RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,537
Posts: 5,513,043
Members: 25,141
Currently online: 488
Newest member: dpmccain

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 2 2013, 07:13 AM   #1
Admiral Archer
Ensign
 
Question About "Of Gods and Men" Soundtrack...

Hey, I have a very serious question about one of the non-profit fan films titled "Of Gods and Men". Specifically, the soundtrack, which is now for sale (!?) has a track titled "End Credits" which contains, however slightly remixed, the theme from "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" by Jerry Goldsmith. My question is, how is this legal? The author of the music did not even say "Contains Theme from 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture' by Jerry Goldsmith" within a footnote or anything. Granted, the track is a slight remix, but I feel the artist should have credited the late composer. And while I'm at it, does he at least have permission from CBS or the owner to the rights to Jerry Goldsmith's music to do this? As a loyal fan of the late Mr. Goldsmith, I would be appalled to find out that someone is blatantly ripping off his music and calling it their own (which this artist appears to be doing, though I admit I hope I am wrong). So now my final question: how do I alert CBS or whomever holds the rights to Jerry Goldsmith's music that someone is not only selling remixes of their property, but not even crediting the true artist? My sincerest apologies to the artist if he does indeed have the rights to use the music, but I still feet a footnote to credit Jerry Goldsmith should be included. After all, Mr. Goldsmith was sure to credit Alexander Courage in the films featuring the TOS fanfare*, even if they were remixes. The same tradition should still hold true today.


*Alexander Courage's music was also featured in the same track, yet just as it was with Jerry Goldsmith, his name did not appear in a footnote. Both artists deserve better.
Admiral Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2013, 09:52 AM   #2
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral
 
MauriceNavidad's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: Question About "Of Gods and Men" Soundtrack...

Trek music is used so often without permission it's not even funny. In general when people mention reporting music piracy, I suggest starting at a site like this (link).
__________________
* * *
“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”
― Winston S. Churchill
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2013, 11:33 AM   #3
Admiral Archer
Ensign
 
Re: Question About "Of Gods and Men" Soundtrack...

I suppose I should explain my stance. I am fine with licensed Star Trek music being used for NON PROFIT. I have observed many fans using songs directly taken from existing film soundtracks (such as Star Trek: Valkyrie intro on youtube using the end credits music from "Star Trek: First Contact" and "Star Trek: Nemesis") and I actually don't care that the music is from a copyrighted source, because it is non profit. Also, I have no problem with such videos so long as they take time to credit the original artist (again, Star Trek: Valkyrie comes to mind, due to the fact that they at least credit Jerry Goldsmith, who did the themes used in the video). What disturbs me about this artist is that A) he is claiming HE wrote the music, without giving credit to the original artist, and B) he is making a profit off of it.
Admiral Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2013, 08:49 PM   #4
wjaspers
Lieutenant Commander
 
wjaspers's Avatar
 
Re: Question About "Of Gods and Men" Soundtrack...

Admiral Archer wrote: View Post
So now my final question: how do I alert CBS or whomever holds the rights to Jerry Goldsmith's music that someone is not only selling remixes of their property, but not even crediting the true artist?
This is a joke, right?

Do not know how things go in the US, but in europe you could try the Gestapo or the Stasi. Sorry, my mistake, they are out of business now.

Anyhow, look this and scroll down: http://www.edgen.com/ogam/
wjaspers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2013, 09:13 PM   #5
Tom
Rear Admiral
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Location: In your Mind!
Re: Question About "Of Gods and Men" Soundtrack...

If you have any other issues with STOGAM please PM me.
__________________
AP - Star Trek: Renegades - Starring Walter Koenig, Tim Russ, Robert Picardo & many more - Coming early 2015 - www.startrekrenegades.com

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here

Last edited by Tom; August 2 2013 at 09:41 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2013, 10:03 PM   #6
Captain Atkin
Commander
 
Captain Atkin's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: Question About "Of Gods and Men" Soundtrack...

Admiral Archer wrote: View Post
I suppose I should explain my stance. I am fine with licensed Star Trek music being used for NON PROFIT. I have observed many fans using songs directly taken from existing film soundtracks (such as Star Trek: Valkyrie intro on youtube using the end credits music from "Star Trek: First Contact" and "Star Trek: Nemesis") and I actually don't care that the music is from a copyrighted source, because it is non profit. Also, I have no problem with such videos so long as they take time to credit the original artist (again, Star Trek: Valkyrie comes to mind, due to the fact that they at least credit Jerry Goldsmith, who did the themes used in the video). What disturbs me about this artist is that A) he is claiming HE wrote the music, without giving credit to the original artist, and B) he is making a profit off of it.
I just listened to the track. It has a few notes that are similar to the TMP track, but it is not 'note-for-note'. There are very obvious differences between the two. I think it is safe to say that it was done as a homage to the original series. It is meant to invoke the feel of the original series, without using the original music.

Nevertheless, the artist DID credit Jerry Goldsmith on his website:

________________________________________

Note: It has come to my attention that I did not properly credit Jerry Goldsmith for his work in the themes and for this I truly apologize. When the album was first released I made sure let everyone know the track with his work was always free and credit was due. Over the years, the page has shifted somewhat.

Thank you Jerry Goldsmith for your wonderful music.

*Contains music by Jerry Goldsmith
**This is a free track and always has been.



For mroe information on the film, please visit:
http://www.justindurban.com/star-tre...-and-men-2008/
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2013, 12:37 AM   #7
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Question About "Of Gods and Men" Soundtrack...

wjaspers wrote: View Post
This is a joke, right?

Do not know how things go in the US, but in europe you could try the Gestapo or the Stasi. Sorry, my mistake, they are out of business now.

Anyhow, look this and scroll down: http://www.edgen.com/ogam/
I fail to see why you're so angry with the OP. By your own admission,

"When the album was first released I made sure let everyone know the track with his work was always free and credit was due. Over the years, the page has shifted somewhat. "
So you've made the necessary correction or adjustment. Good.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2013, 02:19 AM   #8
Admiral Archer
Ensign
 
Re: Question About "Of Gods and Men" Soundtrack...

Captain Atkin wrote: View Post
Admiral Archer wrote: View Post
I suppose I should explain my stance. I am fine with licensed Star Trek music being used for NON PROFIT. I have observed many fans using songs directly taken from existing film soundtracks (such as Star Trek: Valkyrie intro on youtube using the end credits music from "Star Trek: First Contact" and "Star Trek: Nemesis") and I actually don't care that the music is from a copyrighted source, because it is non profit. Also, I have no problem with such videos so long as they take time to credit the original artist (again, Star Trek: Valkyrie comes to mind, due to the fact that they at least credit Jerry Goldsmith, who did the themes used in the video). What disturbs me about this artist is that A) he is claiming HE wrote the music, without giving credit to the original artist, and B) he is making a profit off of it.
I just listened to the track. It has a few notes that are similar to the TMP track, but it is not 'note-for-note'. There are very obvious differences between the two. I think it is safe to say that it was done as a homage to the original series. It is meant to invoke the feel of the original series, without using the original music.

Nevertheless, the artist DID credit Jerry Goldsmith on his website:

________________________________________

Note: It has come to my attention that I did not properly credit Jerry Goldsmith for his work in the themes and for this I truly apologize. When the album was first released I made sure let everyone know the track with his work was always free and credit was due. Over the years, the page has shifted somewhat.

Thank you Jerry Goldsmith for your wonderful music.

*Contains music by Jerry Goldsmith
**This is a free track and always has been.



For mroe information on the film, please visit:
http://www.justindurban.com/star-tre...-and-men-2008/
Well I feel horrible now. I'm so sorry, everyone. Please believe me when I say I really did want to be proven wrong. The fact of the matter is, when I saw OGAM, I was cheering at the end credits because someone had the idea to actually do an homage to Jerry Goldsmith. Hearing the theme in the end credits tied the movie more to the classic Star Trek, for me, more than ANY of the castmembers (who were still awesome to see again in any case). I am relieved that this has been resolved. Now if you will excuse me, I'm off to eat my hat.
Admiral Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2013, 05:20 PM   #9
Tom
Rear Admiral
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Location: In your Mind!
Re: Question About "Of Gods and Men" Soundtrack...

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
wjaspers wrote: View Post
This is a joke, right?

Do not know how things go in the US, but in europe you could try the Gestapo or the Stasi. Sorry, my mistake, they are out of business now.

Anyhow, look this and scroll down: http://www.edgen.com/ogam/
I fail to see why you're so angry with the OP. By your own admission,

"When the album was first released I made sure let everyone know the track with his work was always free and credit was due. Over the years, the page has shifted somewhat. "
So you've made the necessary correction or adjustment. Good.
Therin, wjaspers is not Justin Durbin so that was not his admission at all. Justin has not posted in this thread.
__________________
AP - Star Trek: Renegades - Starring Walter Koenig, Tim Russ, Robert Picardo & many more - Coming early 2015 - www.startrekrenegades.com

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 01:41 AM   #10
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Question About "Of Gods and Men" Soundtrack...

Tom wrote: View Post
wjaspers is not Justin Durbin so that was not his admission at all. Justin has not posted in this thread.
Justin has made his admission on his website. wjaspers posted the URL leading to Justin's admission here in the thread. My point was that, at some time, the credit was not as clear as it is today. Hence Admiral Archer's original complaint.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 02:30 AM   #11
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral
 
Ho Ho Homeier's Avatar
 
Location: Melakon's place
Re: Question About "Of Gods and Men" Soundtrack...

The important thing is, at least credit is now displaying where it should, before the legal beagles discovered it.
__________________
Curly: Oh, you hit Santa Claus. Just for that, no toys! --Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Ho Ho Homeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.