USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 5 2013, 02:25 AM   #31
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Re: Avatar 2, 3, and 4

That would be the next planet.
Old August 5 2013, 04:34 AM   #32
Llama
Captain

Cyrus wrote: View Post
Llama wrote: View Post
Nah.

Avatar 2: big evil mining company returns to pandora and bombs the shit out of the planet from orbit getting rid of the pesky natives. Wholesale mining of the planet begins

Avatar 4: mining continues until no more unobtainium left, move onto the next planet
So, no chance for Avatar 5?
Rinse and repeat Avatar 3 and 4. The never ending saga
Old August 5 2013, 12:39 PM   #33
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

The Gaia and Eya stuff that Locutus speculated about sounds a bit like Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. I also expect that rescuing a dying Gaia will be JC's overall theme. I'm also wondering if it will turn out that life on Pandora and Earth was seeded from elsewhere -- the field line-like structures on Pandora struck me as possibly being being artificial in origin.
Old August 5 2013, 01:51 PM   #34
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
the field line-like structures on Pandora struck me as possibly being being artificial in origin.
Those were formed by the magnetic field that also made the mountains hover.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 02:19 PM   #35
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Yeah probably.
Old August 5 2013, 04:26 PM   #36
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
So Cameron is going to make us watch these till we are blue in the face.

Congratulations; you earned that one.

Some interesting ideas there, Locutus. I wonder if Jake's human body is being preserved in some kind of bio-stasis in case it's ever needed again...
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 04:47 PM   #37
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
So Cameron is going to make us watch these till we are blue in the face.

Congratulations; you earned that one.

Some interesting ideas there, Locutus. I wonder if Jake's human body is being preserved in some kind of bio-stasis in case it's ever needed again...
Speaking of which, doesn't that kinda put a dampener on him getting Neytiri pregnant?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 01:49 AM   #38
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
The Gaia and Eya stuff that Locutus speculated about sounds a bit like Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. I also expect that rescuing a dying Gaia will be JC's overall theme. I'm also wondering if it will turn out that life on Pandora and Earth was seeded from elsewhere -- the field line-like structures on Pandora struck me as possibly being being artificial in origin.
When I was thinking of ideas for things they'll never do, I was gonna suggest that Cameron should go really meta and have the translucent bioluminescent aliens who manipulate their environment from The Abyss be the creators of both the world minds on Earth and Pandora and the crafters of some of the more extraordinary things on Pandora, like the magnetic fields which levitate mountains and so forth.

They were originally checking up on Earth's progress in the late 1980s, but decided to leave us to our own devices after the reveal of their presence nearly caused a nuclear war. Unfortunately, this caused the destruction or hibernation of Gaia, which was already in a state of decline due to industrialization. In turn, it was this reveal which caused the humans to develop interstellar spacecraft in the first place, though it took more than a century to perfect.

While it's just in the broadstrokes, there's some commonality between the Abyss aliens and some lifeforms on Pandora or the world itself. The translucence, the bioluminescence, the physics defying control of the environment, the lack of mouths indicating telepathy as a form of communication, etc. Pandora was just a more extreme case of environmental manipulation than Earth was. And since Cameron said the next film would likely explore the oceans of Pandora, I figured it would be a perfect opportunity to show them down there observing their other experimental planet.

Of course, it'll never happen, but it's fun to think about.

Yeah, it's all wrapped up in those glowing white cyberpunk roots of Grandmother Willow, so who knows whether that turns you into compost or if there's some huge body farm group mind that preserves you underneath the tree much like the Matrix towers?

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Speaking of which, doesn't that kinda put a dampener on him getting Neytiri pregnant?
She was already pregnant in the unscreened epilogue for the first movie while Jake was still a Blue Meanie. It's unfinished and only done in rough CGI, so it's up to you in the audience if you want to count it or not. I figure that regardless, Jake and Neytiri having kids through their weird mindlink sex braids is probably going to happen in the next film anyway.

As far as Jake getting his body back in my speculation, if he does, it wouldn't be until the last film anyway when he heads back to Earth, so there's plenty of time for hair sex in between.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 03:47 AM   #39
RoJoHen
Awesome

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
She was already pregnant in the unscreened epilogue for the first movie while Jake was still a Blue Meanie..
Isn't that the ending to the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy?
Old August 6 2013, 06:07 PM   #40
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Oops, I forgot about the atmosphere problem. Presumably Jake's human body will suffocate and die, no? I suppose that could be handwaved away somehow, but...

I also don't really see Cameron doing a Gaia-related story. Without the whole bio-net shebang, invoking a planetary spirit would entirely depart from sci-fi into space fantasy. I know Jake says something to the effect of "we humans killed our world spirit", but I'm not sure that was meant to be taken literally.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 07:14 PM   #41
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

I also don't really see Cameron doing a Gaia-related story. Without the whole bio-net shebang, invoking a planetary spirit would entirely depart from sci-fi into space fantasy. I know Jake says something to the effect of "we humans killed our world spirit", but I'm not sure that was meant to be taken literally.
I will bet you a shiny new flying car that he does, because we'll totally have those by the distant future of 2018 according to scifi.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 11:31 PM   #42
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
As far as Jake getting his body back in my speculation, if he does, it wouldn't be until the last film anyway when he heads back to Earth,
Count me among those who believe that this should not happen at any point in the series (unless it is temporary).
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 03:54 PM   #43
Colonel Midnight
Vice Admiral

^ Perhaps a cloned human version of Jake (simulacrum, whatever) could be used so that he could then interact with the human forces?

Horrible idea, imo, but still -- it would be an 'Avatar'...

Cheers,
-CM-

0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
Colonel Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 10:20 AM   #44
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

Avatar2 :the avatar tech is used to plug someone into some space dolphin avatar to explore a water planet, find out the space dolphins are technologically advanced, kick the humans off their world.

Avatar 3: The Avatar tech is used to make peace with a superior species, war tension abound, eased by quasi inter-species sex

Avatar 4: We finally find out what Weyland Yutani knew about the Xenomorphs and why the Space Jockys wanted to destroy us
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 11:59 AM   #45
Tulin
Vice Admiral

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
Avatar is what made me love science fiction again
Good for you.

Avatar is what made me hate Avatar.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote