RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,926
Posts: 5,478,734
Members: 25,054
Currently online: 512
Newest member: DRayTrekkie

TrekToday headlines

Trek Shirt And Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

A Klingon Christmas Carol’s Last Season
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

Attack Wing Wave 10 Expansion Pack
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 6 2013, 05:09 PM   #646
T J
Commodore
 
T J's Avatar
 
Location: milky way... there abouts
Re: What are you reading?

Coming to the end of The Draco Tavern by Larry Niven... I love Niven!
__________________
One of the great revelations of space exploration is
the image of the earth, finite and lonely bearing the entire human species through the oceans of space and time. ~ Carl Sagan (1934-1996)
T J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 10:41 PM   #647
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion
 
RJDiogenes's Avatar
 
Location: RJDiogenes of Boston
Re: What are you reading?

That's good stuff. I've read several of them in Analog or Asimov's or wherever they first appeared, but I need to read the complete collection.
__________________
Please stop by my Gallery and YouTube Page for a visit. And read Trunkards! And check out my Heroes essays.
RJDiogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 11:02 PM   #648
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral
 
Enterprise is Great's Avatar
 
Re: What are you reading?

Star Trek New Frontier Blind Man's Bluff
__________________
JJverse Star Trek...ROCKED on May 17, 2013 and beyond!
Enterprise is Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 04:07 AM   #649
Saga
Rear Admiral
 
Saga's Avatar
 
Location: VA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga
Re: What are you reading?

The Black Count by Tom Reiss
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 04:13 AM   #650
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: The Countryside
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: What are you reading?

The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan.
__________________
-----------------------
💗 Visit Brony Kingdom 💗
-----------------------
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 04:20 AM   #651
Shanndee
Commodore
 
Shanndee's Avatar
 
Location: Canada
Re: What are you reading?

A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin. I figured that it was about time to enter the "real" world depicted in the TV series. I am not disappointed!
__________________
"Nolite te bastardes carborundorum" Margaret Atwood

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 08:47 PM   #652
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist
 
Wereghost's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: What are you reading?

The War Of The Worlds by HG Wells (free on Kindle). About time I went to the source, I suppose.
__________________
Time is the boss of me.
Wereghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 11:39 PM   #653
BennieGamali
Lieutenant Commander
 
BennieGamali's Avatar
 
Location: Norway.
Re: What are you reading?

The Deed of Paksenarion by Elizabeth Moon.

If you like fantasy you should give this one a try. These were the books that got me into reading in the first place. It's about a woman who joins a mercenary army. It's got loads of cool stuff. Dwarves, axes, elves and bad people. Instead of the now popular intrigue, affair, drama, soapy fantasy.. this one actually is fantasy and focuses on life as a warrior.
__________________
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain." - Roy Batty
BennieGamali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 11:43 PM   #654
BennieGamali
Lieutenant Commander
 
BennieGamali's Avatar
 
Location: Norway.
Re: What are you reading?

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
I am currently reading the latest Karin Fossum book to be translated into English - I Can See in the Dark. I am four chapters in and it looks like her main character, Riktor, is going to equal some of her characters in previous books. Fossum is really good at creating disturbed and interesting characters.
A fellow Fossum fan! Oh I have to ask if you've read "When the devil holds the candle"? That's my favorite, it's horrible in the good way.
__________________
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain." - Roy Batty
BennieGamali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 02:26 AM   #655
T J
Commodore
 
T J's Avatar
 
Location: milky way... there abouts
Re: What are you reading?

BennieGamali wrote: View Post
The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon.
I LOVE this book! This and others in the series, super great stories!
__________________
One of the great revelations of space exploration is
the image of the earth, finite and lonely bearing the entire human species through the oceans of space and time. ~ Carl Sagan (1934-1996)
T J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 02:48 AM   #656
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude
 
Miss Chicken's Avatar
 
Location: Howrah, Hobart, Tasmania
Re: What are you reading?

BennieGamali wrote: View Post
Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
I am currently reading the latest Karin Fossum book to be translated into English - I Can See in the Dark. I am four chapters in and it looks like her main character, Riktor, is going to equal some of her characters in previous books. Fossum is really good at creating disturbed and interesting characters.
A fellow Fossum fan! Oh I have to ask if you've read "When the devil holds the candle"? That's my favorite, it's horrible in the good way.
I have read "When the Devil Holds the Candle and thought it was excellent but He Who Fears the Wolf is my favourite Fossum novel. I think that the character of Erkki Johrma is one of the best developed and most tragic characters I have ever come across. Inspector Sejer is my second favourite police inspector coming in behind Arnaldur Indridason's Inspector Erlendur.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 02:51 AM   #657
feek61
Captain
 
feek61's Avatar
 
Location: The Sunshine State
Re: What are you reading?

I am embarking on "These are the Voyages TOS Season One" by Marc Cushman. After about 100 pages I'm blown away. Never has the production of TOS been better documented. I am in heaven with this and the IS the book I've always wanted to read about TOS. It is an excellent read!!
__________________
feek61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 10:55 AM   #658
BennieGamali
Lieutenant Commander
 
BennieGamali's Avatar
 
Location: Norway.
Re: What are you reading?

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
I have read "When the Devil Holds the Candle and thought it was excellent but He Who Fears the Wolf is my favourite Fossum novel. I think that the character of Erkki Johrma is one of the best developed and most tragic characters I have ever come across. Inspector Sejer is my second favourite police inspector coming in behind Arnaldur Indridason's Inspector Erlendur.
Ah yes. Sejer is such a sweet man. And that one is also fantastic, as you say Erki is an amazing character.
There is a movie, which is quite good. The casting is great but Sejer isn't really Sejer.
__________________
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain." - Roy Batty
BennieGamali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 05:39 AM   #659
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral
 
Enterprise is Great's Avatar
 
Re: What are you reading?

Star Trek: TOS From History's Shadow
__________________
JJverse Star Trek...ROCKED on May 17, 2013 and beyond!
Enterprise is Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 08:30 AM   #660
Snowlilly
Lieutenant
 
Snowlilly's Avatar
 
Location: The Frozen North
Re: What are you reading?

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
BennieGamali wrote: View Post
Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
I am currently reading the latest Karin Fossum book to be translated into English - I Can See in the Dark. I am four chapters in and it looks like her main character, Riktor, is going to equal some of her characters in previous books. Fossum is really good at creating disturbed and interesting characters.
A fellow Fossum fan! Oh I have to ask if you've read "When the devil holds the candle"? That's my favorite, it's horrible in the good way.
I have read "When the Devil Holds the Candle and thought it was excellent but He Who Fears the Wolf is my favourite Fossum novel. I think that the character of Erkki Johrma is one of the best developed and most tragic characters I have ever come across. Inspector Sejer is my second favourite police inspector coming in behind Arnaldur Indridason's Inspector Erlendur.

Adding the author to my list of future reads
Snowlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
may the force be with you

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.