RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,766
Posts: 5,433,917
Members: 24,839
Currently online: 635
Newest member: mrcptuk

TrekToday headlines

The Art of John Alvin Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Episode Four of The Red Shirt Diaries
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Star Trek: The Compendium Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 30 2013, 05:16 PM   #61
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: First details of nuKhan prequel comic

^The references in the movie's dialogue are consistent with a 20th-century date for the Eugenics Wars, I believe.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 07:11 PM   #62
BritishSeaPower
Commander
 
BritishSeaPower's Avatar
 
Location: New Jersey
View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile
Re: First details of nuKhan prequel comic

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Noddy wrote: View Post
I have to say, I'll be a tad disappointed if the comic has Khan looking like Cumberpatch from the start. The character has an Indian name; it makes sense that he should start off looking like an Indian.
If he looks like Montalban, he won't look like an Indian. Montalban is a Mexican of Spanish decent.

Was anybody up in arms when it was announced that Freddie Mercury (born Farrokh Bulsara) an Indian Parsi, was going to be played by English actor Russell Brand?
I think you mean Sacha Baron Cohen (Brand was never attached to the project, but just a persistent rumor) who is Israeli-English and was selected because he bears a passing resemblance to Mercury. (And who just left the that film a week ago!)

As well, we do know that they were looking for actors who did look like Montalaban, or had a similar heritage. Benecio del Toro (Puertro Rican) was in the role but left and Edgar Raimerz (Venezuelan) from Zero Dark Thirty was a contender for the role. It seems likely that somewhere around this stage Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof decided to reign in the Khan-iness and went for the more generic Harrison before putting the Khan back in. While I think Cumberbatch did a great job, there is a part of me that feels a twinge about the casting of the whitest of white guys to play Khan. I still think the most logical choice was Naveen Andrews, especially with JJ's penchant for utilizing actors he's worked with in other mediums.
__________________
"I love humans. Always seeing patterns in things that aren't there." - The Eighth Doctor

Last edited by BritishSeaPower; July 30 2013 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Didn't want to double post and had to add a thought.
BritishSeaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 10:59 PM   #63
Noddy
Captain
 
Re: First details of nuKhan prequel comic

I wonder how the comic will go about explaining the healing power of Khan's blood, and how and when Khan becomes aware of this. I hope it isn't something that was with him before he even fled on the Botany Bay, as if he had the ability back then and knew about it, why didn't he use it to save Marla on Ceti Alpha V?
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 02:13 AM   #64
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: First details of nuKhan prequel comic

BritishSeaPower wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Noddy wrote: View Post
I have to say, I'll be a tad disappointed if the comic has Khan looking like Cumberpatch from the start. The character has an Indian name; it makes sense that he should start off looking like an Indian.
If he looks like Montalban, he won't look like an Indian. Montalban is a Mexican of Spanish decent.

Was anybody up in arms when it was announced that Freddie Mercury (born Farrokh Bulsara) an Indian Parsi, was going to be played by English actor Russell Brand?
I think you mean Sacha Baron Cohen (Brand was never attached to the project, but just a persistent rumor) who is Israeli-English and was selected because he bears a passing resemblance to Mercury. (And who just left the that film a week ago!)

As well, we do know that they were looking for actors who did look like Montalaban, or had a similar heritage. Benecio del Toro (Puertro Rican) was in the role but left and Edgar Raimerz (Venezuelan) from Zero Dark Thirty was a contender for the role. It seems likely that somewhere around this stage Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof decided to reign in the Khan-iness and went for the more generic Harrison before putting the Khan back in. While I think Cumberbatch did a great job, there is a part of me that feels a twinge about the casting of the whitest of white guys to play Khan. I still think the most logical choice was Naveen Andrews, especially with JJ's penchant for utilizing actors he's worked with in other mediums.
You're right, it was Baron Cohen. Apparently there was a rumor Brand was going to play Freddie. Would there be as much uproar if a Hispanic actor played Khan? Which to me sounds like the old "All brown people are the same" approach common in the Hollywood of yore.

The whitest of white guys is Jim Gaffigan.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 02:22 AM   #65
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: First details of nuKhan prequel comic

Noddy wrote: View Post
I wonder how the comic will go about explaining the healing power of Khan's blood, and how and when Khan becomes aware of this. I hope it isn't something that was with him before he even fled on the Botany Bay, as if he had the ability back then and knew about it, why didn't he use it to save Marla on Ceti Alpha V?
A couple of reasons I can think of:

-He had no means of doing a blood transfusion on Ceti Alpha V.
-The eel may have caused damage to her brain beyond Magic Blood's ability to heal. Presumably it doesn't work on every mortal wound. If someone had severe damage to an integral organ, I imagine there's nothing it could do.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 09:17 AM   #66
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: First details of nuKhan prequel comic

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Magic Blood's ability to heal. Presumably it doesn't work on every mortal wound. If someone had severe damage to an integral organ, I imagine there's nothing it could do.
I finally had that conversation with the work colleague's partner who recently had experimental blood serum therapy. She was one of six people in the world in a new clinical trial. 300 mls of her own blood was reduced to about 13 mls of blood serum, and injected into a chronically troublesome tendon in her foot. The serum has stimulated the tendon to repair itself in a matter of weeks, when several years of attempts to let nature heal it had failed to make any difference.

Similar amazing results are being explored using donated blood platelets and stem cells from foetal umibilical cords.

"Magic Blood" in the early 21st Century.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 09:35 AM   #67
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: First details of nuKhan prequel comic

Noddy wrote: View Post
I wonder how the comic will go about explaining the healing power of Khan's blood, and how and when Khan becomes aware of this. I hope it isn't something that was with him before he even fled on the Botany Bay, as if he had the ability back then and knew about it, why didn't he use it to save Marla on Ceti Alpha V?
I don't think it needs explaining. I posted this in the ENT forum awhile ago:

The ENT Augments trilogy works as perfectly as a prequel to Into Darkness as it does "Space Seed" and Wrath of Khan . I love how new Treks can make us look back at older episodes or movies slightly differently. ID sheds new light on Henry Archer's death:

SOONG: They're the future. They're stronger, smarter, free from sickness, with life spans twice as long as our own. You, more than anyone, should appreciate what this means.

ARCHER: Why me?

SOONG: Your father suffered from Clarke's Disease. His final years were marked with extreme pain.

ARCHER: My father has nothing to do with this.

SOONG: He didn't need to suffer. Genetic engineering could've cured him. Those who want to suppress my Augments are the same ones who condemned your father to death.

(from "Borderland" http://www.chakoteya.net/enterprise/80.htm )

...all it would have taken to save Henry Archer was an injection of whatever's in Khan's blood, as we saw with Lucille Harewood at the start of Into Darkness and at the end with Kirk - technology which has been outlawed on Earth since 1996.



As for Marla, we have no clue how she died. If it was brain bugs, I doubt healing blood would cure madness - if anything (as we may see in STXIII), it'd cause it.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 02:09 PM   #68
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: First details of nuKhan prequel comic

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Magic Blood's ability to heal. Presumably it doesn't work on every mortal wound. If someone had severe damage to an integral organ, I imagine there's nothing it could do.
I finally had that conversation with the work colleague's partner who recently had experimental blood serum therapy. She was one of six people in the world in a new clinical trial. 300 mls of her own blood was reduced to about 13 mls of blood serum, and injected into a chronically troublesome tendon in her foot. The serum has stimulated the tendon to repair itself in a matter of weeks, when several years of attempts to let nature heal it had failed to make any difference.

Similar amazing results are being explored using donated blood platelets and stem cells from foetal umibilical cords.

"Magic Blood" in the early 21st Century.
I think my point still stands that an alien parasite totally wrecking someone's brain might be beyond the abilities of Khan's blood to heal.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 09:24 PM   #69
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral
 
Dimesdan's Avatar
 
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: First details of nuKhan prequel comic

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Magic Blood's ability to heal. Presumably it doesn't work on every mortal wound. If someone had severe damage to an integral organ, I imagine there's nothing it could do.
I finally had that conversation with the work colleague's partner who recently had experimental blood serum therapy. She was one of six people in the world in a new clinical trial. 300 mls of her own blood was reduced to about 13 mls of blood serum, and injected into a chronically troublesome tendon in her foot. The serum has stimulated the tendon to repair itself in a matter of weeks, when several years of attempts to let nature heal it had failed to make any difference.

