RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,734
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 934
Newest member: DeimosAnimus

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 4 2013, 05:24 PM   #31
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: Star Trek: The Seekers

Thrawn wrote: View Post
I think the best year in TrekLit was probably either 2008, with Terok Nor, A Burning House, the first two Myriad Universes volumes, Greater Than The Sum, and oh yeah a little trilogy called Destiny, or 2009, with Vanguard 4 & 5, the first two Beyer Voyager novels, two of the best Titan novels, A Singular Destiny, and Losing The Peace.
I didn't care excessively for Destiny, but loved Cold Equations. Add in DRGIII's duology, 2012 is very strong for me.

Either way, Seekers already makes me anxious for next year !
Old August 4 2013, 05:35 PM   #32
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

Old August 4 2013, 10:07 PM   #33
MrArcas
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Masao wrote: View Post
Holy crap! How something like this can come around is crazy. A ship I designed for a fan website 12 years ago is plucked from obscurity to become a secondary "character" in a official book series, stars in a series of fan-made fake book covers paying homage to the official novelizations of TOS, and then becomes the star of an official book inspired by the fake covers. What a world!
I know... it's a dizzying thrill ride, huh? I'm still suffering a degree of disbelief about the whole thing.... how my fannish faux homage inspired a series?! Ka-RAY-zeee!!!!
Old August 4 2013, 10:10 PM   #34
MrArcas
Lieutenant Junior Grade

DorkBoy [TM] wrote: View Post
Love the retro styled covers as well.
Thanks! I'm really pysched that they insisted on that cover format as part of their agreement with the publisher. I mean I thought it was cool... but it's now become more obvious that most old school Trekkies start squeeing in the ultrasonic at the sight of that format and the big ole numbers
Old August 4 2013, 10:15 PM   #35
MrArcas
Lieutenant Junior Grade

BTW, if anyone wants to see the covers that inspired this... and my "Blish: Remastered" book covers, you can catch 'em here:

http://arcas-art.deviantart.com/gallery/30878717
Old August 5 2013, 03:14 AM   #36
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Great that you are on the forum MrArcas. Congratulations on the part you've played in this series' creation!

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 03:15 AM   #37
Daddy Todd
Captain

MrArcas wrote: View Post
BTW, if anyone wants to see the covers that inspired this... and my "Blish: Remastered" book covers, you can catch 'em here:

Awesome work! Thanks for sharing it with us. I've been loving your faux Blish covers since they were pointed out to me a year or so ago. I also love the faux Bantam '70's "novel that never was" cover by Silverberg. Did you ever do the other titles in that series -- by Phil Dick, etc.?
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 05:08 AM   #38
JD
Admiral

That's some great stuff. I can't wait to see what you come up with for the covers for the real books.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 02:44 PM   #39
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I haven't read Vanguard yet (they're all on my shelf,waiting) so I can't speak to their content, but the covers will definitely be nice! I just hope these are stories that CAN'T be told just as easily in ENT, TOS, TNG, DS9 and VOY.
Old August 5 2013, 03:59 PM   #40
MrArcas
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Daddy Todd wrote: View Post
I also love the faux Bantam '70's "novel that never was" cover by Silverberg. Did you ever do the other titles in that series -- by Phil Dick, etc.?
Well I certainly MEANT to.... I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I liked the fact that name SF writers were taking on Trek novels, back then.... but honestly.... reading 'em today... they just weren't that good. Probably my fave of that era is "The Galactic Whirlpool", but since it was Gerrold he already had a leg up on what makes good Trek.
Old August 5 2013, 04:04 PM   #41
tomswift2002
Captain

I really like your Abode Of Life cover, I think its the best of the lot.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 04:21 PM   #42
Christopher
Writer

I liked the fact that name SF writers were taking on Trek novels, back then.... but honestly.... reading 'em today... they just weren't that good. Probably my fave of that era is "The Galactic Whirlpool", but since it was Gerrold he already had a leg up on what makes good Trek.
Planet of Judgment was pretty strong too. It's clear that Joe Haldeman knew his Trek, or at least researched it well, but he also brought his own sensibilities to it in an interesting way, particularly using his military experience to flesh out landing party procedures.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 05:41 PM   #43
Ptrope
Agitator

Daddy Todd wrote: View Post

Awesome work! Thanks for sharing it with us. I've been loving your faux Blish covers since they were pointed out to me a year or so ago. I also love the faux Bantam '70's "novel that never was" cover by Silverberg. Did you ever do the other titles in that series -- by Phil Dick, etc.?
A group of us did some 'speculative' covers for Trek adaptations of known sci-fi stories; in this thread in Fan Art, I did Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, as well as Fahrenheit 451 and The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Congrats, MrArcas! You're the reason I'll be buying any Star Trek books next year .
Old August 6 2013, 06:01 AM   #44
Avro Arrow
Captain

This series sounds awesome! I am *so* in!

Khatami's journey through the course of Vanguard was great to watch, so I'm looking forward to seeing it continue. And it's always fun to see the crew of the Sagittarius in action!

Can't wait for this to come out...
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 06:32 AM   #45
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

Wowza. This is awesome news. I really do need to catch up on Vanguard. I reread them all when Precipice came out, but I got burned out on Declassified. But I did really like the Sagittarius and Endeavor crews.