favorite of late-night cable TV:

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
(RKO, 1946)

Archeologist "Indy" Jones (Jimmy Stewart) and his girlfriend Marion (June Allyson) and sidekick Sallah (Orson Welles) undertake a quest to find the Ark of The Covenant before the Nazis do. Directed by John Ford (under protest and contractual obligation), Raiders continues to be a fan-favorite despite it's obvious low-budget back-lot locations. The film does feature some innovative special effects work by Ray Harryhausen (although there is an obvious pane of glass separating Stewart from a snake in one scene). Look for some interesting supporting performances by Peter Lorre as the Gestapo Agent Major Toht, and Claude Raines as Indy's rival Dr. Belloq. Despite the film's age and flaws, many find it to be superior to Steven Spielberg's 1981 re-make starring Tom Selleck as Jones and Sean Young as Marion.

(Excerpted with permission from "The Ultimate Movie Guide" by Roger Ebert (1999, Schuster & Simon, New Amsterdam)
I never much cared for Raiders...but I never passed up the chance to catch one of the old Lone Ranger movies on late night tv. I always thought Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce nailed the characters of Tonto and The Ranger. Johnny Depp's recent attempt to channel Rathbone's Tonto felt really flat by comparison, nearly as lame as that weak re-make he did of Ernest Borgnine's Oscar-winning film, Harvey.
Ernest Borgnine was great as The Godfather.
Old August 8 2013, 04:10 AM   #19
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

FreezeC77 wrote: View Post
chardman wrote: View Post
All these sci-fi/alternate history versions of "Adam 12" got me thinking: Anyone else think that the makers of "Predator 2" blew an opportunity by naming Kent McCord's character "Captain B. Pilgrim" (an Easter egg in itself) instead of "Captain Jim Reed" after his Adam-12 character?
Could be copyright reasons. Like how Tom Paris isn't named Nick Lacarno...
Meh, "Jim Reed" seems like a common enough name. (Especially since his first name would not, necessarily, have to ever be used. Just call him Captain Reed.)
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 04:10 AM   #20
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Mickey Rooney deserved every Emmy he won as "Archie Bunker" on All In the Family.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 06:28 AM   #21
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Caroll O'Conner deserved more Emmies as George Jefferson.
Old August 8 2013, 10:49 AM   #22
Mistral
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Caroll O'Conner deserved more Emmies as George Jefferson.
Agreed. Its damn difficult for a white actor to pass as Hispanic.

Old August 8 2013, 11:07 AM   #23
Takeru
Fleet Captain

[QUOTE=Mistral;8484508]
Not really, they just don't pass for the cliche hispanic that most people think of when they hear the word. Not even many hispanic actors would "pass" as that specific image of a hispanic person.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 11:51 AM   #24
Mistral
Vice Admiral

[QUOTE=Takeru;8484553]
Not really, they just don't pass for the cliche hispanic that most people think of when they hear the word. Not even many hispanic actors would "pass" as that specific image of a hispanic person.
I think you missed something there.

Old August 8 2013, 12:36 PM   #25
Takeru
Fleet Captain

I think you missed something there.
What did I miss? I'm just pointing out that Caroll O'Conner could have easily played a hispanic guy, I know that he didn't and that you're all talking about made up alternate versions of tv shows.

But I have to admit that the clone Adam-12 story got me, I was really interested in that show and checked it out on wikipedia ... lets say I was a little bit disappointed when I realized my mistake.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 02:37 PM   #26
TemporalFlux
Commodore

I still like the Sliders season one episode where Rembrandt was famous; it was a world where all second bananas were famous. They were watching shows like Skipper's Island and I Love Ethel.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 03:50 PM   #27
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Man, there's nothing like the 20th season of Cop Rock.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 03:59 PM   #28
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Much better than the Vanilla Ice-hosted In Living Color, to be sure. Though they did have that one actor who took off. Who was it, Will Smith?
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 04:01 PM   #29
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Takeru wrote: View Post
But I have to admit that the clone Adam-12 story got me, I was really interested in that show and checked it out on wikipedia ... lets say I was a little bit disappointed when I realized my mistake.
My work here is done...

Old August 8 2013, 04:10 PM   #30
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Man, there's nothing like the 20th season of Cop Rock.
Sonny and Cher's 25th Wedding Anniversary Special was awesome!