Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old August 1 2013, 06:15 AM   #31
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn
Re: Janeway's Children

R. Star wrote: View Post
KaraBear wrote: View Post
In all honest I actually kind of like Threshold. If you overlook the lizard part, the warp 10 parts were interesting
That's like saying the Unibomber is an alright guy when he's not making or mailing bombs.
I have to agree there.

I mean, I'm a hardcore VOY fan and even most dedicated fans of the show dislike Threshold

I am rewatching TNG at the moment from beginning to end and in one episode they go over Warp 10 and DO NOT turn into hyper evolved lizards. So I think it's BUNK.
Old August 1 2013, 07:41 AM   #32
Captain Ransom
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I always wondered that as well. It fixed Janeway and Paris easy enough. What deadbeat parents just abandoning your kids on a deserted planet. They're gonna be angry when they grow up.
Melakon wrote: View Post
Dang, R. Star, I think you just discovered the plot to a possible Voyager movie!
Could it be... "Wrath of the Salamanders?"

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
In all honest I actually kind of like Threshold. If you overlook the lizard part, the warp 10 parts were interesting
That's like saying the Unibomber is an alright guy when he's not making or mailing bombs.
I have to agree there.

I mean, I'm a hardcore VOY fan and even most dedicated fans of the show dislike Threshold

I am rewatching TNG at the moment from beginning to end and in one episode they go over Warp 10 and DO NOT turn into hyper evolved lizards. So I think it's BUNK.
*raises hand*

I'm another hardcore VOY fan here who INTENSELY dislikes this episode.

Actually, it is perhaps the one Star Trek episode of any series that I have tried to re-watch and absolutely cannot. It just hurts to watch the part with his teeth and tongue... my fears of oral and throat cancer will not permit it. =(
Old August 1 2013, 10:47 AM   #33
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I have to agree there.

I LOVE THRESHOLD.

The Captain mutates, mates and successfully breeds with a member of her crew. NO other Treks even come close to this level of campy freakshow.

In TNG Barclay devolves into a spider.

In ENT Trip gets impregnated and grows a nipple (admittedly the nipple part was cool).

But only in Voyager do we get mutating, mating AND breeding all at once, I mean THE CAPTAIN of a starship has given birth to three children while she was a salamander. Three children that are still out there in the galaxy.

You have to admit that is much more interesting than Kirk's blonde kid who got killed five minutes after we met him.

Threshold is completely underrated. Starts off as perfectly normal sci fi story about breaking a warp barrier and blahdeblah.. it's surreal and it's weirdass and it's provided viewers with endless jests and speculations about Our Captain's abandoned babies. And I bet the J/P crowd have some happy times too.

Speaking of which, is B'Elanna ever jealous that her husband has already had three children before Miral with her Captain? Does it cause a little tension if it comes up? Of course both Paris and Janeway don't want it to come up, they want to forget about it, but there it is in her service record AND HIS (I just looked it up). Anyone looking up B'Elanna's new hubby she came back from the DQ with is going to go uhhh.... and try and get the lowdown on what happened. So it is NEVER going away.

Oh, here is a present for you haters. It's visitation day and Janeway and Paris take one of their offspring to the Fair before returning him/her to their foster family who actually cares about them.

I wonder how B'Elanna feels about being a step mother?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 01:07 PM   #34
Stoo
Captain

Part of what's dumb about threshold is the idea that one little isolated ship is somehow on the cutting edge of engine development. That kind of thing takes large research institutes with resources and experts on hand. Not a bunch of officers more worried about keeping their own systems running and dodging Kazon attacks.

ok, that's a nerd complaint that's rather overshadowed by the ridiculousness of "Paris does warp 10 which turns him into giant newt, then gets Janeway turned into a newt and they have newt babies". Which is the worst sounding sounding premise since "beverly crusher has sex with a ghost that lives in a candle".
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 01:54 PM   #35
KaraBear
Captain

I have to agree there.

to each their own. Like I said I thought the parts about going warp 10 were interesting

there are a few episodes that I think are actuall WORSE than Threshold
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 03:27 PM   #36
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

teacake wrote: View Post

I have to agree there.

I LOVE THRESHOLD.

