Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 6 2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Chuck Finley
Commander

Breaking Bad Final Half Season

I'm surprised there's not a Breaking Bad thread yet. We are five days away from the final half season. As much as I don't like these half seasons, it's nice to stretch it out a little bit. I can't imagine this ending well for Mr. White. I feel like Jesse may walk away, but not unharmed. I see Skylar taking the kids and disappearing and Hank, who knows. Anyone else looking forward to this final escapade into the world of meth?
Chuck Finley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 09:09 PM   #2
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Re: Breaking Bad Final Half Season

We know it doesn't end well because of the way the 5th season started with Walt in a car full of guns. Then the rest of the 8 episodes dealt before that.
Old August 6 2013, 09:42 PM   #3
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah somehow I get the feeling Hank and Jesse won't make it out of the season alive-- just because there's obviously going to be a body count in this thing, and killing off Skyler and his family seems a little too obvious and cliched a move for this show.

Whatever they come up with though, I'm sure it'll be as gripping as ever.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 12:37 AM   #4
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Had you asked me during season four, I'd have said that Walt would end up in terrible shape. Now I'm not so sure. If the end message of this show is just "crime doesn't pay" then it'd be a letdown. I don't think that's the way they're going to go.
Old August 7 2013, 12:53 AM   #5
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Bullets spraying everywhere, the end is near, Butch and Sundance moment, Walt and Jessie holding hands like preeschoolers run into a hail of nothing... "Never mind, they just legalized Meth. Everybody pack up!"

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 01:02 AM   #6
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Obviously it's not going to be a happy ending. I don't think there's going to be a huge main cast body count but obviously the main cast won't get through unscathed either. But somehow I see Jesse as possibly getting out with a decent life, more likely than the Whites and Schraders. I know they were going to kill him in season one if it weren't for the writer's strike, but at this point it just seems like his arc.

Secondary characters, though. Lydia, Todd, zero percent survival chance.

I think the season is going to focus around Hank trying to protect his family from the fallout of Walter's crimes. His first impulse will be to want to come after him, then his next impulse would be to make Walter go away without destroying Walter Jr's life.

My estimation of survival percentages for the main cast:
Walter 40%
Hank 60%
Jesse 70%
Skylar 75%
Holly 95%
Walter Jr 99%
Marie 99%
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 01:58 AM   #7
CaptainCanada
Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post
If the end message of this show is just "crime doesn't pay" then it'd be a letdown.
That pretty much is the message, I think. Breaking Bad is a morality play about how it's impossible to be "a little bit evil", or to use evil means for good ends. In that sense, it's pretty much a deconstruction of the TV antihero drama, which trades pretty heavily on those ideas.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 02:39 AM   #8
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
That pretty much is the message, I think. Breaking Bad is a morality play about how it's impossible to be "a little bit evil"
I really wouldn't like that. Especially as I view everybody as "a little bit evil". I don't think any sort of socially aware drama should view things in such absolutist terms.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 02:56 AM   #9
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
If the end message of this show is just "crime doesn't pay" then it'd be a letdown.
That pretty much is the message, I think. Breaking Bad is a morality play about how it's impossible to be "a little bit evil", or to use evil means for good ends. In that sense, it's pretty much a deconstruction of the TV antihero drama, which trades pretty heavily on those ideas.
That's a different message than crime doesn't pay, though. You're talking about examining Walt's heart and how much he allowed it to be corrupted and how much circumstances forced him to be corrupted. But the idea that Walter chose to cook meth so he's therefore evil isn't nearly as interesting.
Old August 7 2013, 06:08 AM   #10
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I'm really looking forward to this. I considered waiting until the season was over so I could watch all the episodes at once, but I don't know if I can hold out or if I want to sit out the discussion. We'll see.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 07:09 AM   #11
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I hope Jesse doesn't die, but I wouldn't put it past Vince Gilligan to kill him off at the eleventh hour precisely because he's the heart and conscience of the show and people seem so attached to the character. Personally, I think Walt should go to prison with a life without possibility for parole sentence...and then find out he's in complete remission and will probably live to be 100. That'd serve him right.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 07:14 AM   #12
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
We know it doesn't end well because of the way the 5th season started with Walt in a car full of guns. Then the rest of the 8 episodes dealt before that.
Because of that scene, the only thing I feel comfortable predicting is that Walt will pull the trigger on that "vanishing act" new identity service that Saul offered him in season 3. In addition to the guns, he's changed his appearance, is in a totally different part of the country, and has fake ID with a different name. Somehow, he's going to figure out that Hank has found him out and he'll get the hell out of Dodge before he can be taken in.
Old August 7 2013, 12:51 PM   #13
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

If the end message of this show is just "crime doesn't pay" then it'd be a letdown. I don't think that's the way they're going to go.
I don't think the message is that crime doesn't pay, but that ego doesn't pay. Walt has had several opportunities to walk away with a healthy profit, but his ego kept bringing him back even as the stakes and the body-count kept getting higher.
Old August 7 2013, 02:30 PM   #14
Agent Richard07
Admiral

And funnily enough, he did walk away only to get done in by a book that was found in his bathroom. I can't wait to see how Hank handles all of this. That's something I've been waiting for since the show began.

Maybe I will stick around and watch the episodes live. Discussion seems to be in high gear and I forgot about Talking Bad, the half-hour show that will air at 11pm. They really should have put it on right after Breaking Bad.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 10:55 PM   #15
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah I forgot about that. The last episode jumped forward a little bit to show life returning to normal, and Walter just being a regular guy again.

It'll be interesting to see if he has to resume cooking again for some reason, or if Hank will have to rely solely on piecing together evidence from the past. In which case you wonder how many other clues Walt missed or forgot to cover up...
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote