Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old August 1 2013, 05:00 PM   #1
Noddy
Captain

Alexander Marcus/John Paxton connection?

I know it probably wasn't intended by the filmmakers, but I've been wondering if Admiral Marcus might be descended from John Frederick Paxton, from ENT "Demons" and "Terra Prime." Could such a link go some way towards explaining his attitudes?
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 05:20 PM   #2
6079SmithW
Vice Admiral

Re: Alexander Marcus/John Paxton connection?

I don't think so. Although there is a slight chance he could be related to Paxton and is "carrying on the family cause", you don't have to be a relative of someone to share their views. He could have studied Terra Prime and sympathized to a degree or could have developed his militant philosophy on his own. Besides, their goals were different. Paxton was xenophobic and wanted to rid earth of aliens while Marcus was going for a pre-emptive strike against a foreign power.
Old August 1 2013, 05:21 PM   #3
Pavonis
Commodore

Why must there be a link? At most they're two people who resemble each other somewhat despite living a century apart. You may as well ask if Captain Ron Tracey and Dr. Simon Van Gelder are related, or whether Dr. Ann Mulhall is a relative of Dr. Katherine Pulaski.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 05:43 PM   #4
Noddy
Captain

I think Marcus could be said to be xenophobic to some degree, seeing as how he evidently strongly dislikes major alien powers, notably the Klingons, and seeks to destroy/subjugate them, making the Federation more totalitarian.
Old August 1 2013, 05:56 PM   #5
Melakon
Rear Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Why must there be a link? At most they're two people who resemble each other somewhat despite living a century apart. You may as well ask if Captain Ron Tracey and Dr. Simon Van Gelder are related, or whether Dr. Ann Mulhall is a relative of Dr. Katherine Pulaski.
Agreed. You might as well ask if James T. Kirk is related to T. J. Hooker and a guy who saw a gremlin on an airplane wing, since they all resemble each other.
Old August 1 2013, 08:05 PM   #6
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Noddy wrote: View Post
I think Marcus could be said to be xenophobic to some degree, seeing as how he evidently strongly dislikes major alien powers, notably the Klingons, and seeks to destroy/subjugate them, making the Federation more totalitarian.
While there was indeed a certain amount of speculation about a possible Paxton connection from the time Weller's casting was announced, I don't think such a link is really necessary in order for Marcus to exhibit any or all of the qualities you list.
Old August 1 2013, 08:17 PM   #7
Kevman7987
Commander

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile

I don't think there is any connection between them beside the fact they both share resemblance to a cyborg police officer from near future Detroit.
Old August 1 2013, 09:01 PM   #8
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

No connection - just like there's no connection between Christine Chapel and Captain Pike's mysterious "Number One" (although fans have been linking them for 40+ years!)
Old August 3 2013, 01:07 PM   #9
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

I keep telling you that, but you all keep ignoring me. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark. It's hardly a coincidence that Paxton and Marcus look the same. And why does Carol Marcus look like Elizabeth Dehner? Has it ever occurred to anyone they are Bashir's paternal grandmothers? And if Khan stealing the voice of Smaug to lure Dr. Watson wasn't obvious enough, Pike now looks like the POTUS. And what's up with Uhura looking like the cave girl from Avatar and Spock looking like Dr. William Bell? You, young man, can't explain that.

If we think really hard about it on moloko plus, we can go deeper. If Enterprise is not canon, and Into Darkness is not canon, does that mean that they are different, or that they are the same? Is it the same fake continuity, or are they separate universes having each other's fake counterparts? I guess the real question you need to be asking yourself is... Does Enterprise's Quinto have a beard?

I have sent Ensign Marty Stu-Roddenberry to investigate.
Old August 5 2013, 04:06 PM   #10
Noddy
Captain

On the subject of Admiral Marcus, how long was he a member of Section 31? Did he join them before or after the destruction of Vulcan?
Old August 5 2013, 10:44 PM   #11
Devon
Fleet Captain

Noddy wrote: View Post
On the subject of Admiral Marcus, how long was he a member of Section 31? Did he join them before or after the destruction of Vulcan?
IF I have the sequence right, Star Trek ID takes place 6 months after the last film. Harrison mentions he was discovered by Marcus after Vulcan's destruction, and he and his buddies were thawed out and used for weapons development. This would imply that perhaps Marcus was already part of Second 31 at this point. Also Marcus' ship had probably been in development for a while as large as it was.
Old August 5 2013, 11:18 PM   #12
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I though ID was a year after STXI? Kirk was marooned on Delta Vega on Stardate 2258.42, and the London scene at the start of Into Darkness is Stardate 2259.55.

I figured Marcus had been a part of Section 31 for years. He seemed to be running them as well as Starfleet, as opposed to prior Treks where Starfleet admirals (like Ross) have been their pawns.
Old August 6 2013, 07:54 AM   #13
Devon
Fleet Captain

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I though ID was a year after STXI? Kirk was marooned on Delta Vega on Stardate 2258.42, and the London scene at the start of Into Darkness is Stardate 2259.55.
That's probably right. Even though I've seen the film, the 6 month thing was mentioned before the film came out and that probably just stuck with me. My apologies.
Old August 6 2013, 04:58 PM   #14
Roboturner913
Lieutenant Commander

What I really want to know is, how Hardcastle ended up living on a Bajoran moon and McCormick is a Baku!
Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote