Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 30 2013, 11:20 PM   #46
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: George Lucas - Why the Vitriol?

Mysterion wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
That's exactly the point. But that's not only the case with George Lucas. The better the CGI, the worse the films, at least that's my impression. Nowadays everyone can do exactly what he or she wants. That wasn't the case 20 years ago. Compromise makes the better films, simply because less is more.
Case in point: Jaws is a much better movie than it might have been because they couldn't get their mechanical shark to work right. Nowadays you just Sharknado.
One reason why I like the Nolan Batman films so much. Nolan insisted on doing as much on set as possible. The suit is real, the Tumbler is real, the Batpod is real (except for that wheel twist), the Bat is real (mounted on moving cranes). They basically imposed limits on themselves. And it shows.

They could have gone Avengers, Spiderman or Man of Steel, with lots and lots of CGI action scenes, but they didn't. But the end result is more low key, and a lot more exciting. While over the top CGI action scenes are just numbing.

Also great are happy accidents. Most famous example:

Ford was too sick to film the originally planned fight scene, so they just shot the guy.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 01:53 AM   #47
crookeddy
Fleet Captain

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
crookeddy wrote: View Post
So what is on the "theatrical version" disc of my DVDs? Is its till the special edition? How is it different then whats on disc one?
The 2006 bonus discs are the laserdisc video from 20 years ago dumped onto DVD. It looks terrible on modern equipment, and has a number of glitches and artifacts from the video transfer process. I personally can't watch it on any of my home screens it looks so bad, and I am normally fairly tolerant of "low rez" video.
So shoudl I just sell tehse on eBay and buy the Blu Rays so I can at least get some extras for the PT?
crookeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 01:54 AM   #48
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

To be fair, this is not from something normally thought to be part of what we mean when we say "the Star Wars films".
Old July 31 2013, 04:18 AM   #49
Gaith
Rear Admiral

So shoudl I just sell tehse on eBay and buy the Blu Rays so I can at least get some extras for the PT?
If you care about the pre-Special Edition OT, so long as you own the legit dvds/blu-rays, you should hope to acquire the sd/hd versions of Harmy's Despecialized OT editions. They're basically indistinguishable from the best OT restoration even paid professionals could do at this point.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 04:01 PM   #50
suarezguy
Commodore

I don't hate him but I do hate certain decisions he's made.

George Lucas created two of the most beloved film franchises of all time - Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Yet when his name gets brought up on the internet its usually to remind us what an awful writer/director/person he is. Why is that?
I think a lot of it stems from his initially not allowing the original OT onto DVD, dismissing it as rough drafts and ignoring that other people also contributed to them; this led some fans to be especially critical of the prequels, particularly their CG effects, as a way of emphasizing how much they preferred the o-OT and how Lucas changed for the worse.
However, there was also a lot of vitriol against Berman and Braga who didn't suppress any original versions.

Also, objectively speaking - why is the OT better than the PT? (Jar-Jar notwithstanding)
I think the prequels are at least on par with Jedi but the characters, story and action were much more interesting in the original two films. The prequels also have great effects but at times overuse them although I think it was interesting and certainly ambitious to use formal yet conflicted characters.

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
And, to be fair, it's not just Lucas. The Great Steven Spierberg's re-whatever-ing of E.T. by replacing shotguns with walkie-talkies in the hands of all the officer extras comes to mind. Made me want to swallow a bull...er...antenna.
But Spielberg did admit a couple of years ago that it was the wrong decision and said he would not do anything like that in the future.
And even in 2002 he released the original version along with the revision on DVD.
Old August 2 2013, 11:23 PM   #51
thumbtack
Commodore

Because he makes movies for kids and, once you're no longer a kid, you can feel left out.
Old August 2 2013, 11:39 PM   #52
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^ Doesn't stop many of us from gushing over Pixar movies, though does it? Nice try, but: no.
Old August 3 2013, 06:23 AM   #53
maneth
Captain

Many adult viewers of the OT thought that the droids were silly, so the antipathy to Jar Jar shouldn't come as a surprise.

The story and characters in the OT had a heart and were more important than the admittedly impressive FX. The prequels suffered from the fact that the audience knew what the end result would be, i.e. Darth Vader. The journey was visually impressive but lacked the heart of the PT. Besides, while both Portman and Christensen are reasonably talented actors, they had absolutely zero chemistry on screen so that their romance fell completely flat in Episode II. The contrast with Fisher and Ford is about as stark as it gets. That Leia and Han had some feelings for each other was obvious from the start, although it took a while to figure out exactly what those feelings were!

Besides, nostalgia plays a big part in this. It will be interesting to see the reactions of the viewers of the coming trilogy, as the youngest of those weren't even born when the prequels came out.
Old August 3 2013, 07:16 AM   #54
Lt. Cheka Wey
Commander

I love it how everybody talks about Lucas being a savvy businessman but he almost killed the franchise. When the Thrawn trilogy came out nobdy knew if it will sell or not.
Lt. Cheka Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2013, 02:32 PM   #55
The Wormhole
Admiral

Lt. Cheka Wey wrote: View Post
I love it how everybody talks about Lucas being a savvy businessman but he almost killed the franchise.
I don't know. While the prequels may not be as highly regarded as the OT, he still managed to generate hype and excitement for all three. Especially Episode 3, which is pretty impressive considering it had to contend with bad word of mouth from the previous two movies.
Old August 3 2013, 03:41 PM   #56
Lt. Cheka Wey
Commander

I am talking about the marketing people in 1994 when the Thrawn Trilogy came out. They had no idea if it will succeed or not.
Old August 3 2013, 04:15 PM   #57
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I am talking about the marketing people in 1994 when the Thrawn Trilogy came out. They had no idea if it will succeed or not.
There was no way those books weren't going to be successful. People had been waiting for nearly a decade for a follow-up to the Original Trilogy.

Paramount could have learned a lesson or two from Lucas about not over-saturating the market with product. A lesson I fear Disney is going to ignore now.
Old August 3 2013, 04:22 PM   #58
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

People hate Lucas for the same reason they hate anything or anyone else: he did things they don't like. How dare he make changes that I don't personally approve of? How dare he make films that I didn't enjoy? How dare he have opinions that aren't mine? That type of thing.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2013, 06:31 PM   #59
Lt. Cheka Wey
Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
There was no way those books weren't going to be successful. People had been waiting for nearly a decade for a follow-up to the Original Trilogy.

Paramount could have learned a lesson or two from Lucas about not over-saturating the market with product. A lesson I fear Disney is going to ignore now.
That's not how it seemed in 94, just listen to a Zahn interview about it.
Old August 3 2013, 06:43 PM   #60
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^ Even if true, a plain ol' novel - with no movie, TV, video game or tie tie-in push - is hardly comparable to making a new movie, which any studio would have greenlit in a second at any point after Jedi. The world waited on George, not vice versa.