RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,962
Posts: 5,391,878
Members: 24,720
Currently online: 572
Newest member: Amywholoveswine

TrekToday headlines

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Free Star Trek Trexels Game
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

New Trek-themed Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Aug 21

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 4 2013, 07:41 PM   #46
SeerSGB
Admiral
 
SeerSGB's Avatar
 
Location: Tennessee
Re: When did the perception of Insurrection change?

BillJ wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post
- The cat's out of the bag now, what's to keep someone (Ferengi, Romulans, Dominion, Klingons) for rolling up and say "fuck you" to the Baku. Federation space or not, if I heard my enemy had a magical healing world and I couldn't conquer it, I'd send in a warship to scorch the planet.
This has always been my biggest point for moving the Ba'ku. I don't want them getting slaughtered when another power inevitably hears about the fountain of youth. And I don't want to waste resources and potentially the lives of Starfleet personnel defending six-hundred people.
Yeppers. The Romulans or the Dominion aren't going to give a shit about 600 people. For that matter, the S'ona make white which brings up 2 things:

1) Why the fuck is the Federation dealing with a race that creates a key military asset for the enemy.

2) Why didn't the S'ona go to the Dominion and offer them this deal;

3) Why did the Dominion even put up with this arrangement? We should have seen a Dominion dreadnought warp in and beat the snot out of every one and claim the planet.

Okay 3 things.
__________________
- SeerSGB -
Good men don't need rules, The Doctor (A Good Man Goes To War)
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 08:14 PM   #47
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: When did the perception of Insurrection change?

Mage wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post


In YOUR opinion.
Pretty much a given. People enjoy different things and look for different things in entertainment and shouldn't have to tag every post with "in my opinion".


But ultimatly, they are now as native to that planet as US citizens are to the US. And forcing them to leave because the UFP thinks they need some form of radiation....
Sorry. One, it is an apples and oranges comparison as there are currently 360 million Americans. So it wouldn't be practical to move that many people. Two, if six hundred Americans were sitting on a cure for cancer and the only way to get at it was to move them, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I don't care how much they cried "FREEDOM111!1"

Point of view then I suppose. I personally can not believe it's just to remove people by force to serve others. To much 'good' has been accomplished in the world by making others suffer. In all honousty, I can't help but wonder of the people of the Federation would even want a cure for all diseases, if they knew how 600 people were treated in order to get that cure. Assuming that the UFP is indeed such an enlightened society, you'd figure they'd be opposed.
Actually according to Mirror Mirror the Federation was kind of opposed to this sort of thing as the point Kirk was making before the transporter accident that sent him and the others to the Mirror Universe was that while the federation had the military might to simply take Halkan's dilithium crystals for themselves by force they weren't going to do that because they were a benevolent good guy organization that doesn't do that. Hell that was kind of the major point of the whole episode

BillJ wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post
- The cat's out of the bag now, what's to keep someone (Ferengi, Romulans, Dominion, Klingons) for rolling up and say "fuck you" to the Baku. Federation space or not, if I heard my enemy had a magical healing world and I couldn't conquer it, I'd send in a warship to scorch the planet.
This has always been my biggest point for moving the Ba'ku. I don't want them getting slaughtered when another power inevitably hears about the fountain of youth. And I don't want to waste resources and potentially the lives of Starfleet personnel defending six-hundred people.
1) This assumes that anyone other than humans gives two shits about a fountain of youth.

2) Considering Dougherty already implied that other than the Son'a the federation wasn't sharing the stuff, so a war to take it would be inevitable anyway assuming again anyone but them actually cared.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 08:16 PM   #48
Hober Mallow
Commodore
 
Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: When did the perception of Insurrection change?

I liked the stuff with crazy Data at the beginning of the movie. Then it was all downhill from there.

Ultimately, the movie just didn't grip me at all. I didn't care about any of the characters, neither the Baku nor the Son'a nor even the Enterprise crew. The crew had no personal stake in the story at all until near the end. They could have warped away at any time. All through the film, as I sat in theater, I kept thinking, "when am I supposed to care about what's going on?" The whole film just had an "alien-of-the-week" TV episode feel to it.

It's not that I wanted another "First Contact." In fact, that's precisely what I didn't. I wanted no time travel, less mindless action, and something a little more true to the spirit of the TV series. I wanted what Michael Piller had always excelled at in television -- a strong character story. We didn't get that. I think Piller tried his best, but he failed spectacularly. Ironically, I think Roddenberry would have loved it; it might even have been his favorite Trek film, because it presents our faultless heroes as right and everyone else as wrong.
__________________
"Beep... beep!" --Captain Pike
Hober Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 08:29 PM   #49
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: When did the perception of Insurrection change?

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
2) Why didn't the S'ona go to the Dominion and offer them this deal;
Why would the Dominion care?

Changelings are already immortal and don't give two shits about what would benefit solids, Vorta are also technically immortal since they just dump their memories in a new clone when they die, and Jem'Hadar are mass produced canon fodder that are already easily replaced so there is no incentive to use it on them.

