Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 29 2013, 03:01 AM   #16
Push The Button
Captain

Re: Being a TOS fan back in the day...

I had both the AMT Enterprise and Klingon Battle Cruiser models, and a Mego Spock figure. As for books, I had (still have somewhere) The Making of Star Trek, David Gerrold's Tribbles book, and The Star Trek Compendium. I also would buy every edition of Starlog that had any Trek-related articles or interviews in it.

I have only made it to one con, a small one back in the early 90's. James Doohan was the featured guest, and I'm glad that I got to see him in person, as Scotty was always one of my favorite characters, and probably the one that I most wanted to be like.

When I was young, I was into ham radio, electronics, model rocketry, early 8-bit video games and computers, and loved NASA and anything to do with space exploration, so I guess I fit the Trek fan profile pretty well.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 03:40 AM   #17
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I've stated before that I think shows back then (pre-VCR) were more special in their way because they were so ephemeral, you never knew if you'd get to see another. There weren't easily accessed sources of information on every detail of a production. It was years after TWOK before I discovered the existence of Space Seed, watched at my cousin's house, also a fan but who hadn't seen it.

I'm not advocating a return to that, there were plenty of minuses, but I think it's a particular feeling that is probably lost today.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 03:43 AM   #18
Warped9
Admiral

Getting my first AMT model of the Enterprise on Christmas Eve was a magical experience. Since then I built a number of AMT Enterprise kits throughout the '70s. Today I have Polar Lights very nice little 1/1000 scale Enterprise kit as well as their gorgeous 1/350 scale Enterprise they released last year. The more recent kits are light years better than the old AMT kit...but you get that magical feeling only once.
Old July 29 2013, 04:20 AM   #19
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I've stated before that I think shows back then (pre-VCR) were more special in their way because they were so ephemeral, you never knew if you'd get to see another. There weren't easily accessed sources of information on every detail of a production.
I'm not advocating a return to that, there were plenty of minuses, but I think it's a particular feeling that is probably lost today.
This is very true. I remember reading about fans who would tape record (on audio) the episodes. I did that myself with Doctor Who, since it was before VCRs.

While it's great to be able to go shopping for all kinds of goodies on eBay, Amazon, ThinkGeek, etc. on any given day and have a package show up 3 weeks later, it's not the same as hunting for 10 or 20 years for one particular book or fanzine and finally finding it.

I'm STILL hunting for some specific books from the '70s - damn, some of them are elusive!

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 04:42 AM   #20
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

I remember hearing about people who would actually move to cities where they were running tos in syndication.

As a child I had this fantasy of owning the whole series and being able to watch any episode I wanted. Of course, at the time I was envisioning it being on reels like the movies they showed us at school.

A few years ago when my husband bought me the whole series for christmas I almost cried when I realized I was holding my childhood dream in my hands.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 04:52 AM   #21
Warped9
Admiral

The way things can be collected today would indeed seem like fantasy back then. We just couldn't envision those things being so accessible and (relatively) inexpensive.

Things I still have from those days:
- The Making Of Star Trek
- The World Of Star Trek
- Star Trek Compendium
- Star Trek Concordance
- Booklet Of General Plans
- Star Fleet Technical Manual
- Star Trek (by James Blish, first adaptations)
- Star Trek Log series (reprints)
- Spock Must Die (by James Blish)

The TAS Star Trek Log adaptations are reprints but I did once have the original first printings. I also have the reprinted collections of the Gold Key Comics I collected back then.
Old July 29 2013, 05:08 AM   #22
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I first discovered the show first run. I was only seven, so I doubt I watched every episode. Batman was the show I didn't miss. Plus I moved to Japan the last year Trek was on. I rediscovered it when we moved back to the States a couple of years later and caught the reruns. Thats when I met my best friend and he was into Star Trek as well. What I didn't have he did and was willing to share. The models never really held my interest, but I loved the books. Both the Making the Star Trek and the Blish adaptations of the episodes. Between Blish and the syndicated edits I probably had some mixed versions of the episodes running around in my head till the video tape era.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 06:12 AM   #23
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Timewalker wrote: View Post
This is very true. I remember reading about fans who would tape record (on audio) the episodes. I did that myself with Doctor Who, since it was before VCRs.
One of the networks could be picked up on an FM stereo on the low end of the spectrum. I made some really nice recordings of different programs off that back in the day.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 12:54 PM   #24
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
but still it took a couple of years to see the last one ("Lights").
Same here. "The Lights of Zetar" eluded me for several years, I think. And ended up being the ultimate nerd experience. I once wrote up the anecdote for my blog:

http://therinofandor.blogspot.com.au...n-trekbbs.html
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 01:03 PM   #25
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Canadian SF writer Robert Sawyer. We got a bit chummy and exchange messages every so often. Sawyer is a HUGE TOS fan.
In 1984, Sawyer approached Pocket Books about writing a Star Trek novel. He prepared four sample chapters (the first four chapters of the book), totaling 20,000 words:
http://www.sfwriter.com/armada.htm