Similar amazing results are being explored using donated blood platelets and stem cells from foetal umibilical cords.

"Magic Blood" in the early 21st Century.
Cool story.
__________________
People in third world countries are so lucky they don't have to deal with these problems. - TheGodBen

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 10:20 PM   #70
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: First details of nuKhan prequel comic

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I think my point still stands that an alien parasite totally wrecking someone's brain might be beyond the abilities of Khan's blood to heal.
I wasn't debating that bit. I was pointing out that the concept wasn't so "magic" even in today's news.

Totally agree that Marla's madness couldn't be reversed/restored after that Ceti eel chomped through her cerebral cortex.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 12:38 AM   #71
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Behind the mask of Donald Draper
Re: First details of nuKhan prequel comic

On connections between the Enterprise Augment episodes and the new movie. The Klingons deformed themselves in an effort to compete with Human augments. Imagine how they would react is they learn another lone augment has killed a large group right on their home planet!
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 04:02 AM   #72
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: First details of nuKhan prequel comic

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
As for Marla, we have no clue how she died. If it was brain bugs, I doubt healing blood would cure madness - if anything (as we may see in STXIII), it'd cause it.
Actually, Khan does say that it was the Ceti eel which killed McGivers ("it killed twenty of my people...including my beloved wife"). And if he had used his blood to treat her, it might have caused her body to expel or kill the eel as a foreign substance.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 04:39 AM   #73
RPJOB
Commander
 
RPJOB's Avatar
 
Re: First details of nuKhan prequel comic

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Magic Blood's ability to heal. Presumably it doesn't work on every mortal wound. If someone had severe damage to an integral organ, I imagine there's nothing it could do.
I finally had that conversation with the work colleague's partner who recently had experimental blood serum therapy. She was one of six people in the world in a new clinical trial. 300 mls of her own blood was reduced to about 13 mls of blood serum, and injected into a chronically troublesome tendon in her foot. The serum has stimulated the tendon to repair itself in a matter of weeks, when several years of attempts to let nature heal it had failed to make any difference.

Similar amazing results are being explored using donated blood platelets and stem cells from foetal umibilical cords.

"Magic Blood" in the early 21st Century.

There's a difference in using something from your own body to cure something and having someone else's blood to cure, not a chronic condition in the same body, but a wasting disease in a child, bringing a dead tribble back to life as well as curing someone of radiation sickness. Having Khan's blood do one of those things would be amazing enough. Doing all three makes you wonder what it cannot do. Regenerating brain tissue may be beyond it's capability or perhaps Marla had simply lost too much for the blood to repair. She might have even been the first person that the eels attacked or was away from the other colonists for some reason. Perhaps Khan was the only one what would have even considered saving her. The rest of Khan's people may have considered her weak and expendable and the eels simply provided a means to get rid of her without bringing down the Wrath of Khan upon themselves.
__________________
We can admit that we're killers ... but we're not going to kill today. That's all it takes! Knowing that we're not going to kill - today! - Kirk - A Taste of Armageddon
RPJOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 11:37 AM   #74
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: First details of nuKhan prequel comic

RPJOB wrote: View Post
There's a difference in using something from your own body to cure something and having someone else's blood to cure, not a chronic condition in the same body
As I said, similar amazing results are being explored today using donated blood platelets and stem cells from foetal umibilical cords. In countries that haven't outlawed it.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 12:08 PM   #75
Noddy
Captain
 
Re: First details of nuKhan prequel comic

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
As for Marla, we have no clue how she died. If it was brain bugs, I doubt healing blood would cure madness - if anything (as we may see in STXIII), it'd cause it.
Actually, Khan does say that it was the Ceti eel which killed McGivers ("it killed twenty of my people...including my beloved wife"). And if he had used his blood to treat her, it might have caused her body to expel or kill the eel as a foreign substance.
Then again, the fact that the eels were able to kill so many of Khan's people is evidence that simply having Augment genetic material in your body won't save you from them.
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.