TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old July 27 2013, 07:43 AM   #16
Dukhat
Commodore

Re: Plot for a new Star Trek Series

dan_bevan wrote: View Post
They think it belongs in fanfic...
If this is your original idea and you want people to help you work on it, then it either belongs in fanfic or fan productions. If this is just an idea you had about where you think Trek should go in the future and you just want people's opinions about your idea, then it belongs here.

...and that i got no idea what im talking about.
I don't believe anyone said that.

Star Trek cant come back to TV until it has moved on from the old format and comes up with new storylines that would attract new viewers aswell as captivating hard core trekkies. Which is why it needs to remain true to Gene Rodeberry's vision of seeking out new civilizations and boldly going where no man has gone before. The ship will be out in deep space and encountering new species and making first contact aswell as encountering species from other Treks.
Well...no. Star Trek can come back to television whenever CBS feels like creating a series. Whatever format the show takes is secondary to that.

I also believe that story arcs are needed as these seem to be more popular than stand alone episodes these days. I would like to do a mix of stand alone and arcs such as what Enterprise did in the final season.
I agree that story arcs are a good thing.

Last edited by Dukhat; July 27 2013 at 08:30 AM.
Dukhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 09:19 AM   #17
Mage
Commodore

Well, the few points I see, are things that a lot of 'fanboys' come up with for their fanfics, and just aren't very original ideas. The 'war-hero' captain, the 'by-the-book' XO, the misfit crew, all of them having to get along to save the day. Ancient and mysterious aliens who are the threat of all and such. It's not bad in itself, it's just.... been thought of before really.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding a bit harsh. If this was a good written fanfic, I'd give it a shot. But as a tv-show, it sort of feels rehashed.
Old July 27 2013, 10:42 AM   #18
Belz...
Fleet Captain

dan_bevan wrote: View Post
I see some negativity from people already.
Well you have to expect that when you post on the internet.

For what it's worth, thank you for posting your ideas. But it is fan fiction in the sense that it's something a fan made up.
Old July 27 2013, 01:43 PM   #19
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Well you have to be ready for people to disagree with you on a public message board. That's the whole purpose, people expressing differing opinions and discussing them. I think you're blowing the "negativity" out of proportion simply because you're bummed not everyone thinks the idea is as awesome as you do(compared to some threads here this is rather tame ) To your ideas, the main problem with this premise is you really only have a couple seasons worth of material short of this being a full fledged war series.

TNG worked because the Enterprise had full liberty to go anywhere and explore any given storyline.
DS9 worked because, while it had a more fixed setting, it was situated in such a place where any number of storylines came to it.
VOY worked(hey, lasted seven seasons so it did after a fashion) because Voyager also wasn't constrained to a single plot that could be dropped if it wasn't popular(like the Kazon).

So your Anti-Iconians invade again? Even after two seasons the war arc of DS9 was getting a bit redundant, and you can only swing the pendellum of war back and forth so many times before people start loosing interest. So are the heroes going to beat the bad guys and win peace again? Are they going to lose? What happens after they're gone? All questions that you might do well to think on.
Old July 27 2013, 02:27 PM   #20
dan_bevan
Lieutenant

Yeah I think il post the first episode in the fanfiction to see what people think. Im not bummed out but I think it has the potential of being good if done in the right way. This wouldnt be a war show. It would be along the lines of classic Trek in that they are exploring but they do need to face a real threat to Earth and the Federation. I think allegory would work to and parallels to modern terrorism. Im not sure if this threat would last for 1 season and then the rest of the series would be about exploring deep space in the 29th century. It needs to introduce a number of new exotic alien species.
dan_bevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2013, 10:59 PM   #21
Belz...
Fleet Captain

R. Star wrote: View Post
Even after two seasons the war arc of DS9 was getting a bit redundant, and you can only swing the pendellum of war back and forth so many times before people start loosing interest.
I don't know. Humans have been telling the same few stories for the last couple of thousand years. We seem to be getting along fine.
Old July 28 2013, 11:41 PM   #22
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

Which isn't the same thing as a while series of episodes on the topic. Apple, meet orange.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 10:07 AM   #23
Belz...
Fleet Captain

They're both fruits, though.
Old July 29 2013, 04:16 PM   #24
dansigal
Commander

Is it just me or does this seem like its the exercise of saying, what would the plot of the Mass Effect trilogy look like in the Star Trek universe? My other concern here is 2899. The farther we go into the future and try realistically display what that technology and civilization would look like, the harder it is to make it feel relevant or recognizable today. I'm guessing it would be a pretty hard balancing act to pull off successfully. Why not just have it take place in 2450 where the lasting effect of the Dominion War, as well as 50 years of troubles with neighboring empires have turned the Federation into a security first and everything else, including exploration, being a distant second.
dansigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 01:07 PM   #25
anh165
Commander

Mage wrote: View Post
Well, the few points I see, are things that a lot of 'fanboys' come up with for their fanfics, and just aren't very original ideas. The 'war-hero' captain, the 'by-the-book' XO, the misfit crew, all of them having to get along to save the day. Ancient and mysterious aliens who are the threat of all and such. It's not bad in itself, it's just.... been thought of before really.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding a bit harsh. If this was a good written fanfic, I'd give it a shot. But as a tv-show, it sort of feels rehashed.
You have it spot on.

