Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 30 2013, 05:41 AM   #61
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Re: Finding goofs in your tv shows...

Data's Cat wrote: View Post
Tons of other examples- Indian elephants in Africa.... I better stop, I could keep going all night.
Regardless of the geographical setting, if a movie or TV show requires trained elephants, then the Asiatic species is the only game in town. You can't train African elephants to do squat.

It's a convention, like 28-year-old actors playing teenagers.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
They give us sounds we expect to hear. A fight never sounds like a fight in a film, for instance.
It's like in cartoons, every large winged animal always makes the same noise, be it a hawk, an eagle or a pterosaur.
And in every jungle movie you always hear the sound of the laughing kookaburra, no matter whether it's set in Africa, Asia or the Amazon rain forest. (Kookaburras, in case anyone doesn't know, are native to Australia.)

Last edited by scotpens; July 30 2013 at 05:52 AM.
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 03:29 PM   #62
Forbin
Admiral

My wife is a bit of a student of historical clothing and hairstyles. She shakes her head at a lot of period shows and films when they get things wrong. One of her pet peeves is showing a woman wearing panty hose before it was invented.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 03:58 PM   #63
Data's Cat
Lieutenant

scotpens wrote: View Post
And in every jungle movie you always hear the sound of the laughing kookaburra, no matter whether it's set in Africa, Asia or the Amazon rain forest. (Kookaburras, in case anyone doesn't know, are native to Australia.)
Yes, I have noticed that.
Old July 31 2013, 06:56 AM   #64
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Also in medical shows, all lab tests take a couple hours max.

There's one episode of Stargate where they gate to a planet that's being sucked into a black hole.

Okay, this premise requires they just make up a lot of science, that's expected, but the made up science should be consistent. For most of the episode, the closer you are to the gate, the slower time passes. Then at the very end when O'Neall is rapeling down toward the gate, the glass on the window breaks. The shards fall from his perspective in slow motion, then they speed up as they approach him. So in this shot, time passes slower FARTHER away from the gate.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 04:01 PM   #65
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

propita wrote: View Post
Try seeing a TV show or movie where they're mentioning meds...and having your spouse comment on it ("That guys has problems." "No one uses that anymore." "Those drugs interact badly. No one would prescribe both."). Ah, married to a pharmacist.
I suspect most of us roll our eyes when we see our own professions portrayed on screen. Many years ago, David Letterman had a professional welder review FLASHDANCE. He was not impressed by Jennifer Beal's technique!

And don't get me started on how publishing is portrayed on TV and movies . . ..

Last edited by Greg Cox; July 31 2013 at 05:46 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 05:33 PM   #66
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I suspect most of us roll our eyes when we see our own professions portrayed on screen. Many years ago, David Letterman once had a professional welder review FLASHDANCE. He was not impressed by Jennifer Beal's technique!
Yes, I heard about that. Professional welders keep sparks to a minimum for safety, but the director of Flashdance wanted to see lots of sparks. That's how the audience knows that Beals' character is welding and not just holding an oxyacetylene torch for shits and giggles.
Old July 31 2013, 06:27 PM   #67
propita
Rear Admiral

I remember, when going back to college, a coupled movies came put that my professors were excited about. Less for accuracy and more for laughs:

My geology professor was having fun with, I think it was, "The Core" and offers extra credit for a one-page essay discussing errors.

My Classical Athens professor (god, what a cool lady and fantastic lecturer!) organized a meetup to watch "Alexander" and discuss things afterward. She DID like the elephant-and-horse-rearing scene, and showed us a picture of an ancient coiner that image.

So errors and laziness an. Be fun and even educational! Lol.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 08:55 PM   #68
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
My favorite was in Castle when they were in the morgue and Lanie was performing an autopsy. She took a blood sample and walked out of the room; Castle and Beckett had about a 30 second conversation and then Lanie came back in with the results.
Old August 1 2013, 02:55 AM   #69
nightwind1
Commodore

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Try seeing a TV show or movie where they're mentioning meds...and having your spouse comment on it ("That guys has problems." "No one uses that anymore." "Those drugs interact badly. No one would prescribe both."). Ah, married to a pharmacist.
I suspect most of us roll our eyes when we see our own professions portrayed on screen. Many years ago, David Letterman had a professional welder review FLASHDANCE. He was not impressed by Jennifer Beal's technique!

And don't get me started on how publishing is portrayed on TV and movies . . ..
I've got a friend who's a real-life Barry Allen- a crime lab chemist.

Don't get him started on CSI.

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 03:28 AM   #70
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

And their portrayal of software engineers is totally unrealistic. I mean, they portray software engineers as going home at 5pm, and taking the weekend off! Ridiculous.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 03:42 AM   #71
Forbin
Admiral

nightwind1 wrote: View Post
I've got a friend who's a real-life Barry Allen- a crime lab chemist.

Don't get him started on CSI.
Likewise, I know a sheriff online who despises CSI. He's never known one that carries a gun, goes on raids, arrests people. His main comment was "keep those goddam lab geeks away from my crime scene until I'm done with my investigation!"
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 03:59 PM   #72
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Kirby wrote: View Post
JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
My favorite was in Castle when they were in the morgue and Lanie was performing an autopsy. She took a blood sample and walked out of the room; Castle and Beckett had about a 30 second conversation and then Lanie came back in with the results.
Oh, God, I remember that one. At least on CSI, it usually takes at least a commercial break to get the lab results back, allowing for the illusion that some time has passed, but, yeah, that moment on CASTLE was beyond ridiculous.

I'm guessing the writers simply found themselves in a bind. They needed to get introduce that clue in a timely fashion and there was simply no convenient way to insert any lag time into the narrative.

Last edited by Greg Cox; August 1 2013 at 05:05 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2013, 12:40 AM   #73
propita
Rear Admiral

Prosecutors HATE CSI, I'm told. Jurors believe that everything really is that cut and dried, that circumstantial evidence isn't valid, that things must be proved beyond a shadow of a doubt instead of reasonable doubt.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2013, 11:58 PM   #74
MacLeod
Admiral

And I always thought most of what is on scripted TV is make believe, be it a Soap Opera or a Space Opera.

As for circumstantial evidence in a trial, a Jury an choose to believe it, some of it or none of it.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 02:41 AM   #75
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Prosecutors HATE CSI, I'm told. Jurors believe that everything really is that cut and dried, that circumstantial evidence isn't valid, that things must be proved beyond a shadow of a doubt instead of reasonable doubt.
I wonder how they feel about L&O.

And if they hate CSI so much because of this, they must really hate Perry Mason. The prosecutor on that show (Hamilton Burger) is so incompetent that he never won a case!