RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,957
Posts: 5,391,283
Members: 24,722
Currently online: 479
Newest member: Jadakiss

TrekToday headlines

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Free Star Trek Trexels Game
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

New Trek-themed Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Aug 21

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 31 2013, 01:25 AM   #16
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: The Star Trek Lit-verse Reading Guide

^RtD pretty much spans the entire month of September and maybe a bit before and after.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 01:26 AM   #17
ryan123450
Commodore
 
ryan123450's Avatar
 
Location: Woodward, OK
View ryan123450's Twitter Profile
Re: The Star Trek Lit-verse Reading Guide

Thanks Christopher. You've always been a great help, especially in the work building this project.
__________________

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 03:05 AM   #18
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral
 
Location: West Haven, UT, USA
Re: The Star Trek Lit-verse Reading Guide

@ryan: Nice site.

You've divided things into more sections than I personally would've, which can be a bit confusing, and I think there are more numbered/connected DS9 novels that you ought to have added, but, overall, I like what you've done.

The only nitpick I have with what you've included is that Zero Sum Game needs to be listed in bright blue font because it's actually part of the DS9 Relaunch (the final page even says 'The Saga of Deep Space Nine will continue').
__________________
Starbuck: We're all friendlies. So, let's just... be friendly.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 03:08 AM   #19
Skywalker
Admiral
 
Skywalker's Avatar
 
Re: The Star Trek Lit-verse Reading Guide

Awesome work! This would have been a handy resource when I was putting together my personal chronological reading order (with the help of Thrawn) a while back.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 03:24 AM   #20
JWolf
Commodore
 
JWolf's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Re: The Star Trek Lit-verse Reading Guide

ryan123450 wrote: View Post
The other main feature for now (more to come later) is the timeline of books, chapter by chapter, since Star Trek Nemesis. Basically a simplified version of the VotI timeline. This part I know needs some tweaking, but I'm hoping you all will help me work out a few final particulars there.
Actually, it's not simplified. It's more complicated. It should be color coded to show where the books fit. VoTI was setup to show where the book fit overall.

Other then that complaint, the site is very nice.
__________________
Jon
JWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 01:58 PM   #21
ryan123450
Commodore
 
ryan123450's Avatar
 
Location: Woodward, OK
View ryan123450's Twitter Profile
Re: The Star Trek Lit-verse Reading Guide

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
@ryan: Nice site.

You've divided things into more sections than I personally would've, which can be a bit confusing, and I think there are more numbered/connected DS9 novels that you ought to have added, but, overall, I like what you've done.
More connections I don't know about.... Do tell!

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Awesome work! This would have been a handy resource when I was putting together my personal chronological reading order (with the help of Thrawn) a while back.
Yes every time someone came around for the past couple years asking about reading order I was wishing I was ready to share the site, but I wanted it to at least be as complete as it is now before I published it. I was constantly slowed down in my progress by real life.

JWolf wrote: View Post
Actually, it's not simplified. It's more complicated. It should be color coded to show where the books fit. VoTI was setup to show where the book fit overall.

Other then that complaint, the site is very nice.
Well I know I didn't include a main part of the book as opposed to all the little parts, but what I considered simplified was that I didn't want to get so specific as to include parts of chapters the way VotI did. However based on comments further upthread I've decided to add another page that just gives a reading order of all the Post-Nemesis books without breaking them up into chapters at all. So between the two pages, both types of information will be available. I just hope that I keep getting more time than usual to get work in.
__________________

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 04:42 PM   #22
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral
 
Location: West Haven, UT, USA
Re: The Star Trek Lit-verse Reading Guide

@Ryan: My comment was based mainly on the idea/opinion that everything's connected unless there are blatant contradictions that affect the later narrative, so I would have personally included most of the DS9 numbered and pre-Relaunch unnumbered novels.

The same thing applies to the TNG and VOY lists as well.
__________________
Starbuck: We're all friendlies. So, let's just... be friendly.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 06:55 PM   #23
ryan123450
Commodore
 
ryan123450's Avatar
 
Location: Woodward, OK
View ryan123450's Twitter Profile
Re: The Star Trek Lit-verse Reading Guide

Well I have just continued the paradigm from Turtletrekker's Charting the Novelverse thread that only spelled out the stories that were specifically referenced by other stories in the Lit-verse, basically even despite any contradictions between them.

I think that was just a natural outgrowth from the "What do you have to read to understand Articles of the Federation?" series of threads.
__________________

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 07:31 PM   #24
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: The Star Trek Lit-verse Reading Guide

I think Ryan's way is the best method here. Trying to include everything that isn't blatantly contradicted would get way to complicated and confusing, IMO.
__________________
My name is Max. My world is fire and blood. - Mad Max: Fury Road coming May 15, 2015
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 08:22 PM   #25
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral
 
Location: West Haven, UT, USA
Re: The Star Trek Lit-verse Reading Guide

^ Compiling full lists for DS9 and VOY wasn't that difficult, actually (I already did it), and TNG shouldn't be too difficult either.
__________________
Starbuck: We're all friendlies. So, let's just... be friendly.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 02:17 AM   #26
JWolf
Commodore
 
JWolf's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Re: The Star Trek Lit-verse Reading Guide

ryan123450 wrote: View Post
JWolf wrote: View Post
Actually, it's not simplified. It's more complicated. It should be color coded to show where the books fit. VoTI was setup to show where the book fit overall.

Other then that complaint, the site is very nice.
Well I know I didn't include a main part of the book as opposed to all the little parts, but what I considered simplified was that I didn't want to get so specific as to include parts of chapters the way VotI did. However based on comments further upthread I've decided to add another page that just gives a reading order of all the Post-Nemesis books without breaking them up into chapters at all. So between the two pages, both types of information will be available. I just hope that I keep getting more time than usual to get work in.
There's no need to sub-divide chapters. And you also don't need this second page. Just take the main bit of the books and color code them in red like VoTi did (I think) and that's how we will know where each book actually fits. Simple really. One page and two colors and it's simplified.
__________________
Jon
JWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 03:10 AM   #27
ryan123450
Commodore
 
ryan123450's Avatar
 
Location: Woodward, OK
View ryan123450's Twitter Profile
Re: The Star Trek Lit-verse Reading Guide

Well I really didn't like the way the VotI timeline was formatted. That's why I didn't set out to recreate it.
__________________

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 05:11 AM   #28
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: The Star Trek Lit-verse Reading Guide

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
^ Compiling full lists for DS9 and VOY wasn't that difficult, actually (I already did it), and TNG shouldn't be too difficult either.
There are plenty of other sites that have a complete list of all of the books, so it's kind of nice to have one that's focused just on the stuff that's interconnected.
__________________
My name is Max. My world is fire and blood. - Mad Max: Fury Road coming May 15, 2015
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 12:16 PM   #29
Thrawn
Rear Admiral
 
Thrawn's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: The Star Trek Lit-verse Reading Guide

JD wrote: View Post
DigificWriter wrote: View Post
^ Compiling full lists for DS9 and VOY wasn't that difficult, actually (I already did it), and TNG shouldn't be too difficult either.
There are plenty of other sites that have a complete list of all of the books, so it's kind of nice to have one that's focused just on the stuff that's interconnected.
Absolutely.
__________________
The Almighty Star Trek Lit-Verse Reading Order Flowchart - be confused no longer about what to read next, or what to read first.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 02:42 PM   #30
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: The Star Trek Lit-verse Reading Guide

Fantastic site! Trek lit deserves something like this
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.