I'll pass.

Too much sentlement towards ideas and productions of old cancelled TV shows in the 1990's - there is only so much you can spin off from the original Trek concept, that's why the reboot is the only way to make Trek work in today's mainstream.
Old August 7 2013, 10:41 AM   #26
dan_bevan
Lieutenant

dansigal wrote: View Post
Is it just me or does this seem like its the exercise of saying, what would the plot of the Mass Effect trilogy look like in the Star Trek universe? My other concern here is 2899. The farther we go into the future and try realistically display what that technology and civilization would look like, the harder it is to make it feel relevant or recognizable today. I'm guessing it would be a pretty hard balancing act to pull off successfully. Why not just have it take place in 2450 where the lasting effect of the Dominion War, as well as 50 years of troubles with neighboring empires have turned the Federation into a security first and everything else, including exploration, being a distant second.
Haven't seen Mass Effect. Was thinking about that, maybe not as far into the future as that. I've been thinking 2600 though, far enough ahead after the Treks we all now. But not too far.

If your interested in reading more about this series i've created a thread in fan productions:
http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=220978
Old August 8 2013, 12:45 AM   #27
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

anh165 wrote: View Post
Too much sentlement towards ideas and productions of old cancelled TV shows in the 1990's - there is only so much you can spin off from the original Trek concept, that's why the reboot is the only way to make Trek work in today's mainstream.
Not just the mainstream. I was a Trek fan from before TNG, and I'm burned out on spin-offs. I just want real Star Trek now -- Kirk, Spock, the Enterprise, and a good story. No Captain Benson Harding of the Federation Starship Pantheon, no Cadet Sel'ltza of Starfleet Academy's elite Red Squad, no Captain Elizabeth Walker of the 29th Century Federation Timeship Moon-phase.

I'm not a big fan of Abrams' Trek, but it's given me hope that the next reboot could be even better. And, if not, the next one after that could be good. But no more TV spinoffs. Team Berman beat that horse to death.
Old August 8 2013, 09:58 AM   #28
dan_bevan
Lieutenant

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
anh165 wrote: View Post
Not just the mainstream. I was a Trek fan from before TNG, and I'm burned out on spin-offs. I just want real Star Trek now -- Kirk, Spock, the Enterprise, and a good story. No Captain Benson Harding of the Federation Starship Pantheon, no Cadet Sel'ltza of Starfleet Academy's elite Red Squad, no Captain Elizabeth Walker of the 29th Century Federation Timeship Moon-phase.

I'm not a big fan of Abrams' Trek, but it's given me hope that the next reboot could be even better. And, if not, the next one after that could be good. But no more TV spinoffs. Team Berman beat that horse to death.
So everyone just wants to see TOS rebooted every 5-10 years...!?! That is lame!

The majority of Trek fans want to see Star Trek back on tv. That is where it belongs. It needs to be original and done right and created for a new generation but also appealing to the older generation of Trek fans. It needs to be far enough away from the older Trek so it's not just rehashing everything and going over things that have been done to death but it still needs to keep the same Trek vibe.
Old August 8 2013, 10:02 AM   #29
Belz...
Fleet Captain

I just want real Star Trek now -- Kirk, Spock, the Enterprise, and a good story. No Captain Benson Harding of the Federation Starship Pantheon, no Cadet Sel'ltza of Starfleet Academy's elite Red Squad, no Captain Elizabeth Walker of the 29th Century Federation Timeship Moon-phase.
So you don't want new stuff, then ? That's very unfortunate.
Old August 8 2013, 02:51 PM   #30
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Belz... wrote: View Post
I just want real Star Trek now -- Kirk, Spock, the Enterprise, and a good story. No Captain Benson Harding of the Federation Starship Pantheon, no Cadet Sel'ltza of Starfleet Academy's elite Red Squad, no Captain Elizabeth Walker of the 29th Century Federation Timeship Moon-phase.
So you don't want new stuff, then ? That's very unfortunate.
I'm with Hober Mallow on this one. Simply, I'm burnt out on the watered-down Trek that we got in the mid-90's. For all his flaws, something happened when Roddenberry passed away. It seemed like all the fun was sucked out of the franchise. Abrams brought back the fun and I hope that if a TV series is launched that they look to the Abrams films and TOS and remember fun is part of the equation.