And chances are they were probably already planing to kill all the Cardassians, so no they probably wouldn't be considered either.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 08:36 PM   #50
SeerSGB
Admiral
 
SeerSGB's Avatar
 
Location: Tennessee
Re: When did the perception of Insurrection change?

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post
2) Why didn't the S'ona go to the Dominion and offer them this deal;
Why would the Dominion care?

Changelings are already immortal and don't give two shits about what would benefit solids, Vorta are also technically immortal since they just dump their memories in a new clone when they die, and Jem'Hadar are mass produced canon fodder that are already easily replaced so there is no incentive to use it on them.

And chances are they were probably already planing to kill all the Cardassians, so no they probably wouldn't be considered either.
Keep a resource out of enemy hands. If your enemy can benefit from it, even if you don't want or need it, you deny the enemy the benefit of having it.
__________________
- SeerSGB -
Good men don't need rules, The Doctor (A Good Man Goes To War)
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 10:28 PM   #51
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: When did the perception of Insurrection change?

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
The crew had no personal stake in the story at all until near the end. They could have warped away at any time.
They couldn't, because they cared for those people.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 10:41 PM   #52
Hober Mallow
Commodore
 
Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: When did the perception of Insurrection change?

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
The crew had no personal stake in the story at all until near the end. They could have warped away at any time.
They couldn't, because they cared for those people.
"Because they're the good guys and they care" just isn't good enough. And it doesn't do the film any good if the heroes care about them but the audience doesn't.
__________________
"Beep... beep!" --Captain Pike
Hober Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 11:26 PM   #53
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: When did the perception of Insurrection change?

BillJ wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post


In YOUR opinion.
Pretty much a given. People enjoy different things and look for different things in entertainment and shouldn't have to tag every post with "in my opinion".


But ultimatly, they are now as native to that planet as US citizens are to the US. And forcing them to leave because the UFP thinks they need some form of radiation....
Sorry. One, it is an apples and oranges comparison as there are currently 360 million Americans. So it wouldn't be practical to move that many people. Two, if six hundred Americans were sitting on a cure for cancer and the only way to get at it was to move them, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I don't care how much they cried "FREEDOM111!1"
I assume of course that you would

a.>Inform them they have to move
b.>Allow them to appeal via the courts
c.>compensate them
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 12:01 AM   #54
SeerSGB
Admiral
 
SeerSGB's Avatar
 
Location: Tennessee
Re: When did the perception of Insurrection change?

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
The crew had no personal stake in the story at all until near the end. They could have warped away at any time.
They couldn't, because they cared for those people.
"Because they're the good guys and they care" just isn't good enough. And it doesn't do the film any good if the heroes care about them but the audience doesn't.
Gotta agree there. "Cause we're the good guys" just doesn't cut it for me with a lot of stories. Especially one as clearly wrong sided as INS.

MacLeod wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post


In YOUR opinion.
Pretty much a given. People enjoy different things and look for different things in entertainment and shouldn't have to tag every post with "in my opinion".


But ultimatly, they are now as native to that planet as US citizens are to the US. And forcing them to leave because the UFP thinks they need some form of radiation....
Sorry. One, it is an apples and oranges comparison as there are currently 360 million Americans. So it wouldn't be practical to move that many people. Two, if six hundred Americans were sitting on a cure for cancer and the only way to get at it was to move them, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I don't care how much they cried "FREEDOM111!1"
I assume of course that you would

a.>Inform them they have to move
b.>Allow them to appeal via the courts
c.>compensate them
Are you native to this planet or star system? How many of you are there?

a.) . Waaa, you're six hundred people that accidentally reaped the rewards of the planet. I've got 6 billion-plus that need this planet. So either you let us land a colony on the planet or get Uhual on the line and pack your shit, it's moving day

b.) Want to appeal? Here, all 600 of you pile into this ship, we'll warp you back to Federation space and stand "guard" over the planet while you're gone.

c.) You want compensation? Well, I have 4 forward torp launchers, 200 torps, and a weapons officer that likes to blow shit up. Can you make change?

This is why I rarely think deeply about Trek movie.
__________________
- SeerSGB -
Good men don't need rules, The Doctor (A Good Man Goes To War)
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 01:00 AM   #55
Dick_Valentine
Commander
 
Location: Birmingham, UK (Not Alabama)
View Dick_Valentine's Twitter Profile
Re: When did the perception of Insurrection change?

Did the original ending ever surface for this (the footage, I mean?)

That whole part where the Enterprise zooms back and beams up picard just in time, that's the reshot "new" ending isn't it?

Also, did the scene with Quark ever get off the cutting room floor also? And the one with the actor who plays Rom as a Trill security officer?

There's also an effects mistake in this film too.
When picard beams onto the collector, he's beaming from the Son'a ship he captured to the Son'a collector.
Why, then, is the transporter effect the standard Federation waterfall effect?
__________________
I don't care what anyone thinks, when I hit the iceberg the iceberg sinks!
Dick_Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 01:28 AM   #56
SeerSGB
Admiral
 
SeerSGB's Avatar
 
Location: Tennessee
Re: When did the perception of Insurrection change?

Dick_Valentine wrote: View Post
Did the original ending ever surface for this (the footage, I mean?)