The Captain mutates, mates and successfully breeds with a member of her crew. NO other Treks even come close to this level of campy freakshow.

In TNG Barclay devolves into a spider.

In ENT Trip gets impregnated and grows a nipple (admittedly the nipple part was cool).

But only in Voyager do we get mutating, mating AND breeding all at once, I mean THE CAPTAIN of a starship has given birth to three children while she was a salamander. Three children that are still out there in the galaxy.

You have to admit that is much more interesting than Kirk's blonde kid who got killed five minutes after we met him.

Threshold is completely underrated. Starts off as perfectly normal sci fi story about breaking a warp barrier and blahdeblah.. it's surreal and it's weirdass and it's provided viewers with endless jests and speculations about Our Captain's abandoned babies. And I bet the J/P crowd have some happy times too.

Speaking of which, is B'Elanna ever jealous that her husband has already had three children before Miral with her Captain? Does it cause a little tension if it comes up? Of course both Paris and Janeway don't want it to come up, they want to forget about it, but there it is in her service record AND HIS (I just looked it up). Anyone looking up B'Elanna's new hubby she came back from the DQ with is going to go uhhh.... and try and get the lowdown on what happened. So it is NEVER going away.

Oh, here is a present for you haters. It's visitation day and Janeway and Paris take one of their offspring to the Fair before returning him/her to their foster family who actually cares about them.

I wonder how B'Elanna feels about being a step mother?
Your argument for Threshold is solid.

Still don't like rewatching it though.

It did, however, make for some awesome YouTube videos.
Old August 1 2013, 03:28 PM   #37
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Maybe "Tattoo" is worse?
Old August 1 2013, 04:01 PM   #38
KaraBear
Captain

Maybe "Tattoo" is worse?
The Fight, Cold Fire, Tattoo...I think they are worse than Threshold for sure
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 04:09 PM   #39
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Could it be... "Wrath of the Salamanders?"
If that were made a movie, I'd have to reconsider my feelings about Threshold.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 05:27 PM   #40
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Heck, you're one time travel episode away from the salamander kids turning into the Voth.
Old August 1 2013, 10:24 PM   #41
Lynx
Rear Admiral

I actually like to watch "Threshold". If I think of it as a nightmare Janeway had after eating too much of Neelix's food and that it actually never happened, then I can enjoy the funny parts of it. And there are a lot of funny parts in "Threshold".

Yes, there were episodes which were much worse. Episodes like "Fury", "The Gift" and "Endgame". At least, I didn't feel insulted by "Threshold"

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at: http://lynx677.byethost12.com
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2013, 12:01 AM   #42
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Lynx wrote: View Post
I actually like to watch "Threshold". If I think of it as a nightmare Janeway had after eating too much of Neelix's food and that it actually never happened
Oh, it happened. Salamander sex!
Old August 8 2013, 04:32 AM   #43
skadoo
Cadet

Lynx wrote: View Post
I actually like to watch "Threshold". If I think of it as a nightmare Janeway had after eating too much of Neelix's food and that it actually never happened
Oh, it happened. Salamander sex!
I always thought of it as lizard lambada.
skadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 05:08 AM   #44
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Think of it this way, if there ever was a Mirror Universe version of Voyager "Threshold" show's that Mirror Paris would've been the "Captain's Boy".
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2013, 09:01 AM   #45
Lipton
Lieutenant Commander

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. This was the worst episode, but not even because of the salamander babies. The salamander babies part was actually more like Trek, and that's saying something.

It was the removal of the tongue. The way it was presented, music and all, turned the show into a cheesy horror film for a few minutes. It was almost not even the same genre as Star Trek anymore... Some other episodes did this to a degree, but not nearly as bad as this one. For that reason, this is IMO the worst Voyager episode.

Besides that, it was also gory and disgusting. When I saw it as a kid, my mom just thought the salamander part was stupid. We all laughed at that. But she almost had to turn it off during the tongue part. It was almost too much for prime time TV in that era.

My reaction when I saw it was to gag real hard and almost spit tacos all over the floor.

"Tuvok, has anyone ever told you, you're a real freakasaurus?" - Tom Paris

Last edited by Lipton; August 8 2013 at 09:25 AM.
Lipton is offline   Reply With Quote