RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,386
Posts: 5,447,215
Members: 24,973
Currently online: 445
Newest member: turndizy

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Treachery, Faith and the Great River
By: Michelle on Nov 1

Crowded Coop Trek-Themed Bags and Wallets
By: T'Bonz on Oct 31

Original Series Hoodies
By: T'Bonz on Oct 31

Star Trek-Planet Of The Apes Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Oct 31

November-December 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Oct 31

Kruge Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 31 2013, 02:26 PM   #16
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: JJverse converts

I would think it would be like wondering how many people became fans of Lost in Space after the movie. Probably not many, they are such different beasts. "Does Uhura just sit there the whole time?"

Speaking of TOS vs TNG, I think TNG might work better for young people (God I sound old) because take away the dated FX, hairstyles and what not it still presents itself much like a contemporary show. TOS on the other hand is gloriously 60s which I think may be more challenging for them to relate to.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 06:06 PM   #17
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral
 
Location: On the USS Sovereign
Re: JJverse converts

It sounds as if very few by percentage. ...
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 07:52 PM   #18
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: JJverse converts

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
How likely is it for viewers of either or both movies to be inspired to watch TOS episodes and become a fan of it?
I watched the TOS series because of the movies

To clarify I did watch the series when I was a kid. I can recall that much but besides remembering Spock & Kirk I couldn't tell you anything about the series at all.

After the 2009 film I watched a few of the "best episodes" I enjoyed the TOS episodes I saw but not to the point that I can say I became a fan.

Then after I saw Into Darkness I decided to watch episodes again and something just clicked that hadn't before. I definitely checked more episodes this time and I also discovered how much I love McCoy. I remember in 2009 I focused just on the Spock/Kirk friendship but this time I realized that McCoy was also an important aspect and well I think he was that missing link for me. I like Kirk/Spock/McCoy more than Spock/Kirk.

As for the JJ movies. I enjoyed them well enough but I can't say I think they are the most amazing thing ever. They feel like a typical action movie. Maybe a bit better than a typical action movie, but I like the original series a lot more. I might not even have gone to Into Darkness except I am a big fan of Cumberbatch.

And also I have always liked classic TV and film so watching the original series after the movie was not a weird transition for me personally. In fact you can say I wanted to watch classic Trek because it is classic.


edit: I was born in the 1980's so I grew up during the TNG era (which I also watched but can barely recall much from it). I never saw any of the TOS movies until recently, probably because neither of my parents were fans.
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 12:39 AM   #19
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
Re: JJverse converts

Jeri wrote: View Post
Our college-age nephew is a huge Star Wars fan, but he liked Star Trek 2009; so when he visited, I played him the (second) pilot of the Original Series. He was polite but yawning by the time it was over.

He had to ask me whether the episode was well thought of, whether people thought it was a good episode or not; I guess he couldn't tell for himself and wanted to know if it was representative.
Would it have helped to mention that the 2nd pilot was (maybe still is, I dunno) the only TV episode in history to be deposited in the Smithsonian?

With the surprising-to-me large percentage of youngers who don't seem to 'reach' TOS, I'm wondering if any of them can get through FORBIDDEN PLANET or THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL or COLOSSUS THE FORBIN PROJECT, to name 3 pretty solid pics (even if FP has got some 50s-isms that are flinch-worthy.) I'm thinking 2001 would be totally off the table for most, if it is a matter of attention span.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 12:44 AM   #20
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: JJverse converts

trevanian wrote: View Post

Would it have helped to mention that the 2nd pilot was (maybe still is, I dunno) the only TV episode in history to be deposited in the Smithsonian?

With the surprising-to-me large percentage of youngers who don't seem to 'reach' TOS, I'm wondering if any of them can get through FORBIDDEN PLANET or THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL or COLOSSUS THE FORBIN PROJECT, to name 3 pretty solid pics (even if FP has got some 50s-isms that are flinch-worthy.) I'm thinking 2001 would be totally off the table for most, if it is a matter of attention span.
I don't think it's a matter of attention span. I think it more comes down to the fact that the world newer generations have grown up in is very different than the world we grew up in.
__________________
"If I hadn't tried, the cost would have been my soul." - Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 02:29 PM   #21
Jeri
Vice Admiral
 
Jeri's Avatar
 
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Re: JJverse converts

I think the only remedy is probably going to be a new Trek series that is relevant to the world they're living in now.
__________________
I was Jeri before she was.
Isis made animated by Carpe Occasio; thanks!
Jeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 02:33 PM   #22
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: JJverse converts

Jeri wrote: View Post
I think the only remedy is probably going to be a new Trek series that is relevant to the world they're living in now.
Pretty much.
__________________
"If I hadn't tried, the cost would have been my soul." - Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 05:35 PM   #23
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
Re: JJverse converts

BillJ wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post

Would it have helped to mention that the 2nd pilot was (maybe still is, I dunno) the only TV episode in history to be deposited in the Smithsonian?

With the surprising-to-me large percentage of youngers who don't seem to 'reach' TOS, I'm wondering if any of them can get through FORBIDDEN PLANET or THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL or COLOSSUS THE FORBIN PROJECT, to name 3 pretty solid pics (even if FP has got some 50s-isms that are flinch-worthy.) I'm thinking 2001 would be totally off the table for most, if it is a matter of attention span.
I don't think it's a matter of attention span. I think it more comes down to the fact that the world newer generations have grown up in is very different than the world we grew up in.
Wouldn't explain the continued relevancy of others that have withstood the test of time.

