Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 7 2013, 04:44 AM   #136
Dream
Admiral

Re: The Lone Ranger

Disney expects to lose up to 190 million on "The Lone Ranger"
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 05:23 AM   #137
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Ancient Mariner wrote: View Post
It's in how the story world is introduced and integrated into the rest of the tale. When asked to identify his planet, Luke doesn't say, "Tatooine." He explains, "if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet it's farthest from." Not mind-blowing dialogue, but it situates Tatooine in the viewer's mind in a way that the dialogue from John Carter does not Zodanga is just a strange sounding name). Also, Star Wars used a lot of very familiar terms and concepts: Empire, Rebellion, Wizard, Smuggler, Stormtrooper and so on. Many of its constructs use familiar sounding terms Death Star, Star Destroyer, Millennium Falcon, Light Saber, Sand People. That makes Wookies, Jedi, Jawas, Banthas and so on easier to internalize. Its most esoteric line was, probably, "It made the Kessel Run in less than twelve Parsecs." Took me years to figure that one out.
Zodanga is the name of Helium's rival city in the book. All the characters are names from the books. They made a fine adaptation of the series. It was far more enjoyable than Nolan's Batman films. As to the Lone Ranger, I've no great love of Westerns to begin with, and Tonto's visual design looks silly.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 12:34 PM   #138
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Don't blame the reviews...blame the trailers.

All of this reminds me of a joke that Johnny Carson did about the last attempt at a big budget Lone Ranger film (quoted from memory): "My favorite part was when Tonto put his ear to the ground and said, 'Wait, kemosabe...I hear 8, maybe 9 people coming to see this film.'"
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 01:15 PM   #139
Gov Kodos
Admiral

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Don't blame the reviews...blame the trailers.

All of this reminds me of a joke that Johnny Carson did about the last attempt at a big budget Lone Ranger film (quoted from memory): "My favorite part was when Tonto put his ear to the ground and said, 'Wait, kemosabe...I hear 8, maybe 9 people coming to see this film.'"
I remember them trying to unmask Clayton Moore. Just for that I didn't want to see that LR movie.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 01:36 PM   #140
MacLeod
Admiral

I saw that news report on the Beeb's news pages as well. All I can say is Ouch thats a hefty loss. Though with BR/DVD sales and TV rights they might just break even.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 02:37 PM   #141
Gojira
Commodore

The 1981 movie Legend of the Lone Ranger was a flop now 32 years later the next Lone Ranger movie was a flop. I am sure Hollywood will not be racing to put another Lone Ranger movie into the theaters for a long lone time.

Last edited by Gojira; August 7 2013 at 04:21 PM.
Gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 03:40 PM   #142
Gaith
Rear Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
All I can say is Ouch thats a hefty loss. Though with BR/DVD sales and TV rights they might just break even.
Disney's overall film wing will turn a profit this year thanks to Marvel and Pixar, but there's no way Ranger's going to pay for itself. Let's just hope this motivates the suits to ensure Pirates 5 shoots from a better script.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 07:12 PM   #143
MacLeod
Admiral

Gojira wrote: View Post
The 1981 movie Legend of the Lone Ranger was a flop now 32 years later the next Lone Ranger movie was a flop. I am sure Hollywood will not be racing to put another Lone Ranger movie into the theaters for a long lone time.
So maybe 2045 then.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old August 7 2013, 09:24 PM   #144
Gojira
Commodore

MacLeod wrote: View Post
So maybe 2045 then.
I will be 82 then God willing...maybe they can push me down to the day room in my wheel chair to watch the dvd.
Old August 8 2013, 02:35 AM   #145
Dream
Admiral

'Lone Ranger' Flop Fallout: "Pirates 5" budget being reduced and Bruckheimer May Lose Final Cut
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 04:36 PM   #146
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I have only seen the Behind the Scenes, and boy is that over the top. It seems to me that they are senselessly burning money. If you thought Cameron's Titanic was over the top, this one beats it definitely.

I find it also ironic how they all brag about how they build real sets and went to real locations and stuff, and while they talk about it, they show all the over the top CGI laden scenes. They build a train with complete with 6km railroad tracks, but the final scene looks still incredibly fake, because they had to digitally enhance the background (more train wagons, "enhancements" to the western background) etc...
Then they show Johnny Depp doing a stunt on the actual train set, and then they show the scene from the film were it looks artificial and fake. So they wasted all the money for doing something for real, but the end product looks like something they could have done for cheaper in a studio anyways.

That's my reason why I don't watch these kind of films anymore.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 04:51 PM   #147
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I know nothing about The Lone Ranger and I enjoyed the movie. The action scenes were great and Depp was very funny as Tonto.

My one glaring complaint; there was absolutely no reason whatsoever for the framing story. Cut that out and the movie would have been 15 minutes shorter. I also agree with reviews that said cutting out Helena Bonham Carter would have changed nothing to the movie and made it another 15 minutes shorter.
I saw the film last week and I completely agree. It was basically a live action cartoon and I loved it for that. Very silly and very entertaining.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 05:04 PM   #148
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Maybe Quentin Tanantino can take a stab at it.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 07:22 PM   #149
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Maybe Quentin Tanantino can take a stab at it.
^^^
"Kill Indians Vol. 1"??
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 08:37 PM   #150
MacLeod
Admiral

Can the International Box Offoce save it?