TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old July 3 2013, 01:14 AM   #1
erifah
Captain

Halo Class Variant Type II WIP

Just playing around with general hull shapes and nacelle strut configurations.

erifah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Cjohnson1701
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Halo Class Variant Type II WIP

This reminds me of the Enterprise-J sooo much since I first saw it. Then I looked again and it looks like a pair of Scissors. I have to say, I loved you're earlier design, was thinking of modeling that one next after I finish the USS Pike. If that's okay with you.
Cjohnson1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2013, 09:01 PM   #3
erifah
Captain

Cjohnson1701 wrote: View Post
...was thinking of modeling that one next after I finish the USS Pike. If that's okay with you.
That would be SO cool.
Old July 31 2013, 03:29 AM   #4
erifah
Captain

Just a few updates:

Oh, and no, I do NOT know what the thingies are at the end of the circular warp nacelles. I think they involve pollination or reproduction or something.

Last edited by erifah; July 31 2013 at 03:44 AM.
Old July 31 2013, 07:15 PM   #5
JES
Captain

The things on the end could be stabilizers of some sort for slipstream or transwarp travel.
I see those coils as helping to smoothen the transition from slipstream, warp, transwarp, and/or normal space, or to make sure the slipstream window and/or transwarp conduit closes without causing any damage/disturbance to normal space, or vice versa.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2013, 09:18 PM   #6
erifah
Captain

JES wrote: View Post
The things on the end could be stabilizers of some sort for slipstream or transwarp travel.
I see those coils as helping to smoothen the transition from slipstream, warp, transwarp, and/or normal space, or to make sure the slipstream window and/or transwarp conduit closes without causing any damage/disturbance to normal space, or vice versa.
WTF? Are you spying on me? I had just now decided that that is exactly what they're for!

When those rings are spinning, I'd imagine they make quite a fuss as they whip and churn and in that manner fold space into a frothy lather to achieve their warp effect.

Last edited by erifah; July 31 2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old August 1 2013, 05:48 PM   #7
Colonel Midnight
Vice Admiral

Perhaps they're similar in use to what the USS Jellyfish had in Trek XI?

Cheers,
-CM-

0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
Colonel Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2013, 06:54 PM   #8
lennier1
Rear Admiral

Scissors combined with a frying pan? Interesting choice.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2013, 10:42 PM   #9
publiusr
Commodore

I love the antenna rectify-ers...
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 08:21 PM   #10
erifah
Captain

NOW I have to decide how big this thing is.

I've always wanted to do a "giant" starship, but the whole idea always strikes me as being too much of the fanboy wet dream - "a starship 5 miles long! With turbo-transwarp drive! And fifty DeathRay 3000 phaser cannons!"

But with my tastes for long, thin, delicate designs, I think this one could work as a biggie without being TOO preposterous. It would be big and fast, yet sometimes clumsy and difficult to handle - like a Boeing 777 at a small airport. NO death cannons.

How about if what now appears to be the bridge module becomes huge, and is the entire habitable section of the saucer? And everything else is internal docking space and equipment? I'm thinking basically a mobile space dock.

The saucer rim would be comprised of numerous docking ports & landing pads, as well as equipment and machinery.
Old August 11 2013, 10:22 PM   #11
publiusr
Commodore

I like the idea of the bridge cluster--looks a lot like the complex atop the Planet of the Titans art.
Old August 13 2013, 09:35 PM   #12
JES
Captain

erifah wrote: View Post
JES wrote: View Post
WTF? Are you spying on me? I had just now decided that that is exactly what they're for!

When those rings are spinning, I'd imagine they make quite a fuss as they whip and churn and in that manner fold space into a frothy lather to achieve their warp effect.
Spying? Nonsense!!

What? You think you're the only resident Chief Engineer?

At least glancing through starship design schematics is a requirement for any starship designer, even if I'm constantly employing technology to occasionally circumvent occasional technical limitations. Every starship designer knows that the best place to put any space-resmoothing apparatuses is at the rear tip of the ship.
Though maybe it was one of your assistant engineers who mentioned something, and I just put two-and-two together!
JES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 06:42 AM   #13
erifah
Captain

A few updates:

I'm still trying to develop a plausible flat, 3-spinning-ring-warp-coils warp nacelle. Obviously, without a traditional tube, there's no place to put the traditional Bussard collector. Maybe the trailing thingie on the back serves the same "gathering free hydrogen" function?

This here's the bridge module - but it appears to me that it is shaping up to be more of a command and habitat complex, with the rest of the saucer serving as space for machinery, cargo, and space dock functions.

The bridge itself isn't the big dome in the center... rather, I think it is going to be one of the smaller circles.

I like the idea of a cluster of towers and domes are on top of the saucer. Maybe even a massive atrium or something. I don't know, I'm just toying with things:

Here's how the entire ship itself looks so far. I decided that a nice Probert-esque oval would be much more pleasing to the eye in shape and balance.

I still really haven't worked out properly how big it is. I HATE Fanboy wet dream designs. But I'm leaning towards something that is, indeed, gigantic, basically the marriage of a starship and a space dock:

Old October 15 2013, 12:30 AM   #14
publiusr
Commodore

Maybe have the aft antenna spiral a bit?
Old October 16 2013, 01:26 AM   #15
erifah
Captain

publiusr wrote: View Post
Maybe have the aft antenna spiral a bit?
Like a corkscrew, fixin' to uncork a gigantic bottle of Chateau Picard wine?