I also think that the changes in our world are largely cosmetic. We don't have to go downtown to the library to do our research, but we still have governments discrediting do-gooders or those who think outside proscribed boxes, and crimes predicated on race and so many other damn things that are the same that it isn't funny.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 05:43 PM   #24
Gojira
Commodore
 
Gojira's Avatar
 
Location: Stompin' on Tokyo
Re: JJverse converts

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I would think it would be like wondering how many people became fans of Lost in Space after the movie. Probably not many, they are such different beasts. "Does Uhura just sit there the whole time?"

Speaking of TOS vs TNG, I think TNG might work better for young people (God I sound old) because take away the dated FX, hairstyles and what not it still presents itself much like a contemporary show. TOS on the other hand is gloriously 60s which I think may be more challenging for them to relate to.
The first two seasons of TNG scream 1980s to me, but as the series went on I think it presented a view/tone that still holds up well today.
__________________
My Science Fiction-Fantasy movie review Blog: http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/
Gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 05:49 PM   #25
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: JJverse converts

trevanian wrote: View Post

Wouldn't explain the continued relevancy of others that have withstood the test of time.

I also think that the changes in our world are largely cosmetic. We don't have to go downtown to the library to do our research, but we still have governments discrediting do-gooders or those who think outside proscribed boxes, and crimes predicated on race and so many other damn things that are the same that it isn't funny.
I grew up in the 70's and 80's and I think the world is a far different place.

I can easily see where some stories simply wouldn't work for newer audiences, even though I love them. One that I would point to right off the bat is The Conscience of the King (an episode I love). My daughter asked a very straight forward question when she was a bit younger: why don't they simply do a DNA test? I know and you know that wasn't even on the radar in 1960's storytelling. But I could easily see it being a stumbling block to someone who has known about DNA almost their entire lives.
__________________
"If I hadn't tried, the cost would have been my soul." - Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 06:11 PM   #26
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: JJverse converts

BillJ wrote: View Post
I can easily see where some stories simply wouldn't work for newer audiences, even though I love them. One that I would point to right off the bat is The Conscience of the King (an episode I love). My daughter asked a very straight forward question when she was a bit younger: why don't they simply do a DNA test? I know and you know that wasn't even on the radar in 1960's storytelling. But I could easily see it being a stumbling block to someone who has known about DNA almost their entire lives.

And this of course is where you explain that DNA testing for criminal investigations wasn't even on the radar in the 1960's.

I think it is hard for a lot of people (not just kids) to accept that Sci-fi about the future doesn't show you the future but a reflection of the present of the time period it was made.

I think to help kids appreciate something classic you have to give them a little historical context. And you can say while they didn't predict the DNA thing here are a few things that the series did predict.
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 06:30 PM   #27
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: JJverse converts

Kinokima wrote: View Post

I think to help kids appreciate something classic you have to give them a little historical context. And you can say while they didn't predict the DNA thing here are a few things that the series did predict.
Being a father of three, I can tell you it simply isn't that easy.

I will make concessions for TOS that I simply won't make for most other things I watch. Society is different and so is technology. We're expecting today's kids to make the leaps we do and then say they have ADD when they can't or don't want to do it. Which simply isn't fair to them (some do make the leap which is cool).

Would TOS make the same impact on me today if I was an adolescent? I honestly don't know as there is much more competition in the world today.
__________________
"If I hadn't tried, the cost would have been my soul." - Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 06:42 PM   #28
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: JJverse converts

BillJ wrote: View Post
I will make concessions for TOS that I simply won't make for most other things I watch. Society is different and so is technology. We're expecting today's kids to make the leaps we do and then say they have ADD when they can't or don't want to do it. Which simply isn't fair to them (some do make the leap which is cool).
I understand kids shouldn't be expected to make the leap on their own that is why it needs to be explained to them.

And I am not saying once explained kids will suddenly appreciate it. It depends on the kid, but I think trying to give them some context does help.
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 06:50 PM   #29
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: JJverse converts

Kinokima wrote: View Post

I understand kids shouldn't be expected to make the leap on their own that is why it needs to be explained to them.

And I am not saying once explained kids will suddenly appreciate it. It depends on the kid, but I think trying to give them some context does help.
I've watched Star Trek with all three of my kids and it has stuck to varying degrees. My daughter likes the original, unaltered episodes even though she has questioned the science, my oldest son pokes holes in the plot logic/science of every single episode he's watched and my youngest son has trouble staying engaged with episodes of TOS, but watched Into Darkness straight through without budging and I even caught him rubbing tears out of his eyes when a certain scene happened.

I'm honestly just tired of people saying that kids today have ADD if they don't somehow enjoy a very sexist, scientifically inaccurate TV show that is fifty-years old.

When I read TOS novels, I actually imagine the technology with more of a modern interpretation.
__________________
"If I hadn't tried, the cost would have been my soul." - Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 06:52 PM   #30
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral
 
Dr. Sevrin's Avatar
 
Location: Melakon's grave
Re: JJverse converts

All I can say is, it's a good thing TOS was filmed in color, or some people would refuse to watch it just because of that. It saddens me that there are those who ignore some of the greatest films in history because they're in black and white.
__________________
Dr. Sevrin is insane.
Dr. Sevrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.