CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old August 1 2013, 05:50 PM   #46
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Re: The curse of even Trek Films and the reboot - thought

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
I like them all. Some more, some less. (I haven't seen STID yet, but I'm sure I'll like it just fine too.)

But I come from the generation of fans who sat through the Trek drought of the mid-late 70s. For me, any new onscreen Trek is good. Like pizza.

I like pizza.
Weird, cuz I'm from that same group, and yet I'd be much happier to have less TREK if it meant more good TREK.

Same for Bond. I suffered mightily during the Moore era, and still would be happy to have no Bond between 1970 & 1986 (only real loss would be having less Ken Adam, John Barry & Derek Meddings moments, but then again those moments could have happened for different films) and to have had no Bonds at all this century either, (except for about 10 minutes of QUANTUM.)

I like pizza too, but if you remember Shakey's Pizza, you'll recall a certain cardboard quality. Don't really like cardboard, can do without consuming it at all ever.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 10:48 PM   #47
marksound
Fleet Captain

trevanian wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
I like them all. Some more, some less. (I haven't seen STID yet, but I'm sure I'll like it just fine too.)

But I come from the generation of fans who sat through the Trek drought of the mid-late 70s. For me, any new onscreen Trek is good. Like pizza.

I like pizza.
Weird, cuz I'm from that same group, and yet I'd be much happier to have less TREK if it meant more good TREK.

Same for Bond. I suffered mightily during the Moore era, and still would be happy to have no Bond between 1970 & 1986 (only real loss would be having less Ken Adam, John Barry & Derek Meddings moments, but then again those moments could have happened for different films) and to have had no Bonds at all this century either, (except for about 10 minutes of QUANTUM.)

I like pizza too, but if you remember Shakey's Pizza, you'll recall a certain cardboard quality. Don't really like cardboard, can do without consuming it at all ever.
But I loved Shakey's Pizza.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 12:11 AM   #48
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

^So did I. And then we got a Round Table Pizza place.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 12:37 AM   #49
xvicente
Commander

The curse is real. Odd Treks are bad and even good.

As long as you consider the numbers 6, 8 and 10 as odd, 1 and 3 even, and 5 "half-odd". Then there's no problem.

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2013, 01:35 PM   #50
Smellmet
Captain

I don't buy the curse at all - The Motion Picture is one my fave Trek films, 3 is a solid entry, Generations & Inssurection have their moments, the only truly bad one for me is 5, and I love all the campfire scenes in that
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 05:09 AM   #51
Zippo and Flask
Lieutenant Junior Grade

The Star Trek odd-numbered movie curse reminds me of the Night Court bailiff curse. After two elderly, chain-smoking women who stared on the show as bailiffs died during the show's first few seasons, it gained a reputation, for a while, of being cursed.
Zippo and Flask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 09:36 AM   #52
neoworx
Lieutenant

trevanian wrote: View Post
Well put!
neoworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 10:32 AM   #53
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The only bad Trek film is Nemesis (and that one truly stinks on every possible level), all others are good to great.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 10:59 AM   #54
F. King Daniel
Admiral

But I like Nemesis
Old August 6 2013, 01:29 PM   #55
Smellmet
Captain

I just don't get the hate for Nemesis, I rank it in the top 3 or 4, I know some of the plot is a bit contrived and silly (dune buggy sequence I'm talking to you) but the end battle is the best in all 12 films for me, and I enjoyed quite a lot of the character moments - the wedding in particular. I rank it alongside First Contact
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 01:37 PM   #56
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
But I like Nemesis
You also like nuTrek.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 05:50 AM   #57
Dukhat
Commodore

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
But I like Nemesis
You also like nuTrek.
Well they can't both be true...I'm going to guess that he was lying about liking Nemesis
Old August 7 2013, 09:54 AM   #58
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

You know what, of the 12 trek movies I can honestly say I like 12 of them.

None are great pieces of cinema (TWOK probably comes closest) but all are solid 3 or 4 star films in a series I consistently enjoy, and I could spend hours on the Internet criticising them, but I still find myself running through all the discs once a year or so!
Old August 7 2013, 04:41 PM   #59
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Smellmet wrote: View Post
I just don't get the hate for Nemesis, I rank it in the top 3 or 4, I know some of the plot is a bit contrived and silly (dune buggy sequence I'm talking to you) but the end battle is the best in all 12 films for me, and I enjoyed quite a lot of the character moments - the wedding in particular. I rank it alongside First Contact
For me just about everything in NEM is contrived badly. Picard BREAKS HIS PHASER RIFLE on one bad guy, making this tough field weapon unusable, then his 24th century holster -- which doesn't even have the secure functionality of a berns-martin triple drawer holster circa 1956 -- allows his other phaser to fall out and be left on the deck. Moments later, we have him able to rip a stanchion off the wall to conveniently impale min-whoosis. THAT'S ALL JUST IN THE SPAN OF A MINUTE OR TWO!

If the movie had been working on ANY thrusters, I wouldn't have been distracted by all of this till later, but the fact I noticed this all as it happened first run is a pretty marvelous indicator of the script's failings -- no surprise there -- and especially Baird's.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 04:48 PM   #60
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I'm not sure how much real control any director had over any of the TNG films. These movies really seemed to be driven from the top (Berman).