Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 7 2013, 06:46 AM   #16
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Re: Bridge Ceiling / Dome

It's not as bad as the layout of Star Destroyers. The shield generator and bridge locations are not the best designs.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 06:36 PM   #17
jaygibson77
Lieutenant

I just remember reading somewhere way back when that it had some sort of purpose. Maybe it was FASA manual or something. I was just curious if anyone else had heard that. There's so much in the Trek universe, both canon and non that I thought it was a legitimate question.

As ornate as it was, it almost seems likely to be more than skylight.

Picard: Mr. Data, it's such a beautiful evening out. Let's ride with the top down! Engage!
jaygibson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 07:40 PM   #18
Richard Baker
Commander

Too small to be of much practical use...
I think it was more as a tip of the hat to the Constitution class which had a clear dome ceiling (only seen well in "The Cage"/"Court Martial").
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 08:54 PM   #19
JJohnson
Captain

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I know, but one static shot of the cube looming above wouldn't have been hard to do.
Actually, given the time period, it would've been pretty hard to do. Impossible? No. But timely and likely expensive (there were no blue/green screens above the set) to do for almost no pay-off.
Today we could rotoscope a Borg cube, Romulan Warbird, etc up there very easily. A perfect opportunity now that we have TNG-R, if they would only take it.
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 09:52 PM   #20
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

JJohnson wrote: View Post
Today we could rotoscope a Borg cube, Romulan Warbird, etc up there very easily. A perfect opportunity now that we have TNG-R, if they would only take it.
You don't seem to understand the purpose of TNG-R.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 10:02 PM   #21
Timo
Admiral

...There's also the problem that if you inserted fancy new VFX beyond the top dome, you'd then have to explain why none of the heroes are paying any attention to it!

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 12:58 AM   #22
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

"Captain, look up! A Borg ship!"

Crew crane their necks.

"Hang on, I'll just put it on screen."

"Make it so.
Old August 8 2013, 08:57 AM   #23
Mage
Commodore

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
The purpose was to give the TV audience a greater sense of actually being in space. It didn't make a lot of practical sense, but then again having the bridge module where it was -- right on top of the saucer -- never made much sense to me either. Way too vulnerable there. It should have been hidden right in the middle of the saucer where it would be better protected and allow for easier and more direct access to other parts of the ship in an emergency situation. But sometimes practical considerations have to be weighed against the dramatic needs of television series.

I never got that argument. Unless I'm mistaken, aren't the command centres on aircraftcarriers and other military vessels located on top of a tower on the deck of the ship? I could be wrong ofcourse, but if that's true, I've never heard anyone complain about that.
Old August 8 2013, 09:16 AM   #24
Retu
Lieutenant Commander

Mage wrote: View Post
The purpose was to give the TV audience a greater sense of actually being in space. It didn't make a lot of practical sense, but then again having the bridge module where it was -- right on top of the saucer -- never made much sense to me either. Way too vulnerable there. It should have been hidden right in the middle of the saucer where it would be better protected and allow for easier and more direct access to other parts of the ship in an emergency situation. But sometimes practical considerations have to be weighed against the dramatic needs of television series.

I never got that argument. Unless I'm mistaken, aren't the command centres on aircraftcarriers and other military vessels located on top of a tower on the deck of the ship? I could be wrong ofcourse, but if that's true, I've never heard anyone complain about that.
Navigation bridge is usually up there. And that is used in peace time condition, when the visibility of the area surrounding the ship is of utmost importance. Like coming into port or navigating a busy shipping lane.

Fighting the ship is done from Combat Information Center (CIC) and that is situated belowdecks. CIC is one of the best protected parts of the ship.

Regarding the location of bridges in Star Trek. I don't think it really matters where the bridge is. The primary defense of a starship are her shields and when those go down, the ship is in big trouble. Sure the exterior bridge might provide a nice spot for aiming, but we've also seen a photon torpedo punching clean through the unshielded saucer section or the Borg cutting beams slicing through starships like they were made of butter. And sensors probably can pinpoint a buried command center just as well.
-Sir William Bragg
Retu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 09:50 AM   #25
Mage
Commodore

Retu wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post

Navigation bridge is usually up there. And that is used in peace time condition, when the visibility of the area surrounding the ship is of utmost importance. Like coming into port or navigating a busy shipping lane.

Fighting the ship is done from Combat Information Center (CIC) and that is situated belowdecks. CIC is one of the best protected parts of the ship.

Regarding the location of bridges in Star Trek. I don't think it really matters where the bridge is. The primary defense of a starship are her shields and when those go down, the ship is in big trouble. Sure the exterior bridge might provide a nice spot for aiming, but we've also seen a photon torpedo punching clean through the unshielded saucer section or the Borg cutting beams slicing through starships like they were made of butter. And sensors probably can pinpoint a buried command center just as well.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, about the Navigation Bridge and CIC.