In Armada, are the seeds for the Waldahudin from his Hugo Award-nominated novel Starplex; some of the themes that ultimately ended up in his Hugo Award-nominated Calculating God; and an early version of Chapter 6 ("Afsan at the Hunter's Shrine") of his novel Far-Seer.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 01:53 PM   #26
Warped9
Admiral

I've enjoyed quite a few of Sawyer's books, particularly Starplex.
Old July 29 2013, 05:51 PM   #27
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

The first Star Trek episode I saw first run was "Elaan of Troyius" in 1969 (I was six); and I was hooked (I was really into NASA and the Moonshots then too). Caught up with all the rest of the episodes in syndication in the early 1970ies; and I remember getting the Franz Joseph Tech manual and Enterprise Blueprints in 1975 because I had the chicken pox; my sister knew I like Star Trek, saw it at a bookstore and thought it would cheer me up; and take my mind off scratching.

I also got into computers because of Star trek (not in the way you might think). In 1975, I found out my Jr. high school had a teletype hooked into an HP2000 mainframe via 110 baud acoustic modem; and one of the things you could do on it was play a 'Star Trek' simulation - and I was hooked (I was also sad to learn modern computers of that day had no voice interface.).

I learned my first programming language (after finding out what the SSTR1 program was written in), because I wanted to take what the original programmer had done, and update and modify it a bit more to my (and others) liking. I spent a year creating my own offshoot of that original program (with a nod to the original author), and everybody liked the updates/changes I'd done and I had incorporated a lot of feedback from those of us playing the game at my school. Little did I know it would lead into the career I have today.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 08:41 PM   #28
Mr. Hengist
Ensign

O.K., back in the day....

....For a kid growing up in the 60's, when TOS first started airing the only roughly comparable television show would have been "Lost in Space." I believe that started a year or two before TOS. That is, a tv series involving "high adventure in space." [Rodenberry claimed CBS ripped him off by using some of his ideas for Lost in Space from a pitch meeting they'd had with him.]

So, you have to remember what it was like for us kids (at the time), we're watching Lost in Space.

Then Star Trek comes on and it's night and day in terms of the sophistication level and special effects.

I can't say I remember very much at all from way back then, but one thing I do remember, distinctly, is watching the very first broadcast episode of Star Trek. That one was "The Man trap" [salt creature episode].

I remember the climactic scene where the salt creature is disguised as Bones's ex-girlfriend and is sucking Kirk's salt out of his face while he sits there helpless & screaming. I believe at that point Spock had been incapacitated by the creature.

So Bones comes in, and "Nancy" turns around and looks at Bones and you see the reveal as "Nancy" turns into the disgusting loathsome salt creature, fortunately, Bones phasers it to death. After an uncomfortably excessively long amount of hesitation.

That "reveal" was shocking and freaked me out, I would say at least to a kid it was worthy of the most gruesome twists of any Outer Limits or Twilight Zone.

Of course at the time I didn't get all the Freudian aspects of that "sucking" creature, vagina dentata, etc. but it was still really really disturbing.

So that made a huge impact on me.

Then of course every so often it would go into syndication/strip reruns so at various points over the years I would get into watching the episodes again.

The original broadcast run also pretty much coincided with the Apollo program so you could say they reinforced each other at least in terms of a 60's kid's sense of the zeitgeist.

** In reference to "Elan of Troius" the biggest impression that made on me was the camel toe. Sorry but it's true.
Old August 2 2013, 04:48 AM   #29
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Never in my life had I thought of vagina dentate and the salt vampire. Its mouth looks like it, though. Is that your own thought or are there others who have said they think/see that?

Giving that one some thought. And looking for a screen cap of the other, just for curiosity.
Old August 2 2013, 05:46 AM   #30
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Always made me think of a lamprey.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote