Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old August 5 2013, 07:19 PM   #31
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Re: Now that we know the new Doctor...what´s going to change?

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
I really hope he's like Eccleston's Doctor. Maybe even a little darker.
I don't understand this? Smith was far darker than Tennant or Eccelston. Col. Runaway, no second chances, took great glee in not rescuing Mr. Filch in DoaS. When did Eccelston or Tennant do anything like?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 07:25 PM   #32
Newspaper Taxi
Captain

I like how all the fuss about how 'old' the new Doctor is, when he still could easily pass for early 40's -- a decade and a half younger than he is -- with the right hair and make-up. It's sort of the Hollywood effect of how celebrities always look way younger than they really are. I don't know if the change will be quite as dramatic as everyone thinks. Heck, one of the female companions could be into more 'mature' men. : P

One of the changes might be that the people that Doctor first interacts with will treat him with more respect and authority than they would 11, who physically looks like he's a grad student as opposed to a full fledged doctor.
Old August 5 2013, 07:30 PM   #33
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I don't understand this? Smith was far darker than Tennant or Eccelston. Col. Runaway, no second chances, took great glee in not rescuing Mr. Filch in DoaS. When did Eccelston or Tennant do anything like?
Smith was one of the lightest in a long time. Probably the lightest in the revived series.

Eccleston had a darker nature to him. Matt Smith was bubbly, jumpy, cheerful although could sometimes be a little negative. Eccleston was scarred from the time war, could be aggressive, and I just got the dark vibe from him. And I liked it.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 07:35 PM   #34
RoJoHen
Awesome

Mitty wrote: View Post
Even though it's a big symbol of the show, and even though I love it to death, I actually hope they get rid of the sonic screwdriver. I'm kind of over it.
That will be the story arc of the new season.

The Doctor loses his sonic screwdriver in the first episode, which turns him into a dark, moody, angry man. He spends the rest of the season tearing apart space and time in order to get it back.
Old August 5 2013, 07:37 PM   #35
RoJoHen
Awesome

Smith was one of the lightest in a long time. Probably the lightest in the revived series.

Eccleston had a darker nature to him. Matt Smith was bubbly, jumpy, cheerful although could sometimes be a little negative. Eccleston was scarred from the time war, could be aggressive, and I just got the dark vibe from him. And I liked it.
Matt Smith is the only actor who has made me truly scared of the Doctor and what he can do. Yeah, he's happy and quirky a lot of the time, but I would NEVER want to cross him.
Old August 5 2013, 07:49 PM   #36
RevdKathy
I WILL have this wedding PERFECT!

View RevdKathy's Twitter Profile

Hmm, let's see:

Letting Cassandra overstretch with the statement "Everything dies in its time" in 'The End of the World'.

Allowing the Gelth access to human corpses in 'The Unquiet Dead' was pretty dark. So was knowingly letting Gwyneth sacrifice herself to close the rift.

The whole point of 'Father's Day' was about the need to let die that which should die.

The Doctor was quite happy to transport 'Margaret' back to Raxicorico Fallipatorius to be executed. She tries to play to his better nature that he's executing her personally, and he's happy with that. It was the TARDIS that had other ideas.

And on regeneration... "No Second Chances. I'm that sort of man."

I'd say that was a pretty dark approach to being the Doctor.
Old August 5 2013, 07:51 PM   #37
davejames
Vice Admiral

Agreed. Smith had some dark moments, but his general demeanor was generally much more light and playful.

Eccleston seemed to me to be the opposite. He could be light and playful at times, but was generally a pretty dark and serious guy.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 07:57 PM   #38
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I think Capaldi's Doctor won't be bouncing all over the place like Smith's was, but I also think he won't be overly serious or dark, he won't be a brooding Doctor--rather, he'll be a very confident and self-assured Doctor (even when he's majorly wrong about something).

I also don't think the Twelfth Doctor will be someone you take too lightly, because he'll rip the baddies a new one if they push him too far.

I also expect him to be slightly less physical than his most recent incarnations--rather than a lot of running around here and there, he'll have Clara do that. But I also wouldn't be surprised if the Twelfth Doctor has something akin to the Vulcan neck pinch (if not old-fashioned Venusian aikido) to incapacitate someone itching to fight him.

Other changes I'd expect:
  • No bow tie (they are no longer cool with the Twelfth Doctor).
  • A costume that's more contemporary than the Eleventh's current, but not as casual as the Ninth's.
  • A new, but more modest sonic screwdriver (and less of a reliance on it). The Twelfth Doctor could have new tools in addition to the sonic.
  • Brighter, more warm lighting for the TARDIS control room (but it otherwise stays the same as far as the overall design).
  • New opening sequence and logo (or an extensive modification of the current one).
Old August 5 2013, 08:06 PM   #39
RoJoHen
Awesome

davejames wrote: View Post
Agreed. Smith had some dark moments, but his general demeanor was generally much more light and playful.

Eccleston seemed to me to be the opposite. He could be light and playful at times, but was generally a pretty dark and serious guy.
Well, honestly, I'd call that character development. Eccleston's Doctor was fresh out of the Time War, battle-hardened and angry. Smith has had a lot more time to get over those events, so it makes sense for his demeanor to be a little lighter. What I think Smith did so well was remind you, when he needed to, that even though he's mostly healed from his experiences, the Doctor is still capable of doing bad things.
Old August 5 2013, 08:13 PM   #40
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Just because he looks a bit harsh doesn't mean he'll be harsh. I talked to a friend about this last night and what I said was "He'll be great! Imagine the Ninth Doctor mixed with Dumbledore..." and then I thought, yeah that sounds interesting.

Since he IS older, I imagine that he will give orders to Clara or really treat her like a junior. She won't like that. And this is something I want to see.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 08:18 PM   #41
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

But again, Smith was darker, even if he was also more bubbly. Eccelston didn't do anything as dark Smith. He was just more low key and reserved and serious all the time. You're confusing Darkness with a lack of bubbliness.

The guy who walks around with a guilt trip and isn't bubbly happy is less dark then the guy who bounces around like Tigger, but, is a Serial Killer. (Not saying Smith's Doctor is a Serial killer, just saying the Bubbliness doesn't take away the more dark actions)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 08:54 PM   #42
MickJo1701
Commander

I totally agree "You gave me hope and then you took it away. That's enough to make anyone dangerous. God knows what it will do to me." words of a man who has a side of himself that he cannot control.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 08:55 PM   #43
RoJoHen
Awesome

MickJo1701 wrote: View Post
I totally agree "You gave me hope and then you took it away. That's enough to make anyone dangerous. God knows what it will do to me." words of a man who has a side of himself that he cannot control.
"Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many."

I think that sums up his character perfectly.
Old August 5 2013, 09:26 PM   #44
davejames
Vice Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Other changes I'd expect:
  • No bow tie (they are no longer cool with the Twelfth Doctor).
  • A costume that's more contemporary than the Eleventh's current, but not as casual as the Ninth's.
  • A new, but more modest sonic screwdriver (and less of a reliance on it). The Twelfth Doctor could have new tools in addition to the sonic.
  • Brighter, more warm lighting for the TARDIS control room (but it otherwise stays the same as far as the overall design).
  • New opening sequence and logo (or an extensive modification of the current one).
Yeah I expect a more contemporary and dignified look as well. Smith already pushed the "geeky professor" thing about as far as it can go, and I can't really imagine Cipaldi with the rumpled Troughton/Tom Baker/McCoy look.

And I'd be very surprised if they didn't keep the same basic control room, given that they just built the thing.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 09:27 PM   #45
RoJoHen
Awesome

He should dress like a young Hipster to overcompensate for the fact that he looks older.