Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 29 2013, 07:59 PM   #16
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Re: The Computers of Star Trek

I'll take your word for it, I was looking at Anne Francis.
The Old Mixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 08:21 PM   #17
Redfern
Commodore

Concerning "antiquated" sound effects for indicating computer operation, one that really "telegraphed" the point was a movie that debuted some 13 years after TOS wrapped production, BladeRunner. Remember the scene when Deckard analyzes the photos (snapped by one of the replicants of their hideout). He feeds the image into a slot of his machine and when displayed upon the screen, he issues verbal commands, such as "zoom", "pan", etc. along with grid coordinates. Each time he does this, we hear a shutter release styled "clack, clack, clack". I just find that amusing since we use scanners (which make a slight "hum" at worst) and image editors like PhotoShop which are completely silent unless we purposely rig "sound events" for "shiggles". Plus by using a "pointer" system like a mouse, the whole process is silent unless we just like talking to ourselves.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 09:13 PM   #18
Timo
Admiral

Then again, people all over the world deliberately choose, and even insist on, artificially produced shutter noises on their cameras and camera phones. Plus they insist on these things making all sorts of other noise as well. It's sometimes damned difficult to tell whether a machine is really doing what it's expected to do otherwise.

And why should a mouse be superior to a voice interface? People thirty years back wouldn't understand why anybody would want to move a hand controller around if one can simply talk to the computer instead; it's not difficult to see people thirty years forward considering that insane, too.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 10:12 PM   #19
Richard Baker
Commander

'Scotty picks up the mouse "Helloo computer..." (ST4)

To this day most computers make noises, usually beeping, when text is appearing on a screen. I have been using computers since the old 8088 days and not one did a screen display make a noise with a display (or for that matter, having text appear one word at a time...).

I do like the big glowy light panels on TOS computers like the M5- you got the impression imporant things were happening, you just could tell what exactly.
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2013, 11:51 PM   #20
publiusr
Commodore

Agreed. Seeing the ball head spit out--on paper--the words ANDROMEDA STRAIN in the movie of the same name..added gavitas to the scene. The chatter we used to hear in newsrooms, etc. All the President's Men was lovely to not only watch, but hear. It was a loud movie. Haptics are needed...we are adding sound effects to cars after all, to show they are working. MEMs might allow a return to virus proof mechanical computers..who knows?

My way of explaining this is that pre-TOS, we did have the cyberpunk future, but there was a new focus on austerity to keep folks on task.

You can travel on your bullet train where no one talks to each other---download Mars on your touchscreen devices--or you can join us in starfleet.

No glamour here...not so many diversions--except the destination itself. Want your vid-coms? stay home. Our communicators are voice only--to keep your eyes open to your surroundings.

Here you must remember buttons withoust displays, like old SEAL teams used to throw folks in water to half drown them.

In return...we will take you to the stars.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2013, 01:03 AM   #21
Metryq
Captain

publiusr wrote: View Post
like old SEAL teams used to throw folks in water to half drown them.
Retired Marines have told me about "drown proofing," where the DIs push one down in a pool with long poles.
Old July 30 2013, 03:48 AM   #22
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Computers in TV and movies still make lots of little clicks, bleeps and bloops that real computers never make. It's as if the audience absolutely must have an aural cue to know that the computer is doing something.

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Robbie was intended to represent super-high tech in his day, and now he's basically steampunk. But still gorgeous.
Steampunk refers to fictional technology that looks futuristic from a 19th-century viewpoint. Robby was more like "atompunk."

publiusr wrote: View Post
. . . Seeing the ball head spit out--on paper--the words ANDROMEDA STRAIN in the movie of the same name..added gravitas to the scene. The chatter we used to hear in newsrooms, etc.
That's one thing I miss -- the clatter of typewriters and electro-mechanical adding machines that you used to hear in any business office. It sounded like WORK!
Old July 30 2013, 05:34 PM   #23
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Metryq wrote: View Post
Many times in TOS the audience sees textual data displayed on a computer screen that is actually the image of a typewritten page—with penned underlining, as seen in "Where No Man Has Gone Before."
Well, actually, they could have been looking at scanned copies of the relevant documents, rather than simple computer data text. The original docs, stored back on Earth, could very well have had hand annotations. Scanning buckets of papers is so much faster than transcribing and someone will always miss some scrawled notes. Actually, Kirk and Spock looking over Mitchell and Dehner's records can be seen as one sequence that isn't dated. It is at least in line with what we do nearly 50 years after the episode was shot.

"Hey, won't we be a paperless society by Star Trek's time?" Not of attorney's have anything to do with it.

I love 60's tech and how blinking lights tell them everything the plot requires.
Old July 31 2013, 01:21 AM   #24
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
I love 60's tech and how blinking lights tell them everything the plot requires.
And sometimes not even blinking lights. In "Court-Martial," when Kirk's trial is convened on the bridge and every heartbeat has been eliminated but one, Kirk tells Spock to "Localize that." Spock tilts his head and squints into the middle distance as if he's finding Finney by ear. And he finds him.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 01:50 AM   #25
Metryq
Captain

KIRK: That's all of us, except for the crewman in the transporter room. Mister Spock, eliminate his heartbeat.

Spock throws a switch and we hear the Wilhelm over the intercom as the transporter operator dies in agony.
Old July 31 2013, 04:21 PM   #26
Timo
Admiral

Well, actually, they could have been looking at scanned copies of the relevant documents, rather than simple computer data text.
Quite so. Although we should remember that TOS never showed us a text-input keyboard, neither QWERTY nor any other sort that would have had all the letters of the alphabet as separate keys. On the other hand, we do see a text-input method that relies on a stylus and a pad. Perhaps inputting text with keyboards is out of fashion, and the standard method is a pen-like device again, resulting in "handwritten" documents.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 06:29 PM   #27
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

KIRK: That's all of us, except for the crewman in the transporter room. Mister Spock, eliminate his heartbeat.

Spock throws a switch and we hear the Wilhelm over the intercom as the transporter operator dies in agony.
Now that was comedy gold.
Old July 31 2013, 09:30 PM   #28
scotpens
Vice Admiral

ssosmcin wrote: View Post

Now that was comedy gold.
That "eliminate his heartbeat" line is a setup just begging for a punchline.
Old July 31 2013, 09:55 PM   #29
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

You know, I'm not sure if I'd ever noticed the random (and very suspicious sounding) Wilhem in that scene before. He probably had a red shirt on, didn't he?

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote