RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,410
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 532
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old August 4 2013, 08:40 AM   #1
Lt. Cheka Wey
Commander

Are Federation politicians immune to sex scandals?

I am not talking about some samm time mayor on a backward planet. Is there any sexual activity besides rape that could get someone impeached or lessen his/her chances to get elected signficantly?
Lt. Cheka Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 09:02 AM   #2
The Emissary
Lieutenant

Re: Are Federation politicians immune to sex scandals?

Perhaps sex with a Trek equivalent to Cthulu perhaps? :P

I'm not sure. It really depends on how prudish humans in the 24th century really are. What would make them so disgusted that impeachment was necessary? Or do they simple figure that is a personal thing and what matters is the person's ability to lead the Federation or represent their world on the council or whatever? Anything else is just a private matter between the politician and their partner.

Weren't there a group of prudish people in that oft-hated DS9 episode "Let He Who Is Without Sin..."? Maybe they would be bothered if a future presidential candidate was not married or if they cheated on their spouse.
The Emissary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 09:33 AM   #3
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Well in Roddenberry's vision, people were trained by a Love Instructor (Kirk is named after his mother's love instructor), so I'm guessing that it would have to be something pretty outlandish to be classified as a scandal and maybe something that socialyl we don't have - maybe forgetting to thank your host for the excellent oral after the third course of your meal?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 09:40 AM   #4
Lt. Cheka Wey
Commander

Well in Roddenberry's vision, people were trained by a Love Instructor (Kirk is named after his mother's love instructor),
Source?
Old August 4 2013, 09:47 AM   #5
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

^GR's Star Trek: TMP novelization. Although I read it as a euphemism, not as some actual future job!
Old August 4 2013, 09:54 AM   #6
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
^GR's Star Trek: TMP novelization. Although I read it as a euphemism, not as some actual future job!
Odd euphemism when 'lover' or 'Boyfriend' would be sufficient and 'instructor' makes it more clinical sounding.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 01:50 PM   #7
The Wormhole
Admiral

What goes on between two (or more) consenting sentient adults is no one else's business. I'm sure in the enlightened 24th century the moral sexual activities of a politician would not get him in trouble. Though I'm sure the tabloids would have a field day if it were learned Jaresh-Inyo had a thing for sticking Tribbles or Cardassian voles up his ass or something...
Old August 4 2013, 02:29 PM   #8
vulcan redshirt
Lieutenant Commander

Since marriage is still shown to be in existence in the ST universe, I would say that having an affair whilst married would still carry the same issues as it does now, for the same reasons. However, an unmarried politician would probably be able to spend a week on Risa without anyone noticing or caring, wheras now if an unmarried MP, senator etc (depends where you are) were to spend a week in Amsterdam or popping in and out of Nevada brothels, the tabloids would have a field day.

Also, there are considerable variations in prudishness of the various member worlds. Denobulans (I'd assume they became Federation members), Risans and Betazoids seem very open with regard to sexuality, but if for example, a Vulcan politician got caught with his trousers down, that would be a scandal.
vulcan redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 02:43 PM   #9
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I love how this guy has been spamming this board with completely nonsensical thread for weeks now, and nobody realizes it.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 03:05 PM   #10
vulcan redshirt
Lieutenant Commander

Now you mention it....
vulcan redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 03:08 PM   #11
E-DUB
Captain

To try for a serious answer to a question asked perhaps tongue-in-cheek, I'd like to think that by 3 or 4 hundred years from now society would have evolved to a point where non-coercive sexual behavior would be nobodies business except the parties involved, however these things ebb and flow. Clearly Kirk's time, given his behavior and the "uniforms" of female personnel, is on of a more libertine nature. By the 24th century, who knows. Given that the Federation consists of multiple societies, some are perhaps on the "upswing", others on the "down".

The very existence of a place like Risa, a planet devoted to what might be called "Tourism prostitution" implies, not a more liberal attitude toward sex, but rather a more conservative one as such places only thrive as safety valves for suppressed urges.

Just don't get caught with a naked Bolian.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 04:23 PM   #12
Lt. Cheka Wey
Commander

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I love how this guy has been spamming this board with completely nonsensical thread for weeks now, and nobody realizes it.
Feel free to PM me about it. i AM OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS.
Old August 4 2013, 07:55 PM   #13
Shat Happens
Commander

Some feds citizens (at least some Starfleet officers) have to take and record a oath of celibacy so it is possible. The Fed Pres in IV is bald, maybe he is deltan.

It's always better to keep one's pants up. Except when it isn't but you know, work ambient and all. Anyways OP did say politicians, some secrewing must be in order.
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 08:22 PM   #14
R. Star
Rear Admiral

As long as people are still having sex, politicians(who are people) will have sex scandals.
Old August 4 2013, 08:26 PM   #15
Melakon
Vice Admiral

In the 24th century, if you're a politician not having illicit sex, it's a scandal.