Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old August 2 2013, 11:46 PM   #31
Defiant Obrien
Lieutenant

Re: Voyager Essentials Collection

Totally agree about 7 and the doctor. (they are way better together than say him and Kes).

Probably because the doctor wasnt very developed (as a hologram).. When 7 rolled around, he found someone more socially dysfunctional than he was so he was able to shine.

From your list, the only episodes i skipped were:

Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy

(The rest are all in season 7 i believe. And i JUST now started Unimatrix 0 part duex)

Thanks much for compiling this!

"Never sleep in your car next to the goodwill dropbox.. The other transients hovering around will give you no peace"

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
You're missing some essential episodes like someone said, "Drone".

I tend to like deep story lines and/or comedy. Also my favorite episodes for season 5-7 are mainly Seven or Doc episodes.

Some of my faves from 5~7:
Drone
Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy
Counterpoint
Someone To Watch Over Me
Bride of Chaotica
Critical Care
Riddles
Unimatrix 0 (1/2)
Child's Play
Imperfection
Body and Soul
Workforce (1/2)

Also...yeah...if you are watching for the first time, I would watch them all. No one is timing you.
Defiant Obrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2013, 11:51 PM   #32
Defiant Obrien
Lieutenant

Im sorry dude but Bride Of Chatoica was a bullshit episode. There was no sense of danger..The dialog was way WAY over the top (even for a b-side)... It was like reading an Archie comic book.

I totally understand what you mean about old movie serials.. (i used to watch the scarecrow and lone ranger and flash and buck back in the day).. Operative word "BACK IN THE DAY"..

Its no more than more guilty pleasure pandering and just shows that they were REAL short on ideas.

Look at the TNG episodes that featured picard as Dixon Hill. Its the de-facto standard for the nostalgia feel being portrayed and works flawlessly

Melakon wrote: View Post
Bride of Chaotica is a lot of fun, but if you've never seen old movie serials like Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, and Republic's Rocketman character, some of it may be incomprehensible. The Captain Proton holoprogram appears briefly in other episodes, but gets the full treatment here. It's sort of a cross between Buster Crabbe's Flash Gordon serials, and Republic's "Radar Men from the Moon" or "Zombies of the Stratosphere" (the latter with 21 yr old Leonard Nimoy in a small role as a Martian).
Old August 3 2013, 12:08 AM   #33
Defiant Obrien
Lieutenant

Captain Ransom wrote: View Post
In that case, I absolutely MUST recommend Threshold. You have to watch it - all the way through. In fact, you should even go back and re-watch the parts involving Tom's transfiguration. ;P

Also, and you don't have to respond to anything I say, but why have you only listed episodes from seasons 5-7? Did you like that portion of the show more?
Season 5 was pretty much where I started to lose interest completely in voyager (i think i had just finished bride of chaotica when i made this post).... I really want to finish the series but going through so many of those filler episodes was starting to feel like work instead of being entertained..

and I did watch threshold (tom gets transmogrified into some kinda iguana thing and knocks up the captain)

Captain Ransom wrote: View Post
I'm by no means trying to contradict your point, I just wanted to add that I haven't seen any of the old movie serials you mentioned and I still enjoyed this episode immensely. I almost didn't recognize Janeway! =O She looked so... Adams-family-esque!

I also thought I might add, I have this funny hunch that Voyager is the Star Trek series that is "for girls." >_> And when I say that, I mean it in only the best way.

As a Star Trek series, Voyager has almost all of my favorite characters in it, and, oddly enough, almost all of them happen to be female.

Addams family!!! Absolutely.. forgot about that one.. and the munsters.. BOC totally had that feel

I agree with you, Voyagers inherent feminism feel (and im not knocking that approach..).. just felt "forced".. Janeway was trying too hard to be the bad ass captain that inspires loyalty.. And something i noticed this time around was that Kate Mulgrew REALLY overacts some of her parts.. Robert Beltran too.. but i honestly think the chakotay character should have been played by a much older actor..

If you want to talk sexist, look at how all the main male characters played second string to their female counterparts

(Chakotay -> Janeway)
(Tom -> Blana)
(Neelix -> Kes)
(Doctor.. -> practically everyone cept maybe 7)
Old August 3 2013, 12:14 AM   #34
Defiant Obrien
Lieutenant

Mage wrote: View Post
IMO, you can't appreciate the beauty in life if you haven't seen the shit around it aswell.

