RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,819
Currently online: 442
Newest member: Werner Bitterli

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 2 2013, 04:10 PM   #31
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Re: Dexter - The Final Season (Spoiler Discussion)

It was Make Your Own Kind of Music from the Season 2 premiere, which is the title of the next episode... probably not coincidentally.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 01:15 AM   #32
billcosby
Commodore

This season is just trickling along. I was hoping for a bit more excitement. Masuka's gold digging daughter? zzzzzz.

I wonder is the producers have any ambitions for a film spin off?

If not, I could totally see Dexter getting killed (or nearly) by his mentor, the Dr Author woman. Then Deb will take his place, adopting Harry's code. It would be sort of interesting to see Deb imagining Dexter appearing as a ghost (like Dexter's dad) helping her cover her tracks while snuffing out serial killers.

Maybe Quinn, Masuka and Angel will ever help her out. I doubt it. I think this show might take the safe ending, all living happily ever after, Dex, Deb and Harrison survive and continue brother-and-sister killing team.

I don't see these storylines from past seasons converging. Why did I think Lumen was coming back? What about all the other people out there that are still alive who knows Dexter's secret?

Pretty much every guest star ends up being the nemesis... so there is a chance that we'll finally get to see Dr. author lady's motivations. IF they've been revealed already I must not have been paying attention.

Deb: "the family that kills together stays together." I like the idea of her being the central character, the serial killer who kills other serial killers. She has firsthand knowledge of the ineffectiveness of the justice system. And she's a standout character of this long running series with many ups (John Lithgow!!!) and downs (nearly anything Rita-related).

Just checking the wiki page... tonight's is #6 or 13 so there are seven more to pick up the pace, hopefully. I want everyone to know. I want to see how the MMPD staff deals with Dex being a serial killer. I don't want this revelations wasted at the end of the series with no time to reflect on them. I can image they'll initially go through shock then anger... but when they realize the end goal of his actions (protecting the innocent) they just may support him.

The remains of the season:

90 6 "A Little Reflection"[99] John Dahl[100] Jace Richdale August 4, 2013[44]

91 7 "Dress Code"[101]

August 11, 2013[44]
92 8 "Are We There Yet?"[102]

August 18, 2013[44]
93 9 "Make Your Own Kind of Music"[103]

August 25, 2013[44]
94 10 "Goodbye Miami"[104]

September 8, 2013[44]
95 11 "Monkey In A Box"[105]

September 15, 2013[44]
96 12 "Remember the Monsters?"[106]

September 22, 2013[44]

One last thought, is Tom Matthews the long time antagonist? How much doea he really know about Dex's background? I often wonder as he tend to do a lot of shit disturbing in the background. He's got a bit of dirty cop to him... and it makes me wonder if Dex's final confrontation will be with him.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 08:35 PM   #33
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

billcosby wrote: View Post
I don't see these storylines from past seasons converging. Why did I think Lumen was coming back? What about all the other people out there that are still alive who knows Dexter's secret?
Honestly, I much rather have Lumen return than Hannah fucking McKay, but then I'm pretty certain I'm the only person who actually liked Lumen (granted it helps I love Julia Stiles and can't stand Yvonne Strahovski).

Also, I'm getting really fed up with the lack of references to Rita. There was some comment towards the end of the episode by Deb in regards to Dexter and women and I thought to myself "Have they both forgotten about Rita?!"

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 03:49 AM   #34
billcosby
Commodore

^^ Not only Rita, Cody and Aster certainly disappeared into a big puff as well.

Old August 6 2013, 11:19 PM   #35
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Cody and Aster came back for an episode or two last year.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 04:04 AM   #36
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i think at this point Cody and Aster would just be extremely annoying. i didn't care at all when Aster came back and was 'troubled'.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 11:22 PM   #37
davejames
Vice Admiral

Jeez, didn't think it was possible but this episode was even more sluggish and lacking in urgency than the last one. And does anybody seriously want to watch Dexter train this kid in using the Code? Or watch a developing romance between Deb and the PI guy? I mean, really??

It's just baffling to me that the writers continue to focus on these storylines during the final year.

Thankfully there were enough funny lines to keep this episode watchable (loved Dexter's line about the bloody teddy bear, his inability to talk about what he does with his boat, and Debra's "Sorry, cow"). And it looks like the pace might be finally picking up a bit with the return of Hannah.... but still, I'm not going to get my hopes up.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 11:57 PM   #38
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

You really think Deb's boss is just a romantic interest? That they'd cast a (relatively) big name for a two-bit part like that?
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 12:05 AM   #39
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well even if he somehow uncovers their secret and plays a big role at the end, that doesn't forgive how tedious and uninteresting everything leading UP to that point has been. Same with all the other little subplots this season.
Old August 8 2013, 12:36 AM   #40
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Think more of him being the big baddie.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 02:18 AM   #41
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

davejames wrote: View Post
And does anybody seriously want to watch Dexter train this kid in using the Code? Or watch a developing romance between Deb and the PI guy?
I think Young Indy is there to give Deb a means of escaping the country once Dexter's secret is exposed and people start putting together the pieces about his victims and what happened to La Guerta. He's independently wealthy, smart, knows police tactics, and has few major ties keeping him in the country now that he's distanced his sister from her creep boyfriend. They might even take Harrison with them if Dexter knows he's going to be caught or killed well in advance.

As far as Psycho Lad goes, if they have him try and kill off Dexter in the Sith master & apprentice style, or have him implied to be the new Dexter carrying on the code once Dexter is in prison or dead at the end of the series, then I won't mind the introduction. If he's just another kill for Dexter though, without any further payoff, that would seem wasteful, especially with introducing Dr. Vogel into the mix and having her teach him the Code along with Dex.

I do think there is some potential for conflict between Dexter and Psycho Lad given the profile of women he's killed so far. While up to now they've all been women his dad has cheated on his mother with, they've also all been Hispanic domestics. So maybe that becomes his "type." And given that Quinn is the one following him and Dexter is the one training him, that gives two different ways for him to possibly become obsessed with Jamie Batista as a target, which would place her and possibly Harrison at risk and give Dexter ample reason to end him.

Not sure how Hannah figures into all this yet, except maybe as the way to expose Dexter to the police, or as one final kill that Deb has to make which convinces her once and for all that she needs to get away from Dex and Miami and leave the country.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 01:33 PM   #42
billcosby
Commodore

^^ Some of that awesome stuff had better appear on screen, and not a goofy "imagine what happens" as Angel and the team learn about Dex and Deb during the last 10 minutes of the finale.

They should be finding out now. Not at the last minute.

+1 to all of davejames' critical observations. All I can say on the positive side is that we do have 6 episodes left... and the third last episode is called "Goodbye Miami." So there's hope yet for the story to unfold with some development, excitement and closure. I so want to see the Morgans on the lam.

It would be cool to have a lot more dead people from previous seasons talking to Dexter in his mind to wrap things up (figuratively). I'd love to see Doakes again, he was killed off so soon! Classic Dexter, muthafucka.

Old August 8 2013, 09:20 PM   #43
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

I'd love to see Doakes again, he was killed off so soon! Classic Dexter, muthafucka.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 01:00 AM   #44
davejames
Vice Admiral

It would be cool to have a lot more dead people from previous seasons talking to Dexter in his mind to wrap things up (figuratively). I'd love to see Doakes again, he was killed off so soon! Classic Dexter, muthafucka.
Yeah it would be awesome to see Rita, Doakes, Trinity or hell, even Lumen again. Just to make this feel like some kind of epic conclusion to the entire series, which so far it's not feeling like at all.
Old August 9 2013, 02:26 AM   #45
Random_Spock
Fleet Captain

View Random_Spock's Twitter Profile

davejames wrote: View Post
Yeah it would be awesome to see Rita, Doakes, Trinity or hell, even Lumen again. Just to make this feel like some kind of epic conclusion to the entire series, which so far it's not feeling like at all.
Definitely. This season has been underwhelming to say the least. The most surprising thing was seeing Deb drive off the road to try and kill both her and Dexter off. Other than that... it's been rather flat.