That whole part where the Enterprise zooms back and beams up picard just in time, that's the reshot "new" ending isn't it?

Also, did the scene with Quark ever get off the cutting room floor also? And the one with the actor who plays Rom as a Trill security officer?

There's also an effects mistake in this film too.
When picard beams onto the collector, he's beaming from the Son'a ship he captured to the Son'a collector.
Why, then, is the transporter effect the standard Federation waterfall effect?
I really dislike the collector scene. That whole shot just looked cheap and unfinished. I can forgive the movie for everything but the collector scene and the joytick.
__________________
- SeerSGB -
Good men don't need rules, The Doctor (A Good Man Goes To War)
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 02:20 AM   #57
sonak
Vice Admiral
 
Location: in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
Re: When did the perception of Insurrection change?

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post
- The cat's out of the bag now, what's to keep someone (Ferengi, Romulans, Dominion, Klingons) for rolling up and say "fuck you" to the Baku. Federation space or not, if I heard my enemy had a magical healing world and I couldn't conquer it, I'd send in a warship to scorch the planet.
This has always been my biggest point for moving the Ba'ku. I don't want them getting slaughtered when another power inevitably hears about the fountain of youth. And I don't want to waste resources and potentially the lives of Starfleet personnel defending six-hundred people.
Yeppers. The Romulans or the Dominion aren't going to give a shit about 600 people. For that matter, the S'ona make white which brings up 2 things:

1) Why the fuck is the Federation dealing with a race that creates a key military asset for the enemy.

2) Why didn't the S'ona go to the Dominion and offer them this deal;

3) Why did the Dominion even put up with this arrangement? We should have seen a Dominion dreadnought warp in and beat the snot out of every one and claim the planet.

Okay 3 things.

the Son'a offered the deal to the Federation because the planet was in THEIR space.

Of course, again, they had no reason to offer them the deal if the Federation was going to renounce its claim in favor of the Baku, then the Son'a were free to step in and remove the Baku on their own.


again, the answer to many questions from this movie are "because the writer didn't think the premise through."
__________________
"why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?"
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 03:35 AM   #58
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: When did the perception of Insurrection change?

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post
2) Why didn't the S'ona go to the Dominion and offer them this deal;
Why would the Dominion care?

Changelings are already immortal and don't give two shits about what would benefit solids, Vorta are also technically immortal since they just dump their memories in a new clone when they die, and Jem'Hadar are mass produced canon fodder that are already easily replaced so there is no incentive to use it on them.

And chances are they were probably already planing to kill all the Cardassians, so no they probably wouldn't be considered either.
Keep a resource out of enemy hands. If your enemy can benefit from it, even if you don't want or need it, you deny the enemy the benefit of having it.
You over estimate the value of said resource in a war against a civilization that breeds more soldiers every day and builds more ships faster than the Feds do.

Hell one invasion fleet to Bajor and chroniton blast to the wormhole later any advantage the federation has except for an armada of wave motion cannon equipped ships wouldn't mean shit anyway.

Which is why I'm surprised the Dominion never thought to do that.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 03:40 AM   #59
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Old Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: When did the perception of Insurrection change?

To the original topic, I think that INS had always been a pretty underwhelming Trek film installment, but it probably also came to be seen as part of bigger problem after NEM, at which point it could be seen as starting a downward spiral. A stronger fourth TNG film would probably have made us more forgiving of the weak third one.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 04:43 AM   #60
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: When did the perception of Insurrection change?

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
They couldn't, because they cared for those people.
"Because they're the good guys and they care" just isn't good enough. And it doesn't do the film any good if the heroes care about them but the audience doesn't.
Gotta agree there. "Cause we're the good guys" just doesn't cut it for me with a lot of stories. Especially one as clearly wrong sided as INS.

MacLeod wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post

Pretty much a given. People enjoy different things and look for different things in entertainment and shouldn't have to tag every post with "in my opinion".

Sorry. One, it is an apples and oranges comparison as there are currently 360 million Americans. So it wouldn't be practical to move that many people. Two, if six hundred Americans were sitting on a cure for cancer and the only way to get at it was to move them, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I don't care how much they cried "FREEDOM111!1"
I assume of course that you would

a.>Inform them they have to move
b.>Allow them to appeal via the courts
c.>compensate them
Are you native to this planet or star system? How many of you are there?

a.) . Waaa, you're six hundred people that accidentally reaped the rewards of the planet. I've got 6 billion-plus that need this planet. So either you let us land a colony on the planet or get Uhual on the line and pack your shit, it's moving day

b.) Want to appeal? Here, all 600 of you pile into this ship, we'll warp you back to Federation space and stand "guard" over the planet while you're gone.

c.) You want compensation? Well, I have 4 forward torp launchers, 200 torps, and a weapons officer that likes to blow shit up. Can you make change?

This is why I rarely think deeply about Trek movie.
So you are saying if you happened to live on a plot of land that contained something a foreign government wanted it would be alright for them to come in overnight. Kidnap you dump you halfway around the planet with virtually nothing but the shirt on your back?
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
ins, insurrection

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.