Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 1 2013, 03:15 AM   #61
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Re: FLASH series being developed for The CW

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Ugh. If anyone should be wearing something sleek and form-fitting, it's a speedster. Runners don't wear padding.
The explained the padded suit in the 90s series by saying it was a prototype deep sea suit that molded to his body and expanded to help withstand the pressure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QszlM...ailpage&t=2635
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 03:32 AM   #62
davejames
Vice Admiral

I remember loving the 90s show at the time, but I tried rewatching it recently and... ugh.

Ugh. If anyone should be wearing something sleek and form-fitting, it's a speedster. Runners don't wear padding.
I thought the suit looked fine; for me the problem was Shipp just looked WAY too big and buff to be playing The Flash. Hell, he was almost at Swarzenegger levels, which is not exactly the body type you imagine for a character like that.

And every time he ran, he looked just about as graceful too (which is to say, not at all).
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 03:34 AM   #63
Christopher
Writer

^No, the suit's sculpted "musculature" made Shipp look more muscular than he really was. As stated above, it was a full-body prosthetic that he had to be glued into piece by piece.

Either way, though, I agree -- it didn't suggest a runner's physique.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 03:38 AM   #64
marksound
Fleet Captain

Something like this?

marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 03:43 AM   #65
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

^Give it a texture a la the MoS suit and give the yellow pieces a metallic gold look, and that classic look could be just right.

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
The explained the padded suit in the 90s series by saying it was a prototype deep sea suit that molded to his body and expanded to help withstand the pressure.
I'm well aware, and I always thought it was a stupid explanation. Because if there's something that a speedster would be more likely to wear than a muscle suit, it's a diving suit!

Christopher wrote: View Post
Either way, though, I agree -- it didn't suggest a runner's physique.
Thank god, I'm not the only one.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 03:47 AM   #66
Christopher
Writer

I'm well aware, and I always thought it was a stupid explanation. Because if there's something that a speedster would be more likely to wear than a muscle suit, it's a diving suit!
It's not stupid to acknowledge basic physics. The forces involved in running at that speed would be considerable. The comics' Flash is assumed to generate a force field to protect him from burning up due to atmospheric friction; in the show, it was his costume that gave him that protection. (Although they did tend to ignore this later on.) Plus it gave them a justification for why he needed to wear a special outfit in the first place. Personally I would've liked a sleeker design, something that looked high-tech and not so muscley, but the in-story justification was hardly stupid.

Old August 1 2013, 03:59 AM   #67
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

It's not giving him a special suit that could withstand his speed that's the issue. It's that they used that explanation as the excuse to give him a Batman '89-style muscle suit. They could have put him in something sleeker and used the same explanation (and it would have been closer to reality, since actual wetsuits are form-fitting).

There's a difference between the real-world design and the in-universe explanation used to justify it. My problem is with the former, and the latter doesn't change what it actually is.
Old August 1 2013, 04:10 AM   #68
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Good point about the runner's physique, but I still think what we got was better aesthetically. There weren't many creative options at the time and the only other one I can think of would have been a bright spandex outfit.

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I definitely don't want to see that. I want something more akin to the 90s show. That's the Flash I know best. I've never seen the character as lighthearted despite how he was presented in Justice League or whatever.
Well, that's the thing about the '90s show -- it changed drastically in tone over the course of its season. It started out trying to be as dark and serious as the Burton Batman, but by the season finale it was at full-on Adam West levels of campiness. And really, even well before that, the show's Barry had become more lighthearted than he was in the pilot where he was all about avenging his brother.
The tone did change right after the pilot and they did add a little more camp, but I thought it maintained its darker tone well enough from beginning to end.

Heck, as early as the fourth episode (the third one aired) they introduced the recurring love interest that he had a fairly light and comic romance with.
Amanda Pays? They seemed to have had a good working relationship from the beginning with a bit of a budding romance toward the end. That's what I remember anyway. I don't remember anything overly light or comic.

Back to the suit... The new one has electric seams that light up and emit electricity when he runs. I can see them wanting to add a little something to update the effects and make them special, but I don't know if this would work in live action.

Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 05:01 AM   #69
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

There weren't many creative options at the time and the only other one I can think of would have been a bright spandex outfit.
Gasp--they couldn't do that....That's what...runners wear...!
Old August 1 2013, 05:03 AM   #70
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

I am thinking Christopher meant the private detective Megan Lockhart. She learned his secret in one episode and later appeared in both episodes with the Trickster.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 01:49 PM   #71
Christopher
Writer

Yes, I meant Megan. Tina McGee (Pays) was a regular introduced in the pilot, not a recurring character introduced in the fourth episode.

Old August 1 2013, 02:07 PM   #72
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Amanda Pays is lovely but... Paula Marshall is geometrically "better".

I loved Julio's hair, and pictures of him without dreadlocks look wrong, but what's really amazing is that the actor grew up to be Nick Fury.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 03:29 PM   #73
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Back to the suit... The new one has electric seams that light up and emit electricity when he runs. I can see them wanting to add a little something to update the effects and make them special, but I don't know if this would work in live action.

I would be very happy if we got something close to this. The Flash is one of my favourite New 52 comics and I love this look. Especially the way Francis Manapul draws him.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 05:54 PM   #74
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

I hope they use the more traditional logo from the comics. Not the simplified one used in animation.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 03:27 AM   #75
Dream
Admiral

Grant Gustin cast as Barry Allen for Arrow
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote