RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,825
Currently online: 538
Newest member: NX3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old August 1 2013, 04:43 AM   #166
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

"When a father and son do not speak, it means there is trouble between them." Martok from Sons and Daughters... thank you General Obvious.
Old August 1 2013, 02:31 PM   #167
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

The Enterprise is hiding inside a nebulae from the Borg, they're desperate, trying to figure out what to do.

And this is what Shelby talks about with Riker;

SHELBY: You're in my way.
Because that's the perfect time to discuss career issues.

DS9 Chimera -- A changeling is harassed by two klingons. The first Klingon pulls out a knife and stabs him. He reacts by stabbing the Klingon's friend.

First Klingon: Noooooo! Awwwrrrrrrrrrrr!
You have to see this scene to believe it.

Heart of Glory:
DATA: All routes are equally dangerous.

GEORDI: Which one is the least dangerous?

DATA:There is no significant difference.
Data just said all routes were equally dangerous
Nightdiamond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 02:40 PM   #168
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

Sigokat wrote: View Post
Push The Button wrote: View Post
In "Encounter at Farpoint", Q appears on the bridge in an American military officer's uniform (Army or Marine Corps, I forget which now). Picard snaps at Q about the "costume" he is wearing, which I have always found to be extremely offensive, as if anyone that was serving in a uniformed service prior to the existence of the enlightened ranks of Starfleet is some kind of barbarian or crackpot. Picard never applies this judgement to his own ancestors' military service, however, most notably the Picard that served in the battle of Trafalgar. Hypocrite.

Another really bad line was uttered by (temporarily evil again) Data, proclaiming that the "Sons of Soong" were going to take over the galaxy or some other such nonsense. Ugh.
It was a Marine Corps uniform and I remember reading somewhere years ago was that it was a replica of GEN North's uniform from when he was testifying at the Iran-Contra hearings.

But I agree with you as well. I'm in the Army and my uniform is not a costume!
It's a uniform now, but in the 24th century, it would be a costume for someone to wear (like a reenactment).
Old August 1 2013, 07:35 PM   #169
IzzyAtWarp9
Commander

In the Dixon Hill episode Picard says
"Step on it"
With the bad accent and everything
Old August 1 2013, 07:46 PM   #170
MacLeod
Admiral

Nightdiamond wrote: View Post
The Enterprise is hiding inside a nebulae from the Borg, they're desperate, trying to figure out what to do.

And this is what Shelby talks about with Riker;

SHELBY: You're in my way.
Because that's the perfect time to discuss career issues.

DS9 Chimera -- A changeling is harassed by two klingons. The first Klingon pulls out a knife and stabs him. He reacts by stabbing the Klingon's friend.

First Klingon: Noooooo! Awwwrrrrrrrrrrr!
You have to see this scene to believe it.

Heart of Glory:
DATA: All routes are equally dangerous.

GEORDI: Which one is the least dangerous?

DATA:There is no significant difference.
Data just said all routes were equally dangerous
But then goes onto say there is no signigicant difference, so at least one route must be slighly less dangerous even if it's 0.1%." If all routes are equally different then Data's response should have been "There is no difference"
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 08:01 PM   #171
Sran
Fleet Captain

R. Star wrote: View Post
"When a father and son do not speak, it means there is trouble between them." Martok from Sons and Daughters... thank you General Obvious.
I think that line was included more for viewers who were seeing the Worf-Alexander relationship for the first time and didn't know the history between them.

--Sran
Old August 1 2013, 08:23 PM   #172
scotpens
Vice Admiral

jimbotron wrote: View Post
I've always hated this line from Carol Marcus. It's very clunky and nothing a real person would say:

"I can NOT and will NOT subscribe to your interpretation of this event!"
I say things like that, and I'm a real person (I think).
Old August 1 2013, 09:03 PM   #173
Belz...
Fleet Captain

IzzyatWarp9 wrote: View Post
In the Dixon Hill episode Picard says
"Step on it"
With the bad accent and everything
How is that a bad line ? It's a joke.
Old August 2 2013, 07:41 PM   #174
thumbtack
Commodore

HaplessCrewman wrote: View Post
"You're all astronauts on some kind of star trek...!"

Without a doubt.
Old August 2 2013, 08:14 PM   #175
Jeyl
Commodore

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock wrote:
SAAVIK: How many have paid the price for your impatience? How many have died? How much damage have you done? ...And what is yet to come?
Ok, who are you and what have you done with the real Saavik? Because if you were Saavik, you would know that logically, David using Protomatter would have nothing to do with the deaths of those who have died since Genesis was introduced to Star Trek.
  • Khan murdered the crew of the Regula 1 Station when they refused to reveal the details of the Genesis Device, not because David used Protomatter.
  • Khan detonated the Genesis Device because it was his only remaining chance to kill Kirk out of revenge, not because David used Protomatter.
  • The Klingons wanted the Genesis device even if it didn't work, not because David used Protomatter.
  • The USS Grissom was destroyed because some Klingon gunner miscalculated his aim, not because David used Protomatter.

And this is probably the biggest piece against Saavik's "guilt inducing" speech,
  • Spock, who was killed in the last movie, IS NOW ALIVE THANKS TO DAVID USING PROTOMATTER!

So logically, not only has David not done anything wrong by using Protomatter, he helped ensure that Spock would come back and everyone else would eventually save Earth in the next movie. So the correct answer to your question Saavik?

-1 people have died because of David.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2013, 08:23 PM   #176
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

Nope. If David hadn't used pronto matter, the Genesis Project would never have gotten as far as having a starship (Reliant) searching for a test planet. Then never have been to Ceti Alpha 5, and in turn find Khan. Khan may have been found, later on, by another crew or not at all. None of WoK would have happened had David not used protomatter.
Old August 2 2013, 11:04 PM   #177
MacLeod
Admiral

^Beat me to it. But there is no direct evidence to say that using proto-matter was wrong.

As far as we know the Genesis Cave worked.
As for the Genesis Planet itself, was it Regula that was terraformed or did the Genesis device create a new planet. In the case of the former it was never meat to be detonated that far away from it's target, and in the case of the later it was never designed to form a planet.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2013, 11:19 PM   #178
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

I hated the whole "protomatter" explanation as to why the Genesis planet has to be going haywire. Why set up David as a jerk?

How about the fact that the planet was formed from material from the Mutara Nebula rather than an existing space body? They could have went that angle instead.

Why did the planet even form in the first place? They didn't set up that it could happen like that.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2013, 12:57 AM   #179
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

MacLeod wrote: View Post
^Beat me to it. But there is no direct evidence to say that using proto-matter was wrong.

As far as we know the Genesis Cave worked.
As for the Genesis Planet itself, was it Regula that was terraformed or did the Genesis device create a new planet. In the case of the former it was never meat to be detonated that far away from it's target, and in the case of the later it was never designed to form a planet.
The Genesis Device was in fact designed to form a planet, that was the reason it was designed to do anything at all. However, it was designed to form a planet out of a planet, not out of a nebula, so even without the protomatter, it would have been unstable.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2013, 12:59 AM   #180
LilyThompson
Lieutenant Junior Grade

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post

And I love that movie.
Well, dude, you read my mind. Not only is it out of character, but it's out of place. A better line would have been for him to be silently shaking with anger, if he had to be that emotional at all. It was a great tear-jerking scene until this happened.