Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 29 2013, 07:21 PM   #91
Death
Admiral

Re: And now The Newsroom....

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Ah, yes...I agree - there's also the phone hacking thing that he's involved in, too.

But she still is in-the-know on the TMI personal attacks on Will's character to keep him in check (did she even say she ordered that?) - I do honestly wonder how much dirt she is aware of and has given either tacit or explicit approval to execute.

Or is this strictly about some guy with mommy issues who wants to prove to the world that he can run a company and be just as ruthless and shrude as she is - proving that he is a worthy heir apparent to the family jewels?
I doubt his mother has any clue just how dirty he plays, she was suprised and angery when she found out about his ordering the phone hacking. She is too trusting, because he is her son.
Old July 29 2013, 08:15 PM   #92
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

A good episode last night, by in large, but I thought Sloan was wasted... The rat-a-tat-tat dialog she had with Joe seemed forced.. She is a SMART character and the writing in that scene seemed off base with her.. I get that she was flustered, but it just seemed off.. Maybe it was just the pace... Hmmm...

Some really funny bits that my wife even laughed at, and she's not a fan of the show...
Old July 29 2013, 09:05 PM   #93
danellis
Lieutenant Commander

I thought the Don chair thing was typical Sorkin, but funny none-the-less.

I thought there were a couple of odd camera zooms this week. Best way I can think of to describe them is how in handicam footage you get lots of sudden zooms where the person has missed the change in action. As Will went into the safe (that thing with him not having actually recorded the confession was another typical Sorkin move) is the obvious one, but there were others, both before and after.

dJE.
danellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 09:28 PM   #94
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I think they're called snap-zooms. I hate them - that and the shaky-cam nonsense. Cinema verite crap.
Old July 29 2013, 09:44 PM   #95
BizarroStormy
Fleet Captain

They used them to a spectacular degree on ''NYPD Blue'', but they never added a thing to the story.
BizarroStormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 12:23 AM   #96
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Very good episode. But, dammit, I want more broadcast segments! Olivia Munn is doing a great job on the show which is good because I really like her and am disappointed her stint as a "contributor" on The Daily Show didn't last, I liked her on there. Here, though? She's been great. Though given the way she's behaved I'm surprised that she still has a job after the Fukushima incident last season and now recommending against a viable stock during a money segment. (Something politics really shouldn't be injected into.) Now she's a potential leak risk.

Jim on the campaign bus has gotten interesting and, really, I wish his "snapping" had been a bit grander and sooner as he's been treated like shit on the bus. But, damn, if it didn't make the point on how the media handled the election. I sort of wish his little campaign-trail reports had even revealed the problems on the trail and how he was being treated.

The nonsense with Maggie? Ugh. You know, I like her okay but she's a bit nutso especially with the medication reactions segment(s.) And we obviously all know Dev will bring in his OWS chick/friend as the inside-source for the coverage of it.
Old August 2 2013, 03:59 PM   #97
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I guess I'm the contrarian of this thread. I thought this episode was really poor in comparison to the previous two. It seems like after a brief spell of addressing the criticism of the first season, Sorkin may be heading right back to that style. The clowns are back. Will can't operate a tape recorder, Don can't handle the complexities of sitting in a chair, and Maggie is a straight-up loon. The Jim material was Sorkin at his most sanctimonious. Nina Howard's character was apparently given a personality transplant in order to unnecessarily drag out the Will/Mac non-relationship.

I did think the scene between Will and Charlie towards the start of the episode was good.
Old August 2 2013, 09:03 PM   #98
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

The stuff with Will, the chair and Maggie with the medicine did strike me as silly. (Though Maggie one signed piece of paper away from the mental ward as it is.) Though, keep in mind, Will last season had a hard time operating pants. The tape recorder didn't seem to much a stretch. (Was it an actual tape recorder or a digital recording device?) It's happened to me a couple of times mostly from unfamiliarity with the device's peculiarities. The stuff with the chair, though, that was a bit painful.
Old August 3 2013, 04:52 AM   #99
Anwar
Vice Admiral

The way Reese was acting, it was like he already knew the recorder had nothing. I'm guessing he somehow got to the safe and erased it.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2013, 05:18 AM   #100
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

You ever had a punk try to treat you like a twit AND push your mum around?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 01:34 AM   #101
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Finally saw the ep on my DVR and I thought it was pretty decent. The Genoa thing is pretty fascinating in its evolution; continuing to really like Sloan - her and Charlie are my favorite characters to this point; loved Don's chair antics; not really liking Will hanging out with TMI lady now but...eh...

The one thing I'm finding most pointless right now is Jim's little escapade. The elections are over, Obama won - yay! Yes , we remember. I know this show subsists off news and politics of the recent past, but this particular bit feels like someone just dug up a two-year old body and proceeded to dunk it in a tank of acid ...y'know...just to make sure an' all that. Yeah, Romney was a big fat dud, but this just seems like pissing on the man's grave now. Can some people not move on? Other than that, I thought this was a pretty good ep.
Old August 4 2013, 02:26 AM   #102
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

I think it's less "pissing on Romney's grave" and more attacking how the media acted during the election, like them not pressing harder questions on Romney's inconsistencies during the election.
Old August 4 2013, 04:02 AM   #103
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

To be fair the last election was a joke on both sides. No one asked any real questiosn to either candidate.
Old August 4 2013, 05:41 AM   #104
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Oh my god.

What if close to the last episode Jim gets his half hour with the candidate... And what if Romney plays Romney?

No script.

Just "Jim" with Aaron in his earwig hammering it out against the devil.

If anyone would want to rewrite history a little, buy a smidgen of redemption, it'd be Mit Romney, Lando Calrisian or Godzilla.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 08:04 AM   #105
Death
Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Oh my god.

What if close to the last episode Jim gets his half hour with the candidate... And what if Romney plays Romney?

No script.

Just "Jim" with Aaron in his earwig hammering it out against the devil.

If anyone would want to rewrite history a little, buy a smidgen of redemption, it'd be Mit Romney, Lando Calrisian or Godzilla.
That would be pretty cool.