New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 6 2013, 09:09 PM   #91
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Finding goofs in your tv shows...

Indeed, the concern is that jury members may expect a slam dunk in terms of forensic evidence, as seen on TV.

True story: there was one rather naive panelist on our jury who actually argued that the fact that defendant had a criminal record proved that he was innocent--because, having already been convicted of the same crime, why in heaven's name would he make that mistake again?

I patiently explained to her the concepts of career criminals, recidivism, and self-destructive behavior patterns . . ..

Last edited by Greg Cox; August 7 2013 at 03:59 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 11:58 PM   #92
MacLeod
Admiral

Or maybe he thought that this time he wouldn't be caught. Because he learned what he did wrong last time and tried not to make those some errors again.

Or perhaps the defendent was just dumb.

Foresenics is just one piece of evidence, that could prove a person was at a location, it's the other evidence that proves not only were they there but they commited the crime.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 01:07 AM   #93
propita
Rear Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Or maybe he thought that this time he wouldn't be caught. Because he learned what he did wrong last time and tried not to make those some errors again.

Or perhaps the defendent was just dumb.

Foresenics is just one piece of evidence, that could prove a person was at a location, it's the other evidence that proves not only were they there but they commited the crime.

I had a classmate who worked in the public defender's office. She confirmed this was the number one cause of criminals committing crimes and being caught. Seriously, they were idiots. When asked simple questions, like why did you do "x"? "seemed like a good idea." "Why?" "I don't know, it just did." They weren't just avoiding answering, they really didn't think about it, themselves, their actions, others, etc.

When you don't think about anything but "eh, why not?", you don't really deserve much consideration. IMO.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 03:55 AM   #94
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

They should have gone with, "It was step one in my plan to rule the WORLD!!!!! Bwhahahahaha!"
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 08:18 AM   #95
MacLeod
Admiral

Ah the old insanity defense.

Besides as every would be world leader knows, the secret is to rule from behind the scenes.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 08:26 AM   #96
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

Here's one in the Wonder Years, the show take place from 1968 to 1973. Season 4 (1971-1972) had an episode titled "The Accident", there was a song played by Bob Seger- We've Got Tonight, that song was not released until 1978.

Really don't care the song fits.
Old August 10 2013, 02:45 PM   #97
Forbin
Admiral

Yeah, but, OMG, that scene just rips your heart open.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 07:15 PM   #98
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

If I was on a jury I think I'd have trouble avoiding applying my own logic if it was obvious to me the defendant didn't have a good lawyer.

I'm probably too strongly opinionated about the fact of disproportionately qualified representation between the rich and the poor to ever get selected for a jury. And every time they tried to paint a picture of the character of the defendant I'd resist it as slick manipulation.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 08:02 PM   #99
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
If I was on a jury I think I'd have trouble avoiding applying my own logic if it was obvious to me the defendant didn't have a good lawyer..
During the trial in question, I tried very hard not to hold the defendant's painfully ill-prepared public defender against him . . . but it wasn't easy.

Even still, I didn't think we could consider arguments and defenses (like "mistaken identity") that hadn't been aired in court. Our job was to examine the arguments and testimony placed before us, not to try to do the public defender's job for him.

Getting back to goofs, I still remember the M*A*S*H episode where Radar was shown reading an AVENGERS comic book--despite the fact that THE AVENGERS debuted some ten years after the Korean War!

Last edited by Greg Cox; August 10 2013 at 09:15 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 11:29 PM   #100
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Getting back to goofs, I still remember the M*A*S*H episode where Radar was shown reading an AVENGERS comic book--despite the fact that THE AVENGERS debuted some ten years after the Korean War!
That wasn't a goof. You just need to post it in the alternate history tv show thread.
Old August 14 2013, 04:32 AM   #101
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
That wasn't a goof. You just need to post it in the alternate history tv show thread.
In M*A*S*H world, the war lasted a decade!!!
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 01:36 PM   #102
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Aw, that's nothing. Remember that one time Tintin was showed a copy of Destination Moon... in Cigars of the Pharaoh, before even meeting Haddock and Calculus?!
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 01:51 PM   #103
Forbin
Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
In M*A*S*H world, the war lasted a decade!!!
Which reminds me - There was a MASH ep where Hawkeye joked about mailing a B-52 home a part at a time. While the B-52 was in development during the Korean War, it wasn't fielded until 1955, and certainly wasn't used in Korea.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 04:38 AM   #104
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

watching the first season of CSI:NY and a woman puts together an AR-15, finishes up, has the fire control group mising
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 05:35 AM   #105
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
Which reminds me - There was a MASH ep where Hawkeye joked about mailing a B-52 home a part at a time. While the B-52 was in development during the Korean War, it wasn't fielded until 1955, and certainly wasn't used in Korea.
Oh, that one's easy. Hawkeye figured he'd be there long enough for the B-52 to come out!
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote