Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old August 6 2013, 09:10 AM   #31
Starkers
Admiral

Re: As for the Master

It's the beard isn't it

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 09:12 AM   #32
ITL
Vice Admiral

Yes. And the evil.

Old August 6 2013, 09:43 AM   #33
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

If Capaldi uses his own accent, and I think he will, I could see the BBC getting a bit poncey about The Master having another non-English accent (or 'regional accent', in that horrible expression). But if they're not, I think James Nesbitt would play well opposite him. And Jekyll showed that he makes a great Moffatt-penned bad guy.

He and Capaldi once appeared together in a BBC drama called Passer-By. Nesbitt was a witness to a crime and Capaldi was the barrister cross-examining him, a fairly small role. IIRC, they did seem to have quite a good dynamic together in that short exchange.
Old August 6 2013, 12:24 PM   #34
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Starkers wrote: View Post
Much as I wanted Alex Siddig to play the Doctor, I think he'd make a great Master too, although casting a black/asian actor or a woman would provoke cries of "Oh not good enough to be the Doctor but they can be the bad guy" although personally I think it would be a good intro into the 13th Doctor maybe being of ethnic origin.
True, but I would like to see it. Plus, he has the beard for it.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 12:36 PM   #35
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Newspaper Taxi wrote: View Post
If we get a female Master then I'd want a male Rani to balance things out. : P
That would confuse many newer fans, and even old ones alike. Why not just bring back a female Rani if we need a female rogue timelord? I think that was the whole reason she was even created.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 01:40 PM   #36
Mad Jack Wolfe
Lieutenant Commander

I'd dearly love to see Alan Rickman as the Master.
Old August 6 2013, 03:47 PM   #37
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Mad Jack Wolfe wrote: View Post
I'd dearly love to see Alan Rickman as the Master.
Yes, absolutely, he's been my favorite fantasy Master for years.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 05:00 PM   #38
propita
Rear Admiral

YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post
The Master?
- Brad Dourif
- Benedict Cumberbatch
- Natalie Dormer
- Christoph Waltz
- Lara Pulver
- Zoe Saldana
I really like the idea of Dourif or Waltz. Both are great in whatever they do.

Slightly OT, is there any kind of role for Brian Blessed? Obviously, not a small role, because I don't think he's one for small roles. But a one-shot?
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 05:08 PM   #39
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

propita wrote: View Post
YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post
The Master?
- Brad Dourif
- Benedict Cumberbatch
- Natalie Dormer
- Christoph Waltz
- Lara Pulver
- Zoe Saldana
I really like the idea of Dourif or Waltz. Both are great in whatever they do.

Slightly OT, is there any kind of role for Brian Blessed? Obviously, not a small role, because I don't think he's one for small roles. But a one-shot?
Maybe Donna's Marriage didn't work out, and we could bring Brian Blessed in to play a Warlord and become a great husband to Donna...Oh wait....we've done that already (On Classic Who and on Blake's 7)

I'm always up for Brian Blessed Guest Starring Roles

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 08:55 PM   #40
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Seriously, no love for Gary Oldman?
Old August 6 2013, 09:01 PM   #41
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ it's not that there's no love for that idea, it's just that its not very likely. It's probably a quarter of a century since he last did UK TV. I think his last US TV appearance was in Friends, which always attracted big stars.

I think for the most part, people are thinking about who is likely to appear as well as who they'd like to see. Of course Oldman would be a great Master - probably a great Doctor too - but I'd say there's virtually no chance of him doing it.
Old August 6 2013, 09:24 PM   #42
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ it's not that there's no love for that idea, it's just that its not very likely. It's probably a quarter of a century since he last did UK TV. I think his last US TV appearance was in Friends, which always attracted big stars.

I think for the most part, people are thinking about who is likely to appear as well as who they'd like to see. Of course Oldman would be a great Master - probably a great Doctor too - but I'd say there's virtually no chance of him doing it.
I agree it's unlikely. But these days, Who has gained serious attention, and can attract big actors for limited engagements. They got Derek Jacobi, who admittedly isn't as big as Oldman, but he's still big. Known internationally, and has essentially "moved beyond television." Not to mention Ian McKellen or John-flipping-Hurt. So Oldman is unlikely, yes, but not out of the range of possibility.

Anyhow, who I'd cast as the Master would depend very much on how Capaldi plays the Doctor. However you see the Master vs. the Doctor -- "Mirror image," "dark reflection" or "similar traits turned up to eleven" -- it depends very much on the Doctor's performance and we really have no idea how Capaldi is going to play him, except that it certainly won't be either exactly like Matt Smith or Malcom-Tucker-in-the-TARDIS.

If he's a calmer, more reserved Doctor along the lines of Pertwee or Eccleston, I'd rather see a demonstrative, aggressive and flamboyant Master. Someone like (but not) Eddie Izzard maybe. If Capaldi is more a "young heart in an old man's body," then go with, I dunno, Robert Lindsay.

For me, Cumberbatch only would have worked as the Master against Smith, and I'm very sorry we never got to see that happen. Cumberbatch playing a very reserved, stoic, contemplative villain with the occasional flash of insane, dark rage would have been a perfect counterpoint to Smith's loveable, affable frenetic awkwardness.
Old August 6 2013, 09:44 PM   #43
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ I agree with you re Smith/Cumberbatch and I think the other suggestions you make are very good indeed.
Old August 6 2013, 09:49 PM   #44
Starkers
Admiral

See I think Cumberbatch would have been way too similar to Smith. I actually think someone like Capaldi would have made a good Master for Smith, as Moffat says Smith is an old man in a young man's body whilst Capaldi will be a young man in an old man's body, and that's the dynamic Id have like to have seen....

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 09:52 PM   #45
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I think after Star Trek ID, its probably going to need to be a while before Cumberbatch plays an iconic sci-fi villain anyway. I liked his performance but there's going to be a risk of over-exposure as the sci-fi villain du jour.