So, if you want to really love the good episode, you should suffer through the bad aswell. My gf and I watched all of Voyager a year ago, her first viewing. Some of the later episodes were new for me as well, since I sort of gave up on VOY at the beginning of season 6 and only saw a handfull of seasons 6 and 7. Now, we are sort of watching it again, but skipping the ones we really, really hated.
I totally agree man. Like i said, i suffered through 5 seasons already.. Season 5 i only skipped like.. 4 or 5
Old August 3 2013, 12:18 AM   #35
Defiant Obrien
Lieutenant

No, no...I did not mean that at all. I meant Parts 1 AND 2! I would never watch a part 1 and then not the part 2! Never!

And I only listed my faves from seasons 5~7 because that is was the OP asked for. I have another list somewhere of my favorites from the entire series.

I like all 7 seasons. However, I tend to rewatch more from 5~7. They are more like two seperate shows for me, kind of. So I have my favorites from 1~3 and then also from 5~7.

One of my faves from the early ones is Future's End. I love Sarah Silverman's character. And I'm a fan of Ed Begley Jr.
And I appreciate it! I have already seen every episode in S1-S4.. i only started skipping in Season 5

AND I LOVED FUTURES END!! That is a star trek hall of famer.. Flawless execution and memorable lines..Equal to any of the TNG or DS9 back in time episodes..

You're right, S1-S4 (which i think is where kes left) seems to be a completely different series than S5+
Old August 3 2013, 12:21 AM   #36
Defiant Obrien
Lieutenant

MacLeod wrote: View Post
If I were to pick episodes to watch from S5-7.

Night
Drone
Timeless
Latent Image
Relativity

One Small Step
Pathfinder
Blink of an Eye
Ashes to Ashes
Life Line

Critical Care
The Void
Thanks McCloed.. Ive seen most of these as well. Good thing about putting this post together was it looks like my initial choices agree with the majority of the responses..
Old August 3 2013, 12:25 AM   #37
Defiant Obrien
Lieutenant

You_Will_Fail wrote: View Post
OP, you clearly have no grasp of which of Voyager's episodes are filler and which aren't (although you could argue all are..)
I just know how to recognize good writing and execution my man.

And you know what? I think janeway looks way sexier without all that old lady makeup (i just finished Unimatrix 0 and am watching the ending where she is in recovery.. Freakin hot..
Old August 3 2013, 03:38 PM   #38
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

Defiant Obrien wrote: View Post
Totally agree about 7 and the doctor. (they are way better together than say him and Kes).

Probably because the doctor wasnt very developed (as a hologram).. When 7 rolled around, he found someone more socially dysfunctional than he was so he was able to shine.

From your list, the only episodes i skipped were:

Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy
You're welcome!

Any reason you wish to skip Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy? It is one of the most "humorous but in a good way" episodes that feature the Doctor, IMO. But I love VOY's humor.
Old August 4 2013, 03:27 PM   #39
Defiant Obrien
Lieutenant

You're welcome!

Any reason you wish to skip Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy? It is one of the most "humorous but in a good way" episodes that feature the Doctor, IMO. But I love VOY's humor.

I will probably go back and watch it since you mention. So many of these episodes can be watched out of order.
Old August 5 2013, 01:29 PM   #40
KaraBear
Captain

Defiant Obrien wrote: View Post
Thanks VERY much you guys! this is exactly what i was looking for.

On this list i have most of these except i think Drone, 30 days and Bride of Chaotica... These eps worth the re-watch huh?

KaraBear wrote: View Post
my list of essential episodes

Season 5:
Drone
Extreme Risk
Timeless
Infinite Regress
30 Days
Counterpoint
Latent Image
Bride of Chaotica
Dark Frontier
Juggernaut
Relativity
Warhead
Equinox Part 1

Season 6:
Equinox Part 2
Barge of the Dead
Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy
Pathfinder
Blink of an Eye
Virtuoso
Memorial
Collective
Fury
Life Line
The Haunting of Deck 12
Unimatrix Zero Part 1

Season 7
Unimatrix Zero Part 2
Imperfection
Drive
Critical Care
Inside Man
Body and Soul
Flesh and Blood
Shattered
Lineage
Prophecy
Workforce Part 1 & 2
Human Error
Q2
Author Author
Homestead
Renaisance Man
Endgame
30 days is when Tom gets demoted, and it adds insight into his character which is what I believe you were looking for.

Bride of Chaotica doesn't add anything, but it's just a good fun episode.

Drone adds character insight
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 02:43 PM   #41
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

Future's End is crapola imo.

Anyway, a lot of people get burned out on Voyager season 5.
It's good to take a break and then come back like Admiral_Screed did in his awesome watch thread, take a while to reflect on what is good about Voyager and Star Trek in general. An absence from the show makes you appreciate how unique it still is among tv shows.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofz1Zbpkxys
You_Will_Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 02:45 PM   #42
KaraBear
Captain

I liked the paradox in Future's End. And of course without it the Doctor wouldn't have his mobile emitter
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote