Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 31 2013, 03:07 AM   #31
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: FLASH series being developed for The CW

Well nice to hear he'll be wearing an actual costume at least. Be interesting to see what they come up with.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 05:44 AM   #32
sojourner
Admiral

Maybe they'll have a White Event. That would be a great way to intro this New Universe.
Old July 31 2013, 12:17 PM   #33
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

I wonder if they will tame Barrys powers down to the Wally level back when his series originaly started. Cant exceed the speed of sound, cant vibrate through things, has to eat constantly. A full blown Flash is a very powerful creature. I also hope the Speed Force figures into things. This would allow them to actually introduce dare I say Wally at some point in the series.
Captain Cold, Heatwave, The Top, Captain Boomerang, Mirror Master, Reverse Flash and The Eradicator(no not the Superman one) top my list of villians to see.
Colonel Computron, Big Sir, and Rainbow Raider need never appear.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 02:23 PM   #34
Avalon
Captain

Since they're using Barry Allen (YAY!!!) in the series, I wonder if they'll use Wally West (as the main character) in the movie. Seems like that would be a way to divide series and movie continuities while still allowing crossover with the two characters...Although I guess they can't both be called the Flash if they're both active at the same time? I stopped reading the comic book before Wally showed up, I think.
Old July 31 2013, 02:46 PM   #35
Christopher
Writer

^I've seen stories where Barry, Wally, and Jay were all working together and all called Flash.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 03:10 PM   #36
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

I would think any mention of Jay would be a bad idea. This would mean some type of heroes were out there fighting in the past and again noone remembers them. Best if Ollie and Barry were two of the first.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 03:51 PM   #37
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Jay? Is he the Old School Flash with the Silver Wok for a hat?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 03:55 PM   #38
Christopher
Writer

^Yes, Jay Garrick, the Golden Age Flash, who wore a replica of the Roman god Mercury's helmet.

Old July 31 2013, 05:26 PM   #39
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Flash on TV again....I'm game.

I'm behind and only seen segments of Arrow. Need to watch a few episodes and get a better feel for what that shows tone is like and how that might affect Flash.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 05:46 PM   #40
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I was skeptical at first but with this new information I am cautiously optimistic.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 06:16 PM   #41
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

davejames wrote: View Post
Well nice to hear he'll be wearing an actual costume at least. Be interesting to see what they come up with.
I'm also happy to hear that. No weird black style shirt and trenchcoat like Smallville, or plain green pants/hooded shirt like arrow (I don't dislike arrow's look, I'm just pointing out its more vigilantye than superhero) but an actual costume. I'm hoping its fairly close to classic Barry.

Icemizer wrote: View Post
I wonder if they will tame Barrys powers down to the Wally level back when his series originaly started. Cant exceed the speed of sound, cant vibrate through things, has to eat constantly. A full blown Flash is a very powerful creature. I also hope the Speed Force figures into things. This would allow them to actually introduce dare I say Wally at some point in the series.
Captain Cold, Heatwave, The Top, Captain Boomerang, Mirror Master, Reverse Flash and The Eradicator(no not the Superman one) top my list of villians to see.
Colonel Computron, Big Sir, and Rainbow Raider need never appear.

I don't know, I think Rainbow Raider would be pretty funny to see on the TV

When it comes to powers, I don't want him to be a wimp like in the first Flash TV show. He shouldn't be near death after running a pitiful 2-300 miles. He doesn't neccessarily need to be able to run all the way around the planet in less than 5 seconds (which I remember happening in the comics) but he shouldn't be completely handicapped. The Justice League cartoon did a good job of showing a Flash who wasn't all powerful but wasn't pathetic like the live action one when it comes to powers.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 08:10 PM   #42
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Am I the only one who has trouble picturing how this show could really work? Granted, I haven't seen any DC animated stuff, but if your hero can move so fast he can kick everyone's ass before they even know he's in the room, what danger can he possibly face?

Also, if the tone is considerably more lighthearted, maybe a half-hour format would be best? I doubt they'd do it, because hourlong shows are no doubt much cheaper on a per minute basis, but the live action The Tick had some great light-hearted half-house superhero stories.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 09:00 PM   #43
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Am I the only one who has trouble picturing how this show could really work? Granted, I haven't seen any DC animated stuff, but if your hero can move so fast he can kick everyone's ass before they even know he's in the room, what danger can he possibly face?

Also, if the tone is considerably more lighthearted, maybe a half-hour format would be best? I doubt they'd do it, because hourlong shows are no doubt much cheaper on a per minute basis, but the live action The Tick had some great light-hearted half-house superhero stories.
How is the Flash, with his Super Speed, any more difficult to imagine then Superman, who has so many other powers on top of Super Speed? Or Thor who's a God?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 09:13 PM   #44
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well you could make the same argument for Spider-Man as well. With his spider sense, he should logically be able to dodge or evade every punch that's thrown at him.

But the movies (and cartoons, etc) conveniently ignore that fact for the most part, and I'm sure this Flash series will do the same with Flash's superspeed.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 09:56 PM   #45
Christopher
Writer

I expect the Flash's abilities on the show will be not quite as exaggerated as they are in the comics. I mean, they'd pretty much have to be, or you'd never see him move at all; he'd just seemingly teleport somewhere else.