RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,699
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 708
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old August 6 2013, 10:04 AM   #511
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Re: TOS Enterprise Interiors -- Unreal 3 Engine

I don't know how you manage to do all that, Donny.

You, sir, are a master.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 01:19 AM   #512
CuttingEdge100
Commodore

That's a video game? How do the people come out?
Old August 14 2013, 12:55 PM   #513
drt
Lieutenant Commander

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Put next to the advanced and timeless phaser II design, it looks like a relict from another time and era, IMHO (and might have been the reason from the producers' point of view not to reuse it in the regular series).

Bob
I always felt it was more that the phaser II was supposed to be so powerful, one didn't really need a "rifle" version.

The production, however, probably didn't reuse the rifle because they didn't own the design and would have to pay royalties for a reuse (if they were allowed to even reuse it at all).
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 02:16 PM   #514
blssdwlf
Commodore

drt wrote: View Post
I always felt it was more that the phaser II was supposed to be so powerful, one didn't really need a "rifle" version.
A TOS-ified Phaser 3 rifle with the same design as the Phaser 2 would make sense when they didn't want to haul down a ship's laser cannon onto the surface ala "The Cage". The older Phaser rifle from "WNMHGB" seemed just as capable in taking off the top of a small rocky mountain
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 02:41 PM   #515
Redfern
Commodore

Especially when it appears they recycled the animated "beam" and "sparks" from "The Cage".

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 04:15 PM   #516
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Exactly The reason I linked the images was to suggest that the golden, cylindrical core component of the pilot phasers can be easily spotted in the phaser rifle, only much longer and times three.

It almost seems phaser I is the analogy to the pilot phaser, while phaser II could be the analogy to the phaser rifle.

The production, however, probably didn't reuse the rifle because they didn't own the design and would have to pay royalties for a reuse (if they were allowed to even reuse it at all).
Apparently Gene Roddenberry stated something along the lines he didn't want rifles in the regular series, IIRC because of allusions to westerns (hmm..."Wagon Train to the Stars"? ).

Now either he changed his mind after "Where No Man Has Gone Before" or it was the excuse not to pay royalties.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 05:05 PM   #517
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Eh...I just chalk it up to one more of Roddenberry's myriad self-contradictions.
Old August 15 2013, 09:42 PM   #518
Donny
Commander

I have to admit, I'm getting pretty tired of sickbay. Gonna try to finish it soon so I can move on to more exciting areas, like Engineering.

Here's some shots of the pressure chamber in the medical laboratory. I still have a few details to flesh out (wall plant-ons and such), but you get the idea.

http://rigel7studios.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Donny; August 15 2013 at 09:58 PM.
Donny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 03:12 PM   #519
me999
Ensign

Hi Donny,

I have been following your progress with your builds - the TOS enterprise interiors and enterprise e as well as your previous work on the enterprise d using the quake engine. I really like your attention to detail and your renders are the most realistic I have seen.

I have been experimenting with the oculus rift and would love to walk around your models using the rift. There is already built-in support in UDK.

Any chance you could put compile a demo with oculus support or provide source so I can compile one?
me999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 04:37 PM   #520
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Donny wrote: View Post
I have to admit, I'm getting pretty tired of sickbay. Gonna try to finish it soon so I can move on to more exciting areas, like Engineering.
Based on my experience in the TOS Enterprise deck plan thread, I dare to say I think I know exactly how you're feeling. Seriously, who wants to spend more time than necessary in sickbay when you're healthy and can explore other areas of the ship instead...unless you're an M.D. and not an engineer (okay, in "The Lights of Zetar" it's somewht vague with Scotty suddenly developing an interest in female "life sciences" and his delta insignia changing accordingly).

Here's some shots of the pressure chamber in the medical laboratory. I still have a few details to flesh out (wall plant-ons and such), but you get the idea.
Looks great. Now, it becomes even clearer that the chamber door rested on rails and slided horizontally. A great eye-opener considering it wasn't that obvious in the episode/s.

I'm also looking forward to your reproduction of the engine room, but do you plan to still feature the horizontal viewing glass on the chamber and the console operated by Spock?
(no reply necessary if these show up in one of the next posts ).

Bob
Old August 16 2013, 07:00 PM   #521
Donny
Commander

me999 wrote:
Hi Donny,

I have been following your progress with your builds - the TOS enterprise interiors and enterprise e as well as your previous work on the enterprise d using the quake engine. I really like your attention to detail and your renders are the most realistic I have seen.

I have been experimenting with the oculus rift and would love to walk around your models using the rift. There is already built-in support in UDK.

Any chance you could put compile a demo with oculus support or provide source so I can compile one?
I'll have to do some more research, but when it comes time for demos and such, you'll can be sure I'll try to add Oculus Rift support for you. Stay tuned...

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
...but do you plan to still feature the horizontal viewing glass on the chamber and the console operated by Spock?
(no reply necessary if these show up in one of the next posts ).

Bob
Both. I'm actually building the console today. Does anyone know if this console appeared in any other episodes than the instances below?

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x...etarhd1403.jpg

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x...iveshd0590.jpg

I swear I've seen it somewhere else (perhaps not on the Enterprise)..any ideas?

Old August 17 2013, 12:13 PM   #522
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Isn't that the same kind of keyboard piece from Gary Seven's computer console in "Assignment: Earth"?

Can't recall another console at the moment, maybe the Yonada control panel in "For the World Is Hollow..."?

Bob
Old August 17 2013, 01:59 PM   #523
Mario de Monti
Commander

Both. I'm actually building the console today. Does anyone know if this console appeared in any other episodes than the instances below?

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x...etarhd1403.jpg

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x...iveshd0590.jpg

I had a hunch and it proved to be correct: "Spock´s Brain", but with a few alterations. Here it´s part of the computer room, where Spock´s brain is being held:

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x...rainhd1099.jpg

Mario

Last edited by Mario de Monti; August 17 2013 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Added more info
Mario de Monti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 04:28 PM   #524
Donny
Commander

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
I had a hunch and it proved to be correct: "Spock´s Brain", but with a few alterations. Here it´s part of the computer room, where Spock´s brain is being held:

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x...rainhd1099.jpg

Mario
Thanks! That was exactly what I was looking for.

Old August 21 2013, 03:20 PM   #525
Mario de Monti
Commander

Happy to help

And I´m very much looking forward to more of your